• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Valacyclovir Long-Term Use

SunriseChampion

Bluelighter
I know this isn't a psychoactive, but I have a question in regards to its long term use that I have not been able to have answered by any pharmacist I've spoken to. I know there are some highly knowledgeable people on here in the context of pharmacology, so I was hoping to give it a shot.

Anyway, a few years ago, my then-doctor prescribed me 500mg valacyclovir once daily to prevent cold sore symptoms. It was meant as a permanent dosing schedule. The usual indication for treating cold sore symptoms is 2g twice, 12 hrs apart, for one day. Works like magic, by the way...at least for me.
So, when I first received the prescription, I took it daily as prescribed (500mg 1x/day) but shortly thereafter asked my pharmacist about any possible long-term effects of taking an anti-viral medication. She wasn't able to give me an answer.
I then went around to various pharmacies, asking the same question, to no avail.
So I stopped taking it daily and only now take it when symptoms appear (2g 2x/day for one day).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here would know of any studies done into long-term daily use of this or any similar anti-viral medications. Very much appreciate any insight.

Cheers

(homeless ---- > healthy living) I was given this medication when I had shingles not long ago. I don't know of any studies on long-term daily Valacyclovir. My doctor did mention that it's hard on the liver so that's one issue that you should consider talking with your health care provider about.

(homeless ---- > healthy living) I was given this medication when I had shingles not long ago. I don't know of any studies on long-term daily Valacyclovir. My doctor did mention that it's hard on the liver so that's one issue that you should consider talking with your health care provider about.

Ah, bloody shingles. They're rough. I get those as well. About once every four or five years. One of the doctors I saw a couple of years ago was seriously worried I had some sort of immunodeficiency because of the rate of occurrence, age at first occurrence, and current age. All my blood work ever says I'm exceptionally healthy so I have no idea. Probably some sort of very specific gene oddity.

Hard on the liver? Damn, I only ever learnt that I should keep well hydrated when medicating with it and that it shouldn't be used by people with renal impairments.

Looks like all the times I medicated with it on days after having drank alcohol were a bad idea indeed. Lesson learnt.

I'm actually never going to use it daily again (I stopped within 6 months of starting, and that was back in 2012).

Cheers.

Ok, so I finally found somewhere on the internet (can't remember now) the info. Rather underwhelming: Valacyclovir has not been tested for therapeutic use beyond 12 months and is therefore not recommended as a therapy beyond 12 months.

That explains why my then-doctor prescribed me only a year's worth. Though, I'm sure he would have prescribed me more at the end of that.