• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Why are Ireland and the UK such nanny states when it comes to drugs?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
Jesus Christ, Europe definitely has greater restriction on drug prescriptions compared to the States but having visited and living in the UK/Ireland, it seems like it's taken one step further. Almost ANY drug (prescription, illicit) and even goddamn herbal supplements lilke 5-HTP, Melatonin, Modafinil, have unnecessary restrictions or are totally not available. Importing them even from a verified pharmacy that's licensed by the EU in an EU country isn't allowed whatsoever (in Ireland).

Why the nanny state regulations? Want to hear from bluelighters that live in the British Isles. It seems to be an 'island phenomenon' with western nations. Ireland, UK, and Australia all have very stringest laws on drug use and importation in general.

Yea but I heard they want to introduce legislation that makes it even harder. In the noughties you could apparently buy it OTC without playing "20 questions" with the pharmacist.

Yea but I heard they want to introduce legislation that makes it even harder. In the noughties you could apparently buy it OTC without playing "20 questions" with the pharmacist.

We still don't have to. "Have you had them before" often suffices...

it might have something to do with the fact that healthcare and medicine is government subsidised, and the prescription drug industry is focused on a bit more on health needs than profit.
prescription drugs are marketed directly to consumers in the USA (on tv and in print media) - i think new zealand is the only other country that allows that.

some jurisdictions within the united states may have legalised cannabis, but it's still the country that created - and imported - drug prohibition globally, forcing other countries to follow suit through political and economic pressure.

of course, the UK, like lots of other places, has plenty anti-drug zealots of their own too.
personally i blame an mixture of conservative, reactionary political ideologies and bureaucracy.

Melatonin is easy and legal to buy online - I recently ordered some, as is Modafinil (although I was deterred by the extortionate price for that), even though they're technically prescription medications

It can't be long before cannabis will start to be decriminalised here if even some US states have done it. It's just too ridiculous to maintain it's status as an illicit substance. Mind you, back in the 1960s people were convinced it would be legalised soon, so who knows...

the corporate push is on. i think it won't be long. canada now, and new zealand are meant to have a referendum on legalisation later this year - which would appear to be a foregone conclusion (kiwis love their weed; a few years back demand outstripped supply, and prices became insanely high.

the industries growing around cannabis are enormous and lucrative, and many wealthy powerful people want in on that shit, so once the cultural taboo is broken down by more progressive countries, and it becomes more mainstream, the conservatives around the world will be able to put aside their (legit or totally phoney hangups about weed and just embrace the sheer profitability of it all.

Still seems like it will be some ways off as neither Labour or the Tories have pledged to decriminalise it in their manifestos. The Liberal Democrats have said they'd legalise it for medicinal use, but since they can never get in power they're irrelevant. It was in fact the last Labour govt that bumped it back up from class C to Class B drug, for no rhyme or reason and against the advice of their sensible advisors

the potential tax revenues from weed may seem irresistable to a bankrupt government though - that's probably our best hope. I hope they hurry up, because I don't know how much longer I can last without it!

Last edited:
Having lived in the USA well outside the usual tourist trap places I found "Amerika" a lot worse, for a basic point we have NO school zones, I know one guy I worked with & he got caught with a single spliff outside a shop in a "school zone" & had urine testing for 12 months & 24 months probation. You get caught in the UK with a spliff they cops will tell you how much of a foul human you are, take the weed off you & tell you to go home.

Also really do you want to live in a place that tosses out opiate medicine by the bucket load & causes huge addiction? I sure think that is a bad idea myself.
Anyone that thinks to abuse opiates if you have no addiction to start with is a fucking idiot, you fight that addiction for the rest of your life.

Plus with UK doctors they toss out scripts quite easy, I got a decent Zopiclone habit for free, not that is a good thing may I add, we run things over here in a different way. Plus the UK used to have legal heroin scripts for their addicts till the late 1960's when bullshit laws were passed that came from the USA.

I would have a good look at Harry J. Anslinger for a start, yeah thanks USA you did a fucking great job with that ass-hat!!!!!!

I'm surprised anyone finds the stuff any USE let alone habit forming.

Are you referring to zopiclone? I must admit to liking it quite a lot. It hits hard and fast - much more so than any benzo I've had. It gouches you out goodstyle and you even know you're fucked at the time - unlike benzos where you have to piece together missing parts of your life over the next few days in order to try and determine if you 'had a good time'...

why would the government let a private company earn a profit selling a basic medical supplements (melatonin or whateva)?? They wouldn't, they just ban them and when you actually need said drugs they can charge you ?8.60

Are you referring to zopiclone? I must admit to liking it quite a lot. It hits hard and fast - much more so than any benzo I've had. It gouches you out goodstyle and you even know you're fucked at the time - unlike benzos where you have to piece together missing parts of your life over the next few days in order to try and determine if you 'had a good time'...

As he said above 100%

sniff a single 7.5mg (or maybe more if you got into 'em a bit) then have a small spliff and/or a bottle of Westons cider it will see you good trust me on that one.

Checked msgs, can't see anything.

But I've been given zolpidem, zopiclone/eszopiclone and zaleplon.The zolpidem is pretty crazy ass shit. Zopiclone is as if zolpidem had a really, really REALLY premature baby, the kind that can't breathe for itself and needs hooking up to an ECMO machine. and tastes like crap, nowhere near as chewy and crunchy as biting into a real premature infant, freshly grilled and dressed with melted cheese and worcestershire sauce. Zaleplon? they need to take it off the market so people can't be fobbed off with it. might as well be the freeze-dried jism of the big pharma corp. boss's family dog,divided up into sub-nanogram portions and stuck in pills.

I've snorted something like 2 maybe 3 months worth of the stuff in as few sequential lines as was needed to get it up there, water dripped down my nose, may as well have stood in buttfuck saudi arabia listening to some bearded freak with a diaper on his head spunking all over the koran until the climate mixed with the stench of barbarism and stale unwashed terrorist sweat and pissed in kecks led to heatstroke-induced delirium and binladenite-stench-induced projectile vomiting; for all the difference it made.

Zopiclone isn't much better. At any prescribed dose, its gonna be inactive, and if I take a month or two worth, snorted or plugged, then take a nodding dose of opioids, it'll cause me some cartoony noises, akin to a giant vibrating spring being stretched then snapped, wierd 'boiiing' noises, MMMAAAYBE with a huge dose, I mean a huge dose even from my point of view, some slightly enhanced colour to the visionary state of the opiate nod. But we'd be taking about 1/4-0.5g zopiclone, plugged, along with a hefty dose of methadone, or a lot of morphine or oxy or both or all three shot up IV.

Bandit-my inbox was full for a few days, so if this is about what we were talking about before, resend the msg.

Mate the US is far worse right now.

Since you used to hand out OxyContin like sweets you've now had to go in the complete opposite direction and made it virtually impossible to get opiates. It's now at the point where it's easier to opiates in the UK than it is in the US. Codeine is OTC, and the stuff you need a prescription for is not really difficult to get. No you don't get super strong opiates when you don't actually need them - that's a good thing. Codeine, DHC, even morphine are often easy enough to get if you have a genuine need though.

If you have a script for any controlled drug in the US you get random drug tests and can have your script yanked off you with no taper for even testing positive for cannabis even in states where it's legal, read about that all the time. That never ever happens here.

If you get caught with illicit substances in the US the police will actually take you to court and you'll get a record and a fine, possibly community service, possibly jail, and that's if they don't just decide to shoot you. Here they just take it off you and give you a verbal warning. Probably just use your drugs themselves the cheeky cunts.

I'm so fucking glad I don't live in the "land of the free" which let's not forget also has the highest prison population per capita in the whole world, assisted not insignificantly by drug prohibition, and in some states still has the death penalty.

And you call the UK a police state :?

Oh and zopiclone is decent for getting a buzz on, zolpidem is decent if you want to wake up naked in your kitchen covered in mustard.

Medical cannabis is coming to the UK very soon it's already in motion.