• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Brain Zaps after heavy Ecstasy use

freesolo123

Bluelighter
I had something happen to me years ago after using MDMA that I never really payed much attention to and wondered if anyone has had a similar experience?

I had been snorting Ecstasy pills not MDMA but crushed pills for about 48 hours straight, the next week when I was at work I would get this strange shiver in my brain which would go down my neck, it seemed to happen when I moved my eyes to one side, It was almost like hitting your funny bone but not that intense. this went on all week and caused me a bit of stress.

Only years later after I took SSRI Antidepressants the stopped taking them I got the same symptom which after looking into it was called "Brain Zaps" and was a common caused by withdrawing from SSRI's

Has Anyone else ever had these Brain Zaps after heavy MDMA/Ecstasy use? What Could cause them is it a Serotonin depletion?

Do not know or understand the mechanism but they are a very common symptom following heavy mdma use. They should fade over time and usually disappear completely after a proper rest period.

Yes, serotonin depletion is the likely culprit. It's an occupational hazard of taking serotonergics and as Stee said, usually clears up with abstinence. Can be exacerbated by using SSRIs with MDMA or other serotonin releasers and if pushed to the extreme can result in serotonin syndrome which is a potentially life threatening condition.

However, perhaps I'm weird, but I find them kind of interesting - though maybe a little inconvenient at times. I used to get mad brain zaps off psilocybin mushrooms, but I'm not sure if the same mechanism of action is at play there...

I too suffered from brain zaps after heavy use of mdma it felt like a loud crackle went off in my brain.It came right after a while but it's scary af when it does happen

I haven't gotten em often and never did until I started using 5-MAPB... I feel they can vary depending on certain factors, like what drugs caused em, etc.. They can feel like a crackle, pop, rushing water, this list goes on.

Believe it or not most of my zaps have come from GABA hitting drugs.. Benzos are the worst but I can get them after alcohol, phenibut, etc. I still believe there is a connection though with my serotonin hitting drugs cuz I didn't start feeling them with gaba substances until after my first 5-MAPB session..

Typically when I feel them it's an isolated incident, only one occasion have I had multiple ones in a row.

-GC

I haven't gotten em often and never did until I started using 5-MAPB... I feel they can vary depending on certain factors, like what drugs caused em, etc.. They can feel like a crackle, pop, rushing water, this list goes on.

Believe it or not most of my zaps have come from GABA hitting drugs.. Benzos are the worst but I can get them after alcohol, phenibut, etc. I still believe there is a connection though with my serotonin hitting drugs cuz I didn't start feeling them with gaba substances until after my first 5-MAPB session..

Typically when I feel them it's an isolated incident, only one occasion have I had multiple ones in a row.

-GC

I occasionally get them when over - benzed as well but not as drastically as I used to following massive pill binges

Thanks for the input people

I had them every day multiple times for close to a week, I has been sniffing the pills which may be a factor?

Also noticed the sideward eye movement could trigger one to occur.

Thanks for the input people

I had them every day multiple times for close to a week, I has been sniffing the pills which may be a factor?

Also noticed the sideward eye movement could trigger one to occur.

True about the eye movements. I've been in states after multiple day binges of serotonergics such as 6-apb and AMT where I could induce them at will just by looking quickly to the side then back again. Soon cleared up though...

does anyone know how long these zaps take to wear off? im on my third day and im really scared

If they're anything like the ones from going cold turkey off of SSRIs, those can take weeks to clear up.

If they're anything like the ones from going cold turkey off of SSRIs, those can take weeks to clear up.

They are identical that tells me its linked to serotonin, only years later i experienced them coming off SSRI's.