• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Anyone here who fasts? Let?s share tips and talk..

beagleboy

Bluelighter
Hey, so I?ve recently discovered fasting. Short term fasting, long term fasting, intermediate fasting etc. So far Ive done two 48 hour fasts and a 72 hour fast. I?ve had no need to take any supplements like electrolytes. I?ve been trying to do a low calorie keto diet also.

The first time I did a 48 hour fast I lost 10lbs! A lot of water. 1 gram of glycogen holds 2.5-3.8 grams of water. Having very watery bowel movements, and like 5 of them sucks. I figure that if you do a keto diet for a few days before starting your fast you won?t have a lot of glycogen in your body and thus much less water to be shitting out. What do you think?

I’ve found the snakejuice diet to be a good source. Have you heard of it? It’s straight up water fasting and using his electrolyte homemade drink. Google snakejuice diet.

Last edited:
I am doing Intermittent Fasting at the moment. I started last April, and so far I lost 7 kilos. I used to weigh 102 kilos and is considered obese for my height. If I was serious with my daily walk and to not eating sugared snacks, I'm sure the weight loss would be greater. Been taking raspberry capsules too.

Cool cool, are you using the raspberries as an antioxidant? Besides losing weight, fasting serves as a detox too.

Fasting is a tricky game. IMO, the first bit of weight you lose during an extreme fast is water weight and glycogen storage that was within your muscles. If you entered an extreme catabolic state then there is the possibility that you utilized some of your own muscle for energy which isn't something that is ideal to say the least.

Entering a state of ketosis isn't something that usually occurs over a period of 24-48 hours. It's gradual shift in your body from it preferring carbohydrates for energy to your lipid storage and that process in itself is called lipolysis (break down of fatty tissue for energy). This biological mechanism most definitely doesn't occur overnight due to the amount of work it requires, yet the gained from metabolizing fat brings a larger quantity of calories to your body for it's daily functions vs a carbohydrate. In the end though we only have so much fat and if you take it to the extremes you will notice some of your malar fat pads may begin to hollow out and your skin on the face will become noticeably tighter. I've had this effect before trying to see where my limits were.

Now the great thing about playing with ketosis is that it puts your body in a sponge like state. It has become hyper efficient at utilizing what little of nutrients you provide it albeit you shouldn't short yourself on micronutrients and trace minerals. If you were to stick to a quality fasting routine for 8-12 weeks and then slowly load carbohydrates back into you, you'll experience a cool phenomenon called glycogen supercompensation. Your body will basically suck in all carbohydrates it sees as it values it as a rare source since you've forced it to go an alternative route for energy (and a more costly one). The effects can be an appearance that your muscles seem pumped/full and you get a very vascular pump when working out after coming out of keto-like diet plans.