• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health The side effect of not getting enough sleep

freesolo123

Bluelighter
I have had real trouble sleeping naturally for over a decade and have noticed that when I don't sleep well be that missing a nights sleep completely or days and weeks of compounded bad sleep it has a enormous effect on my mental health.

I feel more anxious and the one thing that seems to always come to the front in a tired state is paranoia, I don't trust my thoughts, reasoning and question other people's motives etc..

Does anyone else find that lack of sleep brings out problems in there mental health?

^Absolutely. I can get into very twisted, anxious, socially paranoid states if I don't sleep well or enough. I just feel frazzled with difficulty focusing and a kinda dull witted pervasive stupor. With that said, this is usually compounded by the stressful state of sleeplessness that precedes it; if I cannot sleep but just lie and meditate, or better yet, get up and read, and just allow myself to remain calm, I don't feel all that bad the next day. But if you are feeling that scattered malaise, just take it easy, think for a bit longer before making decisions, calm your mind with deep breathing and just see the day through. Also caffeine if you can tolerate it :)

Thanks for the reply swillow glad someone can understand :)

I think the saying "sleep on it" usually given as guidance before making a rash decision might be some of the best advice there is. A great nights sleep can change your whole perspective on situations where your tired self might have felt doomed.

Yeah absolutely man.

I'm sorry for your situation.

I've never had it nearly so bad as you, but I did once have a 4 month bout of insomnia where I could only sleep 4 hours a night, and only on Ambien (that was back before time release so it only lasted 4 hours and they told me in no uncertain terms NOT TO EVER take another dose afterwards (I think now I could have)...so I never got more than those 4 hours of what is more like a being knocked out than sleeping, for 4 months.

I consistently struggle with keeping consistent sleep patterns, I don't know why, it's partially gotta be psychological, then my benzos will knock me out but decrease sleep quality, so I drink too much coffee, which again, decreases sleep quality, and the pattern continues.

I've actually got some ideas I'm going to put into practice over the next few weeks that I hope will really help my sleep quality.

When I don't sleep well I get anxious, paranoid, irritable, and if it goes beyond that point, depressed.

And I mean I would also easily take 6 hours of QUALITY NON drug induced sleep any day of the week over 10 hours of sleep on sleeping pills or after taking stimulants during the day.

It's not only sleep quantity but sleep QUALITY.

One thing I noticed that helps that you may want to invest in is some cheap memory foam.

If you put it on top of your bed it is SOO damn comfortable and conforms to your body and whether you can sleep or not, you feel like you are lying on the most comfortable thing EVER.

Then I'd suggest a sound machine with white noise to kill any sounds around you, maybe some ear plugs, and make the room as dark as possible, and preferably a bit cooler then you would normally want with your blankets to keep you warm enough (I actually like my room to be about 64-66 degrees, and don't watch TV or use the computer before bed (I do this too) as it kills melatonin and makes it harder to sleep.

Then even if you CAN'T sleep, just lie there with your eyes closed and try not to think too much about anything in particular for as many hours as you have, and I've heard that that kind of rest can actually make up for SOME amount of sleep.

I have in fact had a night or two where I only got about 3 hours of sleep, but under those conditions I was surprised that I felt as if I'd maybe slept twice as much cause it was so comfortable, so at least if you can't sleep you can lie in a really comfortable position with your eyes closed and it's better than nothing.

Has anyone here tried CBD oil? My wife suffers from really serious chronic insomnia. Without CBD she would struggle to sleep 2 hours a night, but with it she sleeps 7-8. After decades of suffering from all kinds of insomnia-related health issues, they're gone and she sleeps well every night. Quite miraculous. You can easily & inexpensively make high quality CBD oil yourself.

Last edited:
I've never tried the oil but I've used the gummies with very limited success as few times.

I suspect the potency of your gummies is too low. My wife is taking 75-100mg, but bear in mind she's been taking CBD for 4-5 years. I suggest you buy actual oil, and test yourself with various doses, but start low and increase with extreme care (if you take too much, you may not care for the result...) Once you find the right dose, buy yourself an MBM machine and some shake, and experiment making your own. PM me with questions any time.

peace

Last edited:
Has anyone here tried CBD oil? My wife suffers from really serious chronic insomnia. Without CBD she would struggle to sleep 2 hours a night, but with it she sleeps 7-8. After decades of suffering from all kinds of insomnia-related health issues, they're gone and she sleeps well every night. Quite miraculous. You can easily & inexpensively make high quality CBD oil yourself.

My brother and I both tried it, and he tried it for his insomnia in particular, and it didn't work for us and we both are still wondering why.

I've taken 2 different type I bought online several times and I never felt ANY effects.

Why is that?

I've heard some people say that unless you are using it for like physical pain or seizures that you often won't get much if any benefit from pure CBD if not mixed with any THC at all and it's necessary to combine it with THC if you really want help with insomnia, you seem to be saying it wasn't necessary for you wife huh?

I wonder why it never worked for me.

I will definitely try it again to see if I can get SOME effect from it, but I'm not sure what effect I'd be looking for as these days I'm not having trouble sleeping, but I do take Melatonin every night.

Maybe I could replace my Melatonin with it for one night and see if it does the job?

Or I get pain from old injuries doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, so maybe I could try it for that and see if it works as I know it has worked for other guys who I've trained with for their injuries.

Yes, absolutely. Last night I got 0 hours of sleep. To put it lightly, today is going to be tough. My body actually seems to have adapted to pulling one or two all-nighters in a row, but it still affects me. In particular it affects my mouth motor skills, my balance, my wit, and of course I feel weird. The less sleep I get, the weirder I feel. It's hard to explain the feeling, but part of it is that I can feel the bags under my eyes. I sometimes become more irritable. I often have a mini-depression and decline any offers to hang out with friends or go out to eat with my family. I just want to stay home and be mad at my insomnia. I also usually avoid driving because driving often makes me drowsy, and I fear falling asleep at the wheel. Ooh that gives me a thought. I don't know if car rides make you sleepy, but if you're ever DESPERATE for a nap consider asking a friend or family member to drive you around a little till you fall asleep. It would work for me. Let me give you some tips that may help you fall asleep:

Swilow mentioned meditation... There's a man who was in the military many years ago who was shot in the head in such a way that he didn't die, but after that bullet wound he essentially lost part of his brain and subsequently lost the ability to sleep. True story. Look it up. I don't know if he's still alive, but this guy literally could not fall asleep until he died. But everybody needs rest, so every night he would lie in bed and meditate for four hours. My father's side of the family is from India and does much meditation, and I have often heard from them that just a few hours of good meditation can equal eight hours of sleep in terms of rest. In other words, meditating can be way more restful than sleeping. If you're good at meditating.

So, I have severe insomnia. Mon-Thurs of last week I got collectively 7 hours of sleep, maybe. I have RBD, which is like sleepwalking. I'm prescribed klonopin for it. It keeps me from hitting my wife and baby in my sleep and knocking things off of the bedside table. I usually take 2 mg, and I've been taking that for at least six months. I also have restless leg syndrome, and for that I'm prescribed 700 mg of gabapentin (weird dosage, I know). The gabapentin is pretty sedating. I sometimes take 50mg of benadryl, but if I don't have any gabapentin the benadryl just worsens my RLS. Because of my RBD I am also instructed to take 15 mg of melatonin a night. I also often take 2000mg of valerian root.
I have sleep anxiety, and other types of anxiety, so despite all of these sedatives I often still can't fall asleep until like, 5am or later. And I take my meds before midnight, taking them in order of their peak time. Gaba first, klonopin an hour later, melatonin and valerian 1.5 hours later. I think I'm f*ing immune to sedatives, because all of those together STILL do not put me to sleep.

So here comes the useful info. When I was first prescribed gaba, which was rather recently, I went through it pretty fast because it was more sedating than my other meds. When I ran out, I had bad RLS, so I googled what can help with RLS. Many websites said that stretching and working out can help. My dad told me today that stretching RIGHT before bed wakes your body up, but stretching, or more specifically doing yoga, near bedtime can help you with sleep. How? Well, just like medicine, there are some yoga moves that are sedating, and some that are stimulating. Most are stimulating. If you have any interest in learning about sedating yoga poses, I'm pretty sure you could find them pretty easily through google.

You've probably heard this before, but warm milk supposedly does something with L-Tryptophan that can make you lethargic. However, all humans are at least a tiny bit lactose intolerant, which can upset the stomach and wake up the body. I have a theory that warm soy milk or almond milk may be less stimulating and just as sedating. The purpose in warming the milk is to make the milk more easily digestible, kind of like how when people are sick they often eat chicken noodle soup because it's easy to digest and hard to upset the stomach.

But wait, there's more. As a chronic insomniac, I've done a crap ton of research about things that can help me sleep. Okay, so I have to admit, I CAN get to sleep at a reasonable time if I REALLY need to. But for me it takes a hella lot of effort. I have to wake up early. I have to actively not be lazy. Like, if I want to go to a store a mile away, I'll walk there instead. Basically all throughout the day I'm expending energy to tire myself out. If I want to go to bed at a reasonable time each night I also have to work out at least every three days, ideally every other day, with a combination of weight and cardio exercises. Don't push yourself too much though. You don't want to be super sore when you're done, but you want to feel like you had a good workout. This applies to both guys and girls. If your gym has a shower and/or massage chair/bed, take advantage of it! Especially if it has a massage bed.
Okay that's not all though. So, you want to work out before it gets dark. That's my rule. Work out too late and you'll wake up your body. You can modify your rule for when you want to work out. It just has to be at least several hours before bed.
Before and after I work out, I stretch and do yoga. After the workout and the post-workout yoga, I do that simple yoga pose where you just lie on your back and stretch and relax.
You don't have to do all of the things that I'm suggesting, but the more you do, the better chance you'll have at getting to sleep.
The other important thing to do is either journal or meditate before bed. This is SUPER important because people with insomnia tend to carry a lot of thoughts in their head around the time that they should be asleep. I prefer a journal. Like, seriously, get a journal and write in it every night before bed. Write everything that you can think of until there are basically no more thoughts in your head. This is probably more effective than going to the gym every other night.

Now come the things to avoid. Most of them are pretty obvious. I don't remember the exact timings, so I'm gonna estimate/try to remember...
Obviously no caffeine in the evening. Same with nicotine. I used to smoke a pack a day, but if I wanted to sleep that night I'd stop smoking around 6.
Turn off all monitors -- tv, computers, phones -- at least 2 hours before bed, ideally 4 hours before. Keep your phone off of your bed for anxiety reasons.
If you like to have a midnight snack like I do, eat something small that won't stimulate your digestive system too much. A quick google search can help you find a list of appropriate night-time foods, but a suggestion that I really liked was low-sugar yogurt. One egg is also a good idea, especially if you take my advice about working out.

This kind of goes without saying, but once your sleep starts improving, try to set a regular sleep schedule so that your body can get used to sleeping at a certain time. I don't know if you have any kids, but I have a toddler and she goes to sleep every night right around 10:30. It's because she's been going to bed at 10:30 for so long (6 months?) that her body now naturally gets tired at that time. Same thing with adults. Circadian rhythm. (Speaking of, during my sleep study I learned that some people just naturally have abnormal circadian rhythms that can't really be helped with melatonin and stuff)

Out of all the things that I just said, the most helpful things are working out or doing yoga regularly, avoiding all of those things that I listed before bedtime, and writing in a journal or meditating before bed. Especially the last one.

Okay, I saved the best for last. This is probably the least known technique to help one get to sleep. Btw I'm a BL noob, but I am not associated with the app that I'm about to endorse. I'm not trying to promote a brand, I just want to share this incredibly helpful software. So, I bought this app on my phone called iDoser. I'm not suggesting that you buy it. TBH I torrented the PC version of it and converted the files to the right type (easier than it sounds). The cool thing about having the app on my computer is that I can listen to iDoser and Pandora or music on youtube at the same time. So, iDoser is a software that plays binaural beats that create different effects. These beats essentially hypnotize you into feeling a certain way by playing different tones in each ear. It's really cool stuff. They have "doses" for recreational experiences like Oxy, they have doses that improve sex and video game experiences, but most awesomely they have doses that help you sleep. The doses on the phone are okay, but the doses on the computer version are better in my opinion. There is one in particular called "SleepingAngel" that's on both the PC and phone. What many of these doses do is their individual beats going into each ear change your brain wave to something else. With SleepingAngel, I lie down with bluetooth noise-cancelling headphones, play some calm background music on youtube, close my eyes after making sure that the room is very dark, and then I start the dose. I don't understand the science of it exactly, but Sleeping Angel, I believe, carries your brainwave into lower and lower brainwaves, until eventually your brain has the brainwave that is associated with deep sleep. Out of all the things that I've suggested, SleepingAngel has the highest success rate of putting me to sleep. Like sometimes I'm skeptical of binaural beats but then I play my sleep dose playlist and I wake up 8 hours later and my reassurance in the software is brought back. Again, the app/computer program is called iDoser. If you go to the website you can buy the software and some doses, but if you're sneaky like me there are other ways to get iDoser and its various doses. Note, a lot of people try iDoser one time and it doesn't work and they give it up. There are tutorials on how to use the software. Essentially, use noise-cancelling over-the-ear headphones. Keep your room as dark as possible (no live monitors) and close your eyes. A sleep mask helps. The hard part is, the doses work best if you adopt a meditational mindset while you listen. If you've ever meditated you know what I mean. And also, the doses become more effective the more that you dose because your mind kind of has to adapt to listening to the beats.
It sounds like a lot of work but it's really not that much work, and as a chronic insomniac I have to say that this has been the most helpful thing for me. If I have an important meeting or interview the following morning, I follow all of my rules for what not to do before sleep, do some yoga, and then listen to some binaural beats and calming music, and before I know it I fall asleep. Like I said before, the way that this software works is kind of like hypnotism. And like hypnotism, the more you believe it'll affect you, the more it will.

I think I'm about out of suggestions. Plus I've been talking A LOT. I'll end with suggesting some good OTC sleep aids. Melatonin is the most helpful. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) can be helpful but can make insomnia worse if you have a history of RLS. Valerian Root helps me a little. Concerning prescriptions, I advise not getting benzos or non-benzos like ambien. They'll help a lot, but you'll quickly get a tolerance and if you ever want to stop taking these medications, it will lead to hellish nights of possible RLS and definite insomnia. The best sleep med I've ever been prescribed is mirtazapine/remeron. It's a sedating anti-depressant, so it's best for people with insomnia AND depression. But it can be used off-label for insomnia as needed, and IME its nearly as sedating as xanax.

I hope at least some of what I said was helpful! Good luck to you.

I often find myself in this position. Besides taking something which has been noted above as lowering sleep quality I simply lay and tell myself, "The only thing I have to do for the next x amount of hours is lay here and nothing else, just chillax."

Oftentimes it allows me to let go of focusing on sleep, just resting and I usually drift off sooner than later.

Does the CBD oil get you high? I can't smoke weed as it makes me paranoid and panicky so not sure if its a good idea but will be willing to try this if its free from THC