• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall Prescription

DripCoffee

Greenlighter
Hey all,

I'm not sure where to put this post because I'm new here (been a lurker for years), and I'm also super tired so I'll try to keep it short.

Just got some decent health insurance for the first time in my adult life and you bet I'm going to go to the dentist and the lady doctor and all of the doctors. I'm also looking to find a psychiatrist to get prescribed Adderall. I used it years back consistently. It'd take on 15MG dose in the morning once a day right before breakfast, bought it through a friend. It was the only time in my life I really had clarity. I've been struggling entirely with formulating sentences. Sometimes simple words have to be picked up for me by other people because my mind wanders during the middle of a sentence. I feel so damn SLOW, but I know I'm a decently intelligent person. When I illegally took Adderall, I felt like myself but a little more organized and directional. I've done everything from yoga and meditation, running, and creating a healthy lifestyle for myself full of notes and lists to follow and my forgetfulness is still an issue because my "in the moment" presence is convoluted by unnecessary trails of thought that go nowhere. See, I tried to keep this short and sweet... so back to that.

My questions are these:

Is it kosher to go into a psychiatrist's office and basically SAY you want to be prescribed a drug?
Should I tell this person I had taken it consistently for a year without a prescription and what affects it had on me?

Lastly: I live in Austin, Texas. Are any of you out there from around here and have any suggestions for me regarding psychiatrits that take Anthem, Blue Cross Blue Shield?

Welcome to Bluelight. If you lurked for years, you would have known that this question is completely wrong to ask on quite a few fronts.

I might as well tell you a somewhat neutral answer. If you think your systimatically off or a person with a real case of ADD, you can be tested for an ADD/ADHD issue by a professional that is trained to read you like a book.

we don't discuss doctors. You need to make some decisions and decide for yourself in that department.

Last edited:
I went in and basically just told my doctor that I had used a friends script and it helped me tremendously and he prescribed it and talking about my symptoms a little more. Same with two other college buddies and their docs said that they just really didn't mind prescribing it to students. Sounds atypical from what I've heard but I've never personally known anyone to have an issue getting it

I've attempted as much years in the past to get a benzo script. It did not go well and was actually a humiliating walk out of that psychiatrist's office. "I think you just came here to try and get a benzo script. Do I look like a drug dealer?" And such.

Guy then goes and apparently does a background check on me after the appointment and calls me that night saying how he learned some things about me and he can't believe the nerve I had coming in there like that.

He then called me again asking if I needed a shrink to speak with about my criminal and drug tendencies. I said no. Guy actually probably just was doing the right thing, trying to help me and using tough love....but still f---- that guy.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Sure enough, he isn't a benzo deal and I admire him for not just pumping out another prescription for the sake of cash. At the same time, it seems like he didn't handle the situation with any sort of empathy, and that sucks on your behalf, so I'm sorry.

I'm don't understand exactly what was wrong with it. I can see that perhaps asking about doctors within the area might be a bit of an overreach and I wasn't assuming to have answers. I've intermittently frequented the site since around 2011 so I'm not exactly aware of what I did wrong here, so bringing a little more clarity to the picture is welcomed.

I'm don't understand exactly what was wrong with it. I can see that perhaps asking about doctors within the area might be a bit of an overreach and I wasn't assuming to have answers. I've intermittently frequented the site since around 2011 so I'm not exactly aware of what I did wrong here, so bringing a little more clarity to the picture is welcomed.

I think it was because it came off as a "sourcing" post even if that wasn't your intentions behind it. Gotta remember we as mods deal with hundreds of people a day posting dumb ass shit, and really only have time to glance through a post and that we deal with a bunch of shit heads trying to be slick.

I've attempted as much years in the past to get a benzo script. It did not go well and was actually a humiliating walk out of that psychiatrist's office. "I think you just came here to try and get a benzo script. Do I look like a drug dealer?" And such.

Guy then goes and apparently does a background check on me after the appointment and calls me that night saying how he learned some things about me and he can't believe the nerve I had coming in there like that.

He then called me again asking if I needed a shrink to speak with about my criminal and drug tendencies. I said no. Guy actually probably just was doing the right thing, trying to help me and using tough love....but still f---- that guy.

I know exactly what you are talking about, and they try to humiliate you, it's ridiculous. It's like, yes I came here to get a benzo! I am losing my fucking mind from sleeping 15 hours a week and a god damn antihistamine doesn't help! I've had a similar experience even when I stated up front that I had been prescribed them in the past and I wasn't looking for re-fills just 15-30 PRN. Then other times I just told a different doctor I was suffering insomnia and they script 2mg clonazepam with endless refills, it's like doctors just don't like it when you know what the fuck you are talking about. Same attitude when you question what they are recommending to you, excuse me for caring about what I put in my body. It's all about who the doctor is and if they have any sympathy or first hand experience with what you are dealing with.

I think a lot of doctors are lose with the ADHD meds for students because they themselves used them all through college. But my wife had an experience like above when she went in to get in asking for focalin XR from a new doctor, which she took all through university, and had been prescribed adderall as well intermittently after that, and the doc accused her of drug seeking just because she knew what she wanted, and there's nothing in her history to suggest that. He was so rude and hostile it upset her so much she almost started crying...I am sure nothing came of it but when she told me what happened I went straight up there and cussed the mother fucker out in the lobby.

This kinda thing is what interested me in medicine. If you know what works best for you, I'd be inclined to work with you as that's kinda the point: patient health and satisfaction. If I felt hesitant or if it's a new patient with no history with me or my peers, I'd give a small script with refills to see how they handle it. Build some trust.

^Points for calling the doc out.

It's insanely hard to find a good PCP or a good doc in general anymore. Mine is decent and he listens to me and is fairly lenient although has told me when he isn't cool with what I'm asking for as well. Think some of it comes from mutual respect with me having a medical background but you also have to think about the average patient the primary docs see which are dumb as fuck people that generally don't care about their health.

It gets exponentialy worse in my experience when it comes to hormones, HRT, etc. Docs get brainwashed on that stuff in med school and even mine wasn't good when it came to that.

Honestly thought about pulling some of the shit like people can get prescribed hormones and put their bodies through hell for sex changes just because they feel like they were born in the wrong body and won't get mental health treatment. Hell, I don't feel that I was born manly enough and want 10x the average male testosterone level. Who the hell is any doc to say they know what I need lol

My PCP is a pretty cool and progressive Doc and he prescribed my Adderall last year 20mgx2 a day for cocaine addiction-they both work on the same receptors. I don't think its wise to tell a doc you bought it off the streets, which is basically what you did even if you got it from a friend. Some Docs go nuts if they think you are drug seeking. They also go nuts if you have a history of addiction because Adderall is one of the most widely abused drugs out there. My Doc couldn't even fax my script over-I had to take a hard copy script to the pharmacy every time and get drug tested each time..

JJ

He probably made you take a hard copy because legally he had to until about s year ago. Now they allow CII e-scripts but a lot of docs aren't even aware and still follow the hard copy law

If your an adult you go in there and tell them you were diagnosed with ADHD as a kid but your parents took your off the medication because you didn?t eat enough as a kid. OR your parents were too proud and dismissed that you had ADHD. Before you go in look up adult symptoms of ADHD. I told my doctor I remember as a child my parents were too proud and I was diagnosed with ADHD. Now I?ve started loosing interest in a lot of things I used to like,I can?t get simple tasks done and I just want to sleep all day. When I?m not sleeping I?m all scatterbrained. I tried making a list but it doesn?t help. Play off the symptoms. It?s really pretty simple. They may prescribe other ADHD meds for you and you Just keep telling them it doesn?t work until you find the one that works for you.

This is purely my experience and I am not sourcing any doctors or products.

They may prescribe other ADHD meds for you and you Just keep telling them it doesn't work until you find the one that works for you.

That's quite a bit of wasted time and money there. I suppose the thing would be to act as though you always had ADHD symptoms and at present are being impaired by symptoms and if you see a 'script happy doctor chances are you will be getting something. I mean how can you actually demand which medication they prescribe when they most likely get kickbacks from specific ones?

Speaking of which my first attempt getting this without any real history of seeing a doctor for ADHD. Yet I would benefit from seeing someone so might as well go in to feign ADHD to get clean drugs to buzz with.

I have ADHD and I shall not be telling you how to get a prescription.

I don’t live in America but I would recommend you look for a Psychiatrist with a focus on ADHD, it shouldn’t be difficult to obtain if you truly need it.

If the doctor was to prescribe you Adderall straight out of the bat he would be, in my country, stripped of his license (we only have d-amphetamine here, but even with that it’s the Medication that they try LAST.

If you genuinely do have ADHD/ADD then undergoing the pharmacological gauntlet shouldn’t be an issue.

I must caution you about the long term therapeutic potential of Amphetamines,

Get tested, 15mg Adderal relatively speaking is a low dose, especially if it was just in the mornings. Having said that if I completed my MD I would start you on concerta and work my way up from there, it would be months before you ended up on an Amphetamine prescription.

If you ever made it to one in the first place, Modafinil/armodafinil is in many cases just as beneficial.

The US airforce no longer uses amphetamines for its ‘go’ pills. They used to be given 10mg every 6 hours AFAIK, Temazepam to sleep.

For aircraft such as the B2 stealth bomber, other long haul flights (e.g. air to air refuelling)

They have totally replaced Amphetamine and with good reason.

I am on up to 15mg of Dex q.i.d. which is the maximum dose in my country requiring 2 independent Psychiatrists to agree in addition to your primary physician.

The normal maximum is 30mg a day.

60mg is the legal maximum. I have to go into Private Hospital to titrate down over two weeks spend two weeks totally off it then titrate back on over two weeks EVERY YEAR.

I would sooner write a script for Morphine, Oxycodone etc than I would Amphetamine

H

I don’t live in America but I would recommend you look for a Psychiatrist with a focus on ADHD, it shouldn’t be difficult to obtain if you truly need it.

If the doctor was to prescribe you Adderall straight out of the bat he would be, in my country, stripped of his license (we only have d-amphetamine here, but even with that it’s the Medication that they try LAST.

If you genuinely do have ADHD/ADD then undergoing the pharmacological gauntlet shouldn’t be an issue.

Get tested, 15mg Adderal relatively speaking is a low dose, especially if it was just in the mornings. Having said that if I completed my MD I would start you on concerta and work my way up from there, it would be months before you ended up on an Amphetamine prescription.

If you ever made it to one in the first place, Modafinil/armodafinil is in many cases just as beneficial.

The US airforce no longer uses amphetamines for its ‘go’ pills. They used to be given 10mg every 6 hours AFAIK, Temazepam to sleep.

For aircraft such as the B2 stealth bomber, other long haul flights (e.g. air to air refuelling)

I am on up to 15mg of Dex q.i.d. which is the maximum dose in my country requiring 2 independent Psychiatrists to agree in addition to your primary physician.

60mg is the legal maximum. I have to go into Private Hospital to titrate down over two weeks spend two weeks totally off it then titrate back on over two weeks EVERY YEAR.

I would sooner write a script for Morphine, Oxycodone etc than I would Amphetamine
Having said this Doctors in my country are not beholden to the Health Insurances, in the US your doctor must call the insurance company to ask if they can prescribe you a drug. It’s nuts.

If you must take Amphetamine get lisdexamphetamine it’s bound to the amino acid l-lysine and consequently is a prodrug, which means no abuse potential. I would write you a script for that no worries.

You really do not want prescription Amphetamine around if you have substance abuse or substance dependence issues I cannot emphasise that enough, it will not end well for you.

I know exactly what you are talking about, and they try to humiliate you, it's ridiculous. It's like, yes I came here to get a benzo! I am losing my fucking mind from sleeping 15 hours a week and a god damn antihistamine doesn't help! I've had a similar experience even when I stated up front that I had been prescribed them in the past and I wasn't looking for re-fills just 15-30 PRN. Then other times I just told a different doctor I was suffering insomnia and they script 2mg clonazepam with endless refills, it's like doctors just don't like it when you know what the fuck you are talking about. Same attitude when you question what they are recommending to you, excuse me for caring about what I put in my body. It's all about who the doctor is and if they have any sympathy or first hand experience with what you are dealing with.

I think a lot of doctors are lose with the ADHD meds for students because they themselves used them all through college. But my wife had an experience like above when she went in to get in asking for focalin XR from a new doctor, which she took all through university, and had been prescribed adderall as well intermittently after that, and the doc accused her of drug seeking just because she knew what she wanted, and there's nothing in her history to suggest that. He was so rude and hostile it upset her so much she almost started crying...I am sure nothing came of it but when she told me what happened I went straight up there and cussed the mother fucker out in the lobby.
Not sleeping is in no way the same as not being 100% focused 100% of the time.

As someone that suffers from Insomnia. My heart goes out to you. You must stress the implications of your insomnia and explain that your losing your sanity.

YET I use quetiapine to sleep each night, if you think you can use a hypnotic benzodiazepine sustainably to treat insomnia then you do not understand pharmacology.

e.g. Temazepam for me, after 8 weeks, does nothing. The dose can be doubled, if still does nothing.

Quetiapine is a sustainable a-typical antipsychotic which you will develop a tolerance of sorts over a long long time but 50mg nocte (nighttime) should be enough to knock you out.

Be sure to get the instant release formulation rather than the controlled release.

There are a litany of other options which I am happy to delve into but none of them are benzos.

The only benzodiazepine like hypnotic agents that can be taken REASONABLY SUSTAINABLY are Zolpidem (Stillnox) and Zopiclone (Immovane) 10mg of Stillnox is equivalent to 5-10mg of diazepam, the same can be said of 7.5mg of Immovane.

If I completed my training I would of outright refused to prescribe either of the aforementioned straight off the bat.... I would start you on 25 mg of quetiapine (I’ve been taking it for years to sleep, to counteract the dex, it works fine) I also take Zolpidem one night and Zopiclone the next (alternating)

Even these benzodiazepine like drugs shouldn’t be used for long periods of time

Not debating your knowledge whatsoever but, fuck.

As a former pharmacy school student and future MD student as of next year, that last sentence is scary.

No one kills or robs people over amphetamine (generally speaking) and has an overall low addiction potential given the sheer number of people prescribed and the reported issues with addiction/rehab, etc compared to almost any opioid on the planet.

I’ve been prescribed Adderall 20mg bid for 5-6 years with no issues and no real increase in tolerance although I’ve gone up to 100mg for short stints with school and gone off of that dose cold turkey with no problems other than some mild fatigue for a few days.

Opioids will fuck you and your life up so much faster than Adderall and I’ve never personally met a physician that would argue otherwise.

^I mean, population demographics offers different measures of the variables that go into the question of whether one should be more wary of prescribing amp vs morphine and oxy.

All docs have their philosophies on prescribing.

Vyvanse is S-II in the US, same as meth and amp and morphine etc. Trials have not shown it to be significantly abuse-free, and Shire put a ton of energy into trying to make vyvanse a S-III substance.

Quetiapine and aripiprozole are not the heavy hitters as far as ap's go. They are usually given for bipolar, or at most as one of two ap's prescribed. Still, for sleep, before anything abusable, rozeram, trazodone or some tricyclic that I forget the name of should go first, following this conservative vantage point.

From stahl: the z-drugs don't lose efficacy for sleep. I think they do a bit in the first couple weeks, but other than that I have no opinion. They can be abused, especially ambien. That was part of my un-doing---not a euphemism at all.