• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

want to lose weight but...

zagor11

Bluelighter
I am gaining weight even if I do not eat or if I eat diet. I take a lot of oxufor my pain and the shit doesnt even give me high but has anyone been able to stop weight gain while on oxy?

Oxy isn't one of the drugs well known for weight gain (unlike methadone, prednisone and some antidepressants) but what you can do is try to get back to 3 meals a day or at least 2 good meals and a snack.

Oftentimes when people are in pain or depressed they don't eat right or as often as they need to, dropping down to just 1 meal in the middle of the day.

This makes your body think that it's starving and it begins to take everything you eat and store it as fat. It's something human beings developed over thousands of years to make it through lean years. It's a great mechanism to save the species but if we aren't careful it's easy to gain weight by skipping meals and ignoring our bodies because we don't feel like cooking.

Try to increase your calories back to a normal amount for your age and size, don't skip meals and start taking vitamins. You'll see a difference pretty quickly if you feed your body properly.

I force myself to eat 2 meals a day, I keep protein bars to snack on and take various vitamins. It has helped a lot, and adding in a multivitamin has given me more energy.

The best way to lose weight when you put your body into starvation mode is to eat lol. Pretty cool huh?

I do not take Oxi regularly, but I have lost 12kg in 6 months.
The key has been to stop eating bread and do 3 hours per week of heliptic machine at an average of 165 beats per minute (high performance).

DocLad

I do not take Oxi regularly, but I have lost 12kg in 6 months.
The key has been to stop eating bread and do 3 hours per week of heliptic machine at an average of 165 beats per minute (high performance).

DocLad

Doclad has the right idea.

Cut out carbs. Our bodies evolved on the savans of africa, tailoring us to a primarily meat based diet. Our ancestors also ate berries and some ancient grains. When we consumed these carbs our bodies sent the fat in our diet into storage, with the assumption that the carbs would run out and we would burn the fat at a later date.

In modern times the carbs never run out so your body never uses the fat. If you stop consuming carbs (including sugar) your body goes into ketosis, a fat burning mode that turns fat into ketones like acetone for fuel. Carbohydrates are a non essential nutrient.. your body does not need them. Some fats ( omega3 ) are essential.

You want to eat meat, eggs, fish, nuts, seeds, green veggies.

avoid bread, rice, potatoes, pasta or any grain based food. You want to avoid fruit for the most part but on occasion berries or bananas are okay.

You can still eat bacon, butter and if you want diet pop ( soda ). You cant do this half ass, but it you commit yourself there is lots of good stuff to eat. You can even do baking with almond/coconut flour and ground flax. There is more info online.

good luck

Opiates, including oxy, generally make me lose weight or at least stay the same. When i'm on them i feel less of a need for food, but i guess everyone is different.

I like intermittent fasting to keep the pounds off, when you run your body dry for over 10 hours a day it can't help but burn fat. Also when i was really trying to get into shape i replaces all of my regular junk food snacks with fruit and vegetables.

A raw sliced cucumber, whole carrot, banana, and apple can actually be a pretty satisfying lunch. Try to limit fruits to some degree since the sugar, although healthier than processed sugar, can still cause weight gain if done in excess.

There was a point where i had all of my daily snacks, in between lunch and dinner, replaced with bananas. They are incredibly cheap and are very healthy, there was a point where i was eating at least 4 of them a day, which might be a bit excessive with the extra sugar.

I'm no dietician but eating less while generally eating more plants seems like a bulletproof strategy, maybe i'm totally wrong though.

????
not sure if youre kidding.. if youre not.. check with the inuit.

I'm not kidding.
Maybe it's a cultural aspect, I live in Spain and here rice is considered beneficial in any healthy diet. In China and India a lot of rice is consumed, I thought it had to be essential if so many people eat it.
I did not know that to lose weight it was better not to eat rice, although I suppose that eliminating carbohydrates from the diet is more important.
I'm not an expert so excuse me if I say some nonsense.

By the way, what does Inuit mean?

DocLad

I'm not kidding.
Maybe it's a cultural aspect, I live in Spain and here rice is considered beneficial in any healthy diet. In China and India a lot of rice is consumed, I thought it had to be essential if so many people eat it.
I did not know that to lose weight it was better not to eat rice, although I suppose that eliminating carbohydrates from the diet is more important.
I'm not an expert so excuse me if I say some nonsense.

By the way, what does Inuit mean?

DocLad

Yeah I'm not saying rice is bad for you, but if youre looking to lose weight you dont want to eat it. Definitely not essential and missing important nutrients like vitamin A which is why so many people with primarily rice based diets go blind.

The inuit are a people who traditionally only ate seals haha and other animals. They lived in extremely cold temperatures where farming is not an option ( northern canada and alaska I think ). You can get nutrients like vitamin C from fresh meat so that is all you need to survive. They ate ALL of the animals though. The skin, eyes, cartilage.

I'm interestingly having similar issues. I've always struggled with weight gain and obesity is rampant in my family. I'm 5'9 and have gone between 275 and 165 at least 4 times.

I got it all off about 2 years ago and was sitting at 175 for a good 2 years until about 8 months ago. Weight slowly started increasing and I'm now fluctuating between 195 - 205lbs seemingly no matter what I do. It's getting rather frustrating and discouraging.

Ironically, the only few real changes that occured around the time of weight increase initiation was quitting a fairly heavy cannabis habit (2+ grams/day smoked for like 4 years) and initiating vyvanse treatment.

I've taken kratom daily for about 5 years 20 - 30g per day for chronic pain.

Feels like all of a sudden something changed with my body chemistry. Diet and exercise are seemingly useless. I have started drinking quite a bit of wild turkey 101 though :sus:

Last edited:
I have to say that although opiates are stereotypically associated with weight loss, I've always gained weight on opiates. They make me a lot hungrier and I suspect might lower my metabolism. Everyone is different but I suspect a lot of the "heroin chic" image can be attributed to addicts who are spending literally every last dime on dope without regard to food.

I know this sounds trite and I usually don't even do it, but if you are serious about dieting than you must count your calories. This is the only way to get the peace of mind that you are actually burning a calorie deficit. Everything else including meal frequency and exercise and even medication are trivial factors in comparison. If I restrict myself to 1000 calories per day then I know I am steadily losing weight even if I lay in bed all day.