• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

New to Adderall and ADHD

Srjs28

Greenlighter
I am new to the site and hoping to gain some knowledge from you people. Today I was prescribed 10 mg Adderall XR for my ADHD diagnosis. Psychiatrist recommended taking 1 10 mg then another 10 mg if the first one doesn?t help. I ended up taking 8 through out a 6 hour period and nothing has changed. I feel the same. Still have trouble with reading comprehension,concentrating on certain tasks, following along with my wife?s conversations and basic daily activities. I was given the option of the XR or IR, I choose the XR for the simple reason that it lasts longer. But I hear and read that IR is the way to go. Any of you had experience with taking both XR and IR. How do you compare the 2. Thanks

If nothing happened after 80 mg of adderall id give up and try something else that is beyond typical doses of 5-60mg theraputically. Maybe something else will do something.

Too much can be as bad or worse than none at all. I've found that a decent night's sleep and at least something to eat is essential for the med to help me focus.

If you felt nothing noticably different from 80mg of XR, than IR isn't going to be the magic bullet. Try taking 30mg of XR at once in the morning on a fresh day. If it doesn't improve your symptoms at all, I suggest asking your psych about Focalin XR or IR.

There's also a genetic test (cheek swab) your doctor can conduct to help determine which med is appropriate. It's not uncommon for people to try several different medications before finding the best choice.

I started with Adderall IR and then tried Focalin IR / XR because the Adderall caused vocabulary deficits and dry mouth. Focalin was better for my cognition but not better for my physical restlessness or my depression. I settled on dexedrine, but there are plenty of people who prefer adderall. It's trial and error for a bit. As for XR vs IR, I noticed a bit worse of a comedown with XR and prefer IR for flexible dosing, but otherwise they feel the same.

I'd say you've either got a cross-tolerance from something you've taken in the past (speed, meth, cocaine, and Ritalin can definitely all do this, and possibly drugs like MDMA as well), or you're just a non-responder (rare for amphetamines, but not unheard of).