• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Why do good psychiatrists/doctors often also give false info?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
Maybe this isn't the right forum for this, but anyways, my doctor prescribed me Adderall last month and I haven't liked it and so I want to switch to Vyvanse or Dex (I always responded better to Dex than Adderall) and when talking to him I was like "so I have to be careful how much coffee I drink right cause Adderall increases blood pressure and heart rate right?"

And he's like "no no, not at all, kids take this stuff, it really doesn't do that very much?"

And I'm like "really, cause I'm pretty sure it does increase heart rate and blood pressure"

And he goes "no it doesn't"

And I said "ok, but I mean, illegal stimulants would, like Crystal meth"...and he goes "oh yes, crystal meth does, but Adderall taken at prescribed doses doesn't"

But I KNOW he's fucking wrong so why would he say it?!?!

And I KNOW he's a legit and good doctor, he's been known in the area for like 40 years and is well recommended with good reviews, does successful surgeries, etc..I looked him up and he's very well respected.

So how can a doctor be a good doctor, and at the same time give you blatantly false info that Adderall doesn't increase blood pressure or heart rate?!?!"

It's really VERY concerning to me when I think that I can't get all the info from my doctor and have to look elsewhere.

On the other hand, he gives me medications many doctors won't and is cool like that, so I'm not about to start arguing with him.

I just don't get how it's possible for a doctor to overall be a good doctor, but still say or even believe such false information??

Any thoughts?

well, this is something I too was really struggling to grasp.
it's like there are more "categories" of weird/suspicious/false reactions from them and slightly different reasons behind them.

from what I have encountered, for example, when giving out a prescription for, let's say, SSRI, when I expressed concerns about side effects or whatever, they were like "oh, just don't read anything from the leaflet, nothing from that's gonna happen, just take it". well, let's say this is somehow understandable (but ridiculous anyway).

then, I was telling a psychiatrist that this Quetiapine (Seroquel) stuff is so sleep inducing that it would cause even a horse to fall asleep. she replied to that like "oh, really?". I was like DAFUQ? do you really have no clue how does the stuff you put into people behave? or are you just trying to not make me concerned?

next wtf stuff was when I mentioned that this quetiapine makes me crave sugar/junk food like crazy, she was like..."hmmmm, weeell, maybe it's doing something like that a lil bit, but are you sure? maybe it's something else". YEAH, like what??, a fricking change of weather? as if I can't see what is clearly happening and don't know my body.
then there is stuff that really angers me - like denial of negative effects of antipsychotics, that they change your brain chemistry, they suck life out of you and for some people it lasts for a long time. and many doctors won't grasp, let alone ADMIT or explain to you that those changes have nothing to do with a half life of a drug ("oh, it's already out of your system, there's no way it could this and that"). the same stuff with ADs, "what you are experiencing is not withdrawal, withdrawals last 1-2 weeks" YEAH, SURE. like internet is full of stories of ADs withdrawals, wtf??

now, what's VERY concerning to me is how those doctors are capable of prescribing a powerful antipsychotic, then seeing that it doesn't work, hear me telling that it DOESN'T FUCKING HELP for things I am trying to alleviate, but they insist it's doing something and I need to take it for 6 months and blabla. like, are you even fucking serious?

this all likely has something to do with cognitive dissonance, they know that they are not telling the whole truth, but if they admit it, then their "oh, I am a good psychiatrist, psychiatry is soooo advanced, those pills are the newest 17th generation, blabla, I help people, I really help people") attitude might get hurt and they are not gonna feel good. in other cases, I believe they really don't know, I mean they might be so brainwashed that they really believe what they say. or they simply have no "reputable" source which would tell them and they cannot listen to patients too much, it's psychiatry after all, right? also I tend to look at it like, they are just a people, they don't like being wrong, they have their experiences, certain background and way of thinking and maybe because of the very nature of psychiatry, there is tendency to behave like this. but I believe there are ones who admit being wrong.

Last edited:
Not a fan of authoritarian medical professionals myself. Seems like a very counter productive approach, the manipulation/ignorance I mean.

The best intentions don't do very much good if they aren't meeting the patient or client wherever they're actually at.

For what it's worth, it doesn't seem like many doctors who work with populations where mental illness is common actually understand what a patient centered approach actually is. But they sure do tend to get defensive when I mention the term.

For some people authoritarian doctors do seem to work well. I'm certainly not one of them. I doubt most BLers are.

^yes, some doctors have no business practicing medicine. That’s also true.

It’s tricky business. I mean, a lot of them do genuinely great work, but at least as many really can be pieces of work/shills.

Sorry you had that kind of experience brickk. Antipsychotics seem like they’re wildly overprescribed and there’s little awareness of their side effect profiles. Very very helpful medications when used properly, but that can require a lot of skill on the prescribed part.

I mean, not really though. I’ll never understand why it’s the way it is with psychiatry. Well, I guess the field has a kinda fucked up history, but doesn’t every?

Not a fan of authoritarian medical professionals myself. Seems like a very counter productive approach, the manipulation/ignorance I mean.

The best intentions don't do very much good if they aren't meeting the patient or client wherever they're actually at.

For what it's worth, it doesn't seem like many doctors who work with populations where mental illness is common actually understand what a patient centered approach actually is. But they sure do tend to get defensive when I mention the term.

For some people authoritarian doctors do seem to work well. I'm certainly not one of them. I doubt most BLers are.

The thing is though, that my psychiatrist is not the least bit "authoritarian", and he really is a good doctor who spends a large amount of time in the ER helping all kinds of people, and a very nice guy, I just know he's wrong about what he said about BP and HR with Adderall.

Actually, far from being authoritarian, he's the only doctor I know who's mostly covered with tattoos!!

He's got them on his neck, knuckles, arms, once one of his pant legs road up and I saw his leg is done too, so I think most of his body is inked, and I know from a friend of his that he was a big hippie in the 60s and drove around a big VW bus.

Actually, he's probably more like some of us on here cause I can tell you FOR SURE he has used his share of substances.

I really like the guy, and he's willing to prescribe, so yeah....he's not authoritarian.

I'm almost worried sharing this cause he's been so nice to prescribe me what I want that he's very much unlike most doctors, but I think he probably spends too much of his time actually being a doctor to waste time trying to figure out who an anonymous person on a message board is, let alone prove who I am, so I think I'm safe LOL.

I actually consider him one of the "good ones" because he is much more willing to prescribe certain medications that other doctors would deny a patient, and so in reality, he's exactly the kind of psychiatrist I am happy to have.

So yeah...he's not your authoritarian type, and he's a legit good doctor, but that was just a false claim about Adderall, so that is why I find this kind of thing so perplexing...how an otherwise good doctor would say thing like that, and he said it in a way as if to say he didn't think he was wrong at all...I don't think he was intentionally being misleading...just very odd...

^he does sound like one of the good ones.

I guess the other moral of the story is that there aren’t any pancreas other. I just wish people were more aware of side effects of medications.

Psychiatry is a tricky field. There's lots of opinions that doctors have, which other doctors don't believe at all. I don't quite understand it, only that it's not a natural science on the level of a general practitioner. They each have their own reasons.

For what it's worth, people on crystal meth take enormously larger doses than someone taking their prescribed dose of adderall. And it's about twice as potent than regular amphetamine, not to mention much more toxic and used in very harmful and addictive manners.

I don't think that, in the end, it's always helpful to sweat the small stuff, yeah?

Ho-Chi-Minh with another one out of the ball park. =D

@Mycophile: you can't find that one perfect psychiatrist. they're all human and they all make mistakes. simply doesn't exist.

the trick is finding one with a combination of good listening and evaluating skills, has their own personal life together (as much as anyone can), has at least some experience in their field and works best with you.

part of the stigma with mental health is it goes both ways. against the patient: mentally ill people are crazy. against the psychiatrist: the practitioner is being (insert negative words here). against the whole concept of the science: it's hoopla.

the science of psychiatry has only been around and practiced in a relatively sane, structured, positive and effective manner for about 100 years. it's developing and makes mistakes. not easy working with something we don't fully understand yet.

in short: the best psychiatrist is the one that best works with you. the pain in the keister is trying to find that one, you gotta kiss a lot of frogs so to speak but once you find a good one hold onto them.

personaly note: toothpastedog has got a very good point. the psychiatrist has to be as well informed as you are or it doesn't work as effectively. so you gotta do your homework too, that's what sites like this are for. there are other feedback sites for specific meds as well.

on the topic of ADD meds: meth is an umbrella term. crystal meth is a very specific form of meth. meth salts found in adderall is simlar but different so it is a different form of meth than crystal meth. plus the psych med has a different set of binders added to it then what crystal meth is made and cut with. meth has been around a lot longer than most people think. armies have been developing it long before psychiatrist prescribe it as a form of making a better soldier. and regardless of who says what there are a few ADD/ADHD meds that do make your heart rate go up a lil bit. if this is a concern you should address it with them. if it is something tolerable from taking the med so you can get the desired affect of managing your life and symptoms better than you give a lil and take a lil.

there is a thread in mental health forum on vyvanse. you could try getting some info there. i hear it's less harsh on your body in some ways, not as stimulating and addicting. http://bluelight.org/vb/threads/366326-VYVANSE-MEGATHREAD-your-Vyvanse-thread-has-been-merged-here

Hi Everyone,

Well, my two cents on this subject -

First, if you need psychiatric-type drugs, NEVER go to a doctor that is NOT a psychiatrist, and hopefully, you will find one that is a psychopharmacologist that can not only diagnose what you have, but he/she can put you on the right medicine(s) for what you have and monitor you on a regular basis.

Second, psychiatrists (as well as all doctors) learn a certain amount of information, but in no way know everything about their particular speciality out of their residencies. It is not called the practice of medicine for nothing. It is not an exact science, all people are different and each person reacts differently to the same drug. We all wish it were not that way, and when we get a medication, that it will fix what we have, period!

Third, doctors gain additional knowledge as they practice by seeing lots and lots of patients and build up their knowledge base from those experiences, consultations with other doctors and through their continuing medical education and journal articles, etc., and they hopefully get really good at what they do.

Fourth, if you get information that you do not believe is correct, you can always find written information that says differently and you can present it to your physician if you think it is worth it. Otherwise, agree to disagree if your experience with a particular drug is different and go from there. Don't take a drug if you believe it is not for you from your experience. If you really believe your doctor does not know his stuff, and he is wrong more than he is right in your opinion, then find another doctor and move on. A good psychiatrist will usually take what you tell them at face value in terms of your experiences with the drugs you have taken or currently take and then take that into consideration when prescribing for you.

Lastly, remember that your doctor has only so much time for you in the schedule and that is unfortunate. It often does not lend itself to discussing your health situation in enough detail to always have things work out well for you the first, or even the second time, you see them. Psych medications are an even trickier area, in that there is a lot of trial and error before you get on the right medication(s) as well as a lot of time to see if they are going to work. Not a fun experience by any far stretch of the imagination.

Don't get me wrong about the above information. Do I like it, no I do not! It is infuriating that medicine and the medical profession does not work well much of the time, but it is what it is and it is all we have. You heard it here that things are getting worse in health care in this country and not better. It is a money driven system and the patient often gets the short end of the stick. Don't look for it to change much in your lifetime. Be that as it may, be tenacious in finding the right psychiatrist for you. They ARE out there.

^What a great post. You bring up a lot of good points about the practice of medicine and I could not agree with you more that is a profit driven mess overall. There are still many good people working in the field, though.

I don't think a lot of them do it purposely its just that all they can know about a drug is what they have read on it, they don't really know how it feels because they don't take it.

Gardenmeister,

Thank you. I just hope what I said will put things in perspective and help someone. Psych medications are no fun. I know from first hand experience as a patient and a therapist. In addition, it is hard to think straight when you are not feeling well and need to seek help.

I had my 1st episode of major depression (one of the severe types - melancholy) continuously for 16 years and luckily am now medication free from all of them. My depression did not have any depressive symptoms whatsoever, which is almost unheard of. All my symptoms were physical. I am now 3 years in remission. I thought that would never happen. I have also not relapsed, also very unusual, since I got my first episode at 51. The type of depression I had you usually have to take medication for life when you get your first episode at that age, or if you happen to go into remission, you relapse. However, I know I have a 50% chance of having another episode, and if I have a 2nd episode, I have a 90% chance of a recurrence. I pray to God that never happens. I was on so many psych regimens over the years that it would make your head spin. However, I was very fortunate that I had a psychopharmacologist near where I live (40 miles). There are not a lot of them. He had 40 years of experience when I started seeing him, so he did know his stuff.

One other thought, everyone on this site is obviously computer savvy, or you would not be on here. Once you get a diagnosis for what you have, research medications for it and arm yourself with as much information as possible. You cannot possibly know everything about medications, but you will be a lot further ahead if you can do that. It will allow you to be a partner with your doctor and get the right help you need.

Like I said in my original reply to all of the posters in this thread, if you think who you are seeing isn't listening to you, find someone else if you can.

Last edited:
^ the problem imho is that, they just write prescription based on what its written on wikipedia, but they never took 1micro gram of that drug. Otherwise I wouldn't have prescribed Levomepromazine for insomnia.
That shit makes an elephant sleep for 1 week. Not to mention his main use is for hard intoxication from amphetamine/cocaine/lsd.
It would be funny to see a psychiatrist taking Olanzapine or Levomepromazine just for sleep, l'm sure he would never prescrive them again after that.

Exactly for the most part they mean well but they can only do so much, they can't take everything into consideration because they are not mind readers. What they prescribe is something that they have read will help you they never have a personal experience with the drug.

The thing is though, that my psychiatrist is not the least bit "authoritarian", and he really is a good doctor who spends a large amount of time in the ER helping all kinds of people, and a very nice guy, I just know he's wrong about what he said about BP and HR with Adderall.

Actually, far from being authoritarian, he's the only doctor I know who's mostly covered with tattoos!!

He's got them on his neck, knuckles, arms, once one of his pant legs road up and I saw his leg is done too, so I think most of his body is inked, and I know from a friend of his that he was a big hippie in the 60s and drove around a big VW bus.

Actually, he's probably more like some of us on here cause I can tell you FOR SURE he has used his share of substances.

I really like the guy, and he's willing to prescribe, so yeah....he's not authoritarian.

I'm almost worried sharing this cause he's been so nice to prescribe me what I want that he's very much unlike most doctors, but I think he probably spends too much of his time actually being a doctor to waste time trying to figure out who an anonymous person on a message board is, let alone prove who I am, so I think I'm safe LOL.

I actually consider him one of the "good ones" because he is much more willing to prescribe certain medications that other doctors would deny a patient, and so in reality, he's exactly the kind of psychiatrist I am happy to have.

So yeah...he's not your authoritarian type, and he's a legit good doctor, but that was just a false claim about Adderall, so that is why I find this kind of thing so perplexing...how an otherwise good doctor would say thing like that, and he said it in a way as if to say he didn't think he was wrong at all...I don't think he was intentionally being misleading...just very odd...

What's up Mycophile? I've been running into you a lot lately. I f*ing love this thread you created. I can relate so much. I have RBD (Rem-Sleep Behavior Disorder), and my previous psychiatrist didn't even know what that was. He was a really cool psychiatrist. I especially liked him cause he wasn't afraid to put God into the equation, though he usually only did so at my request because most of his other patients didn't want a religious psychiatric appointment, so he wasn't used to including God in psych talks. Moving on, my current psychiatrist DID know what RBD was, but she didn't know that I shouldn't be taking drugs whose main mode of action involves seratonin, because excessive seratonin makes my nightly RBD symptoms worse and (side note, RBD generally leads to a neuro-degenerative disease such as alzheimer's) excessive seratonin also quickens the onset of neuro-degenerative diseases for people with RBD. However, when I told her that I couldn't take seratonin-based drugs for this reason, she took my word for it and helped me find something else that worked. I quoted you, Mycophile, because your doctor contradicts what a lot of people are saying about doctors including what I say below, specifically about how most doctors prescribe meds, but they don't take them. Or if they do it's not to the extent that many BL users do. I also wanted to say to you that I brought up recently to my new psych that I think I may have ADD, because a friend let me try his adderall not too long ago when I was feeling very lethargic and needed energy for an important task, and the adderall gave me the effects that are usually only present in patients with ADD/ADHD. I wasn't all hyper. I was more calm and focused than ever. My brain seemed to slow down in a way. My doctor was surprisingly fine with me saying that I had taken adderall before without a prescription, and she told me that I needed to take a test if I felt I needed a controlled ADHD substance. We set up an appointment for the test, and she asked me in the meantime if I wanted to take strattera. I told her that I had taken it before, but I stopped taking it because it gave me hypertension. She said in that case I probably shouldn't take controlled ADHD meds, because they spike your blood pressure even more. Which is the complete opposite of what your doctor said, mycophile! I was honest with her and told her that I was taking kratom while I'd been taking strattera, which also spikes blood pressure, and I believe the combo of those drugs is what gave me hypertension. (Yes, Kratom spikes blood pressure even though its an opioid. It doesn't lower BP like normal opiates. Look it up)

As I was scrolling down this thread, I saw many posts that said some of the things that I was planning on saying. Because of that, I'm going to try to avoid being too redundant and for once I'm going to keep my post relatively short.
For starters, I 100% agree with the people that said that doctors prescribe meds, they don't take them. At least not to the extent that most of us do. As a long-term reader of BL, I kind of think that in a way, a lot of the people that are on BL that aren't doctors know more comprehensive information about most medications than their doctors do. Because a lot of us here have taken a lot of medications. It seems that a lot of us also have a lot of experience experimenting with drug combos, prescribed or not. It's scary when I hear a doctor say something that tells me that they don't know about a dangerous drug combo. For instance, my dad was recently prescribed high doses of valium and morphine (It might've been a different powerful opiate. It was stronger than oxy) at the same time, along with other drugs. WTF. I mean at the time he needed the morphine, but if I were a doctor I wouldn't have also prescribed valium. That's a dangerous combination. Luckily my dad didn't die while prescribed this combo, but he did change a lot. I blocked his phone number (we live far apart) because the med combo was turning him into someone that wasn't him. It's probably relevant to mention that my dad is a recovering coke head, but I think that the med combo had way more to do with his change of attitude than his past history of substance abuse did. He never really enjoyed sedatives. The combo brought back his anger management problems from two decades ago. He was unable to think logically or hold normal conversations without overreacting. He became depressed and isolated himself. He harmed himself in many non-physical ways, and this was only while he was prescribed the COMBO. Eventually they tapered him off of one of the meds (I think the valium) and he turned back to his normal self, other than being a little groggy and out of it when he had just taken his dose.
Another case of a doctor prescribing multiple meds that shouldn't be prescribed together actually happened at my last psych visit, the same visit where we talked about controlled ADHD meds and strattera. I've been prescribed klonopin for a while for RBD and anxiety and every couple months I switch between ambien and sonata for insomnia (both are z-drugs/non-benzos). My doctor also told me to take 15mg of melatonin at night and said that it was fine to take valerian root. I take 2000mg a night. At the end of our session she asked me if I had any more questions. I asked, "is there anything that you can prescribe me for restless leg syndrome"? I was surprised that she said yes, gabapentin. Long story short I told I'd tried it before and it helped my sleep, she initially prescribed me 30 300mg pills and later because of an insurance issue with trying to bump up my sonata dosage, she prescribed me an extra 30 400mg pills. I really appreciated it, and I felt lucky cause I love these kind of drugs, but at the same time I was thinking... "Is she not concerned about me having respiratory problems?? I'm prescribed a LOT of relatively powerful sedatives. Plus gabapentin, klonopin, and sonata all interact with each other to some degree." It was just another "wtf, doctor" moment.

Anyway, I also agree with the people that said that the medical industry is very money-driven. Something that no one has said yet is that a LOT of psychiatrists and probably other kinds of doctors too have firm relationships with certain drug companies, and they're incentivized by those companies to push the company's medications onto consumers. It's HORRIBLE. A while ago when I was looking for a new psychiatrist cause I had just moved, my mother-in-law told me to google any doctor before I see them. Her reason was because sometimes a google search will reveal that the doctor IS being incentivized by a pharma company, and also that by googling a doctor you can tell how long they've been practicing, and other practical information like that. I believe her though about doctors being tight with big pharma, not because I saw any connections between any doctors and pharma companies online, but because throughout my whole life doctors have often tried to prescribe me new, barely tested meds. I told my previous psychiatrist to his face that it made me feel like a guinea pig. Why not just give me older meds that have been proven to help with my conditions, rather than samples of meds that have literally existed for like, a month, and only been given one or two lab tests?? Maybe I'm being paranoid or jumping to conclusions, but it seems pretty suspicious to me. If I were a doctor I would be prescribing meds that I KNOW work. Meds that I can explain comprehensively to my patients because I've been prescribing them for years.

The final thing that I wanted to say is directed at the OP. I can't see the original post for some reason but I remember you said something like, your doctor said that adderall doesn't increase blood pressure, which you knew to be false. I find that a little suspicious too, because who doesn't know that ADHD meds typically raise your BP? I mean there are certainly people that don't know, but you get my point. It's not uncommon knowledge among non-doctors, so a doctor, especially a hippy one with tats and all that, you would expect him to know. I'm not trying to stereotype, just going off of what you said. Personally I think he did know. I theorize that maybe his point was that you don't have to be worried about your BP rising dramatically as long as you take your meds as prescribed. I don't know the full story, but I think it's a possibility.

Still, there is an epidemic of ignorance among doctors. Don't they go to school for this stuff for like, at least six years? I'm not so sure that it's ignorance though. If anyone else has had any similar suspicious stories about doctors saying things or prescribing things that don't make any sense, I'd love to hear them. Not that I want to believe that all doctors are intentionally providing us with misinformation. But I wonder, maybe they have to lie and give misinformation in their industry. Perhaps most psychs really are in cahoots with big pharma, and in order to have a successful career, the doctors have to push big pharma's meds onto patients. It wouldn't be the first case of an authority figure making decisions based on who's backing them financially (I'm talking about politics if that wasn't obvious). When I think about it, the pharma industry is a BIG one, and I imagine that there could be a lot of competition between doctors. Maybe they have to lie to survive financially. I'm just throwing out theories here. I am NOT trying to start a conspiracy. As I said, I'm just wondering if anyone has had any similar suspicious interactions with doctors other than the experiences mentioned so far.

Last edited:
What's up Mycophile? I've been running into you a lot lately. I f*ing love this thread you created. I can relate so much. I have RBD (Rem-Sleep Behavior Disorder), and my previous psychiatrist didn't even know what that was. He was a really cool psychiatrist. I especially liked him cause he wasn't afraid to put God into the equation, though he usually only did so at my request because most of his other patients didn't want a religious psychiatric appointment, so he wasn't used to including God in psych talks. Moving on, my current psychiatrist DID know what RBD was, but she didn't know that I shouldn't be taking drugs whose main mode of action involves seratonin, because excessive seratonin makes my nightly RBD symptoms worse and (side note, RBD generally leads to a neuro-degenerative disease such as alzheimer's) excessive seratonin also quickens the onset of neuro-degenerative diseases for people with RBD. However, when I told her that I couldn't take seratonin-based drugs for this reason, she took my word for it and helped me find something else that worked. I quoted you, Mycophile, because your doctor contradicts what a lot of people are saying about doctors including what I say below, specifically about how most doctors prescribe meds, but they don't take them. Or if they do it's not to the extent that many BL users do. I also wanted to say to you that I brought up recently to my new psych that I think I may have ADD, because a friend let me try his adderall not too long ago when I was feeling very lethargic and needed energy for an important task, and the adderall gave me the effects that are usually only present in patients with ADD/ADHD. I wasn't all hyper. I was more calm and focused than ever. My brain seemed to slow down in a way. My doctor was surprisingly fine with me saying that I had taken adderall before without a prescription, and she told me that I needed to take a test if I felt I needed a controlled ADHD substance. We set up an appointment for the test, and she asked me in the meantime if I wanted to take strattera. I told her that I had taken it before, but I stopped taking it because it gave me hypertension. She said in that case I probably shouldn't take controlled ADHD meds, because they spike your blood pressure even more. Which is the complete opposite of what your doctor said, mycophile! I was honest with her and told her that I was taking kratom while I'd been taking strattera, which also spikes blood pressure, and I believe the combo of those drugs is what gave me hypertension. (Yes, Kratom spikes blood pressure even though its an opioid. It doesn't lower BP like normal opiates. Look it up)

As I was scrolling down this thread, I saw many posts that said some of the things that I was planning on saying. Because of that, I'm going to try to avoid being too redundant and for once I'm going to keep my post relatively short.
For starters, I 100% agree with the people that said that doctors prescribe meds, they don't take them. At least not to the extent that most of us do. As a long-term reader of BL, I kind of think that in a way, a lot of the people that are on BL that aren't doctors know more comprehensive information about most medications than their doctors do. Because a lot of us here have taken a lot of medications. It seems that a lot of us also have a lot of experience experimenting with drug combos, prescribed or not. It's scary when I hear a doctor say something that tells me that they don't know about a dangerous drug combo. For instance, my dad was recently prescribed high doses of valium and morphine (It might've been a different powerful opiate. It was stronger than oxy) at the same time, along with other drugs. WTF. I mean at the time he needed the morphine, but if I were a doctor I wouldn't have also prescribed valium. That's a dangerous combination. Luckily my dad didn't die while prescribed this combo, but he did change a lot. I blocked his phone number (we live far apart) because the med combo was turning him into someone that wasn't him. It's probably relevant to mention that my dad is a recovering coke head, but I think that the med combo had way more to do with his change of attitude than his past history of substance abuse did. He never really enjoyed sedatives. The combo brought back his anger management problems from two decades ago. He was unable to think logically or hold normal conversations without overreacting. He became depressed and isolated himself. He harmed himself in many non-physical ways, and this was only while he was prescribed the COMBO. Eventually they tapered him off of one of the meds (I think the valium) and he turned back to his normal self, other than being a little groggy and out of it when he had just taken his dose.
Another case of a doctor prescribing multiple meds that shouldn't be prescribed together actually happened at my last psych visit, the same visit where we talked about controlled ADHD meds and strattera. I've been prescribed klonopin for a while for RBD and anxiety and every couple months I switch between ambien and sonata for insomnia (both are z-drugs/non-benzos). My doctor also told me to take 15mg of melatonin at night and said that it was fine to take valerian root. I take 2000mg a night. At the end of our session she asked me if I had any more questions. I asked, "is there anything that you can prescribe me for restless leg syndrome"? I was surprised that she said yes, gabapentin. Long story short I told I'd tried it before and it helped my sleep, she initially prescribed me 30 300mg pills and later because of an insurance issue with trying to bump up my sonata dosage, she prescribed me an extra 30 400mg pills. I really appreciated it, and I felt lucky cause I love these kind of drugs, but at the same time I was thinking... "Is she not concerned about me having respiratory problems?? I'm prescribed a LOT of relatively powerful sedatives. Plus gabapentin, klonopin, and sonata all interact with each other to some degree." It was just another "wtf, doctor" moment.

Anyway, I also agree with the people that said that the medical industry is very money-driven. Something that no one has said yet is that a LOT of psychiatrists and probably other kinds of doctors too have firm relationships with certain drug companies, and they're incentivized by those companies to push the company's medications onto consumers. It's HORRIBLE. A while ago when I was looking for a new psychiatrist cause I had just moved, my mother-in-law told me to google any doctor before I see them. Her reason was because sometimes a google search will reveal that the doctor IS being incentivized by a pharma company, and also that by googling a doctor you can tell how long they've been practicing, and other practical information like that. I believe her though about doctors being tight with big pharma, not because I saw any connections between any doctors and pharma companies online, but because throughout my whole life doctors have often tried to prescribe me new, barely tested meds. I told my previous psychiatrist to his face that it made me feel like a guinea pig. Why not just give me older meds that have been proven to help with my conditions, rather than samples of meds that have literally existed for like, a month, and only been given one or two lab tests?? Maybe I'm being paranoid or jumping to conclusions, but it seems pretty suspicious to me. If I were a doctor I would be prescribing meds that I KNOW work. Meds that I can explain comprehensively to my patients because I've been prescribing them for years.

The final thing that I wanted to say is directed at the OP. I can't see the original post for some reason but I remember you said something like, your doctor said that adderall doesn't increase blood pressure, which you knew to be false. I find that a little suspicious too, because who doesn't know that ADHD meds typically raise your BP? I mean there are certainly people that don't know, but you get my point. It's not uncommon knowledge among non-doctors, so a doctor, especially a hippy one with tats and all that, you would expect him to know. I'm not trying to stereotype, just going off of what you said. Personally I think he did know. I theorize that maybe his point was that you don't have to be worried about your BP rising dramatically as long as you take your meds as prescribed. I don't know the full story, but I think it's a possibility.

Still, there is an epidemic of ignorance among doctors. Don't they go to school for this stuff for like, at least six years? I'm not so sure that it's ignorance though. If anyone else has had any similar suspicious stories about doctors saying things or prescribing things that don't make any sense, I'd love to hear them. Not that I want to believe that all doctors are intentionally providing us with misinformation. But I wonder, maybe they have to lie and give misinformation in their industry. Perhaps most psychs really are in cahoots with big pharma, and in order to have a successful career, the doctors have to push big pharma's meds onto patients. It wouldn't be the first case of an authority figure making decisions based on who's backing them financially (I'm talking about politics if that wasn't obvious). When I think about it, the pharma industry is a BIG one, and I imagine that there could be a lot of competition between doctors. Maybe they have to lie to survive financially. I'm just throwing out theories here. I am NOT trying to start a conspiracy. As I said, I'm just wondering if anyone has had any similar suspicious interactions with doctors other than the experiences mentioned so far.

Hey man,

I'm sorry to hear about the screw up with your dad being given Valium and Morphine, but I'm glad he's ok.

However, I am not 100% sure that that's necessarily ALWAYS a dangerous combination, IF the dosages are low enough, because basically the idea there is that it's not safe to combine an opiate (Morphine) with a benzo (Valium) right? But I take Klonopin and I have been prescribed both Oxycodone and Hydrocodne many times for surgeries and injuries from training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and it's always been safe.

NOW...that is granted that the doctors wanted me taking ONLY the prescribed dosages of the Oxycodone and Hydrocodone, and I don't remember what mgs, but I am PRETTY sure they were 5mgs of Oxy/Hydro mixed with 325mgs of Tylenol as that is the standard, and I was told not to ever take more than two pills (so I THINK 10mgs max) of the opiates in a 4 hour period with my medication.

So my point is, Opiates/Opioids and Benzos CAN be safely combined IF the dosages are just right.

I am fairly sure, in fact, almost positive, that IF the dosages of Valium and Morphine that your dad were taking were low enough that it CAN be safe.

We need to remember that doctors DO know more than us, so if we get the idea that a certain drug combo isn't safe, we need to question WHERE we first got that information you know?? Did we just read it on some random site on the internet? Because if so, we need to question the source.

For example, there are legit sites online like Drug Interaction Checker is probably the best one and you can put those combos in there and see what shows up, and for sure I know that it will say there's an interaction between Morphine and Valium, BUT, they rate drug combos between safe risk, mild risk, moderate risk and severe risk, and I don't know where that interaction ranks, but also: it's the dose that makes the poison you know? Your doctor knows your medical history and the mgs of each drug prescribed so he/she can make an assessment better than a computer can, so if you think your doctor is wrong you need to question the source you used to disagree with them, and get a second doctor's opinion rather than just go online you know??

Do you know what mgs of Morphine he was prescribed and what mg of Valium?

And if so, what exactly are low, average and high doses for both those drugs? Because I don't know.

If he was on low to average doses of both I really DO think it could potentially be safe.

In fact, there are MANY medications/drugs which we THINK should NEVER be combined, but in low enough dosages they CAN be combined safely, under the right circumstances.

Yeah, I don't know what my doctor was thinking when he said what he did cause he's REALLY cool.

I think maybe he did mean that the dosages he was prescribing wouldn't raise my BP that much, but I still think he's wrong cause he gave me WAY too high a dosage, I mean he prescribed me 20mgs of Adderall, and while some people like that much, it made me FREAK the fuck out and get panic, but then again, I am an anxious guys, and I don't know if the fact that I freaked out means my blood pressure and heart rate were high, but it seems like there would be a connection.

The other thing that bugged me, although I don't know if he's right or wrong, is that he said it would be totally safe to take the dosages of Adderall he prescribed me while doing heavy exercise and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu which he did, but I think he's wrong about that.

It doesn't seem safe to me to do heavy exercise on stimulants like that, but he told me that it really wouldn't be an issue.

The other reason that seems odd to me is because we had a discussion once about how I drink too much coffee and I was telling him that when I drink too much coffee while doing Martial Arts I get tired really quickly and have to stop and asked him why and he told me cause caffeine speeds up your heart rate and makes your body think you are working out to an extent even when at rest, so that when I drank all that coffee while doing martial arts the two of them together raised my heart rate too much and made me heart think I was working out harder than I was because of the coffee and made me tired and feel like I needed to stop: like as if I was wearing a led vest while working out and it made the workout harder.

And that makes total sense, EXCEPT if that's true with coffee then OF COURSE it would also be true with Adderall!!!

Then again, he never did say I might not get tired if I worked out on Adderall, only that he felt it would be safe.

I don't think it would give me a heart attack or stroke, but I don't think it's particularly safe either.

So it seems he understands the potential of stimulants to tax the heart from our discussion about caffeine, but didn't in this case.

Whatever, I mean, he IS a good doctor in my opinion, and very much willing to prescribe things that many other doctors wouldn't so he's cool in my book, but it's just concerning if I feel I might be given wrong information and I have to try to look elsewhere to find out what the truth is, but this is the only time he's ever told me something I think might not be true.

Honestly though man, I have to say again, you really need to break up your paragraphs more!!

Even if you feel you need to write posts the length you write, I would go by the rule of making a new paragraph with spaces in between for every 4-6 sentences you write, AT LEAST every 6 sentences at the most. Please try to count them as you write or go back and edit them and make spaces after every 4-6 sentences so they are easier to read

Have you noticed how I write my posts? They aren't perfect, but you notice how after every few sentences I make a new line? That makes them easier to read.

Believe me, I have a problem with writing too much myself and as someone who works in the educational field and who's dad is a writer, he's told me the number one skill I need to work on with my writing is learning to be more concise and say the same things but in fewer words and he's write.

Like, in this particular post you didn't repeat yourself much, and I don't mean to be overly critical or a dick, but in one of your other posts in the other thread you repeated yourself a lot so that makes it longer.

Because this is also something I MYSELF REALLY NEED TO WORK ON, here's a few tips to making shorter and easier to write posts:

1) Make new paragraphs after every few sentences

2) Try not to repeat yourself, and go back and look over your post after you write and if you've said the same thing more than once then erase the times you repeated yourself

3) Consider if there are thing you are saying that you don't really NEED to say, like with the reader as your audience, question whether or not this is something they NEED to know about.

For example, you wrote a really good post in that other thread, but there was one part where you started talking about John Coltrane and how he wrote better music when he stopped taking Acid.

Now, that IS interesting, and if we were talking in person you could say it, but in terms of the conversation we were having on using drugs for anxiety, that wasn't TOTALLY necessary to say. Yes, it was relevant because he was reliant on a drug, but not for anxiety.

4) Also think if there are ways to say the same things in fewer words.

Sorry to get on your case about it man, it's just I've been told that I need to get better at being more concise and writing shorter essays/paragraphs, posts, etc many times before as well.

The thing is, I think guys like us, especially since we may not talk so much in person, we have a lot to say when we write, but it's important for us to remember that on a forum we are writing for the other person, not ourselves. So there may be things we may feel like saying, but they might not be the things the other person necessarily NEEDS to hear, so we should cut those out.

Otherwise, i really like reading your posts.

Peace

Last edited:
^^^^

And see, that was also a long post, but you see how I made so many spaces between my sentences??

That makes it MUCH easier to read. When there are so many words packed so densely together it's hard to read.

I mean it's also an issue because it doesn't look like we can format our posts as being double spaced here unless I'm not seeing an icon for it. We can change font size and all that, but it doesn't look like we can make things double spaced and that would make things easier to read, so since we can't, then we need to make spaces so it's not just a big cluster of words jammed together which is hard on the eyes.

I think another piece to the puzzle of a psychiatrist not having enough time per patient has to do with how much they get reimbursed from insurance companies. For example the shrink I had before my current one charged $100 for a 15 minute ?med check? appointment. My friend was working for Aetna at the time so he plugged my psychiatrist into the computer and if I had had an Aetna PPO my psychiatrist would?ve only been paid $25 for that same appointment.

He also played the same game with having me try out the brand new, shiny meds first until I did my homework and requested some of the tried and true gold standards like Lithium.

believe it or not lots of doctors dont take a lot of prescribed meds themselves. not even the fun ones. they have not a lot of experience consuming many substances, just reading about them. and then not even much. since a doc to me once denied all the side effects of birth controll pills I am pretty cautious to trust them 100%.

also they are just human. they dont love their job all the time. just wanna go home to their families at the end of the day. they really dont care too much. they just know that aderall means good business so they dont think there is a problem with it. how can it be bad when every 2nd client requests adderall from them they think. well thats my bet at least. I find doctors to be very strange humans.

A Lot of doctors don't like to be told they are wrong, and will just shrug off any conflicting evidence you provide them. They are the professional. You are the patient. That kind of mentality.

If you think about it. Psychiatrists are the only doctors that are basically throwing darts at their patients in the dark. Hoping that something sticks. Possibly causing harm with wrong decisions along the way.

Almost every other kind of doctor is working with MRI,CT, Ultrasound scans x-rays. Evidence. Hard proof of what their dealing with.

But that might all be about to change. I highly recommend you guys watch this video. This is the future of Psychiatric diagnosis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esPRsT-lmw8