• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

New seedlings!! New problems ?

Sertürner

Bluelight Crew
So my new seedlings have sprouted! They have gone through HELL though. After putting the pellets in the solo cups with the soil and placing them outside everything went great for the first couple days.

I noticed one of the seedlings had VERY round leaves. I have never seen this before.

http://imgur.com/gallery/ndZd8Bn

Seems like a mutation or something? Would love to know more about this. Thanks.

They look fine mate. I used to stress out about even slightly weird looking leaves, but invariably they sorted themselves out. Just let them grow and they'll be fine.

Ok thanks FUBAR. They had a BAD week. The larger one had her neck almost completely snapped due to strong gusts. And the smaller one is the runt of the original 3 I started out with.

The smaller one should be at least 2x-3x as large as it is now.

They look like they are recovering but I wanted some advice from people way more experienced than me. And I am very curious about this round leaf as well.

Not sure what leaf you're talking about to be honest. I can see a cotyledon on one of the plants, but that looks normal to me. The bigger set of leaves on the same plant look like the ends have suffered a little nutrient burn. Have you added any extra nutrients to that soil? Plants at that stage can't handle high nutrient soil, you need to use just light potting compost.

Alternatively, although it's hard to make out from the picture, the ends of those leaves could have been chewed by pests. Young leaves are particularly susceptible to pest damage - especially slugs.

Last edited:
Nothing to worry about. My two sense is you rolled a little to high with a macro nuet and burnt the tips. really easy to do. If you remember which way they curled before they were destroyed we can tell you what macro nutrient you overdid on. If they curled down its nitrogen burn if it was up then phosphorous burn. If it unlikely continues then flush and refertilize.

Last edited:
from the lack of green im really thinking phos. From the silver black spotting id be looking for aphis too. just some places to peak and figure whats up

Aphhids might be rolling on the littler seedling top in the doubles.

The weird thing is that they didn't curl or show any burning or deficiency. I had a nute burn on my last plant this definitely is not like that from what I am seeing. The leaves have sprouted that way naturally.

Did you catch any aphids on that one?

Sure seems to me you had a little to much phos in the rooting mixture, but you know the circumstances. I use .25 of a bloom fert to prevent transplant shock.

I do this professionally and have grown for Willies reserve and other brands and pull 3 plus pounds per 1000 watt over varied fields.

No I checked them up and down and no aphids. I will post another photo either today or tomorrow, it has grown a bit more so hopefully I can capture more detail. After work I will look up phosphorus problems and see if they look like this.

right on could have been just little vermiculites. phos problems will just work themselves out as a minor macro overdose due to a really small plant is no big deal. They will just flourish after the little bump.

Very best outcome on your crop:D

This is them this morning. Looki my much better but still curious on the round leaves on the bigger plant. What do you think NeverSick?

Thanks for the replies guys. I was worried about them after the bigger plants neck almost snapped from wind. And the little one is so small but I guess that will be good considering I'm doing this outdoors and want a small short plant. I appreciate the advice and will update when they get bigger or if they face anymore challenges.

Oh, when is a good age to transplant into a larger container? These solo cups won't hold a fully grown plant I assume.

You probably have about 2 weeks before you need to transplant, maybe a little sooner seeing as you are only using half that cup.

It will also help to cover the sides of your see-through cup so that sunlight doesn't penetrate your soon to be exposed roots. Any kind of light is really bad for the roots themselves. Keep them away from it. Some duct tape on the sides of the cup should be enough.

Ok so I have noticed the new growth and some parts of a leaf or 2 have yellowed spots on them. The new growth looks a little deformed (burnt maybe?).

Would spraying fert on the foliage help with this? I'm assuming this or nitro deficiency.

Ok so I just topped the larger of the two plants. I'm thinking I should transplant it to my 1.75g container by Saturday. Is this a good time to transplant?

http://imgur.com/gallery/GT9ITh3

I personally think it's a little too early to be stressing the plants by topping at this stage. Then there will be the added stress of transplanting them which can stunt growth. I would suggest that next time you start your seeds off in peat pots, then you can just place the whole pot in the bigger pots when ready. The peat pot will decompose and the growing roots will just break through without the stress of transplanting them.

Last edited: