• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Cities Planning Supervised Injection Sites Fear Justice Department Reaction

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Cities Planning Supervised Drug Injection Sites Fear Justice Department Reaction
Bobby Allyn
NPR
July 12th, 2018

In parts of the country hit hard by addiction, some public health officials are considering running sites where people can use heroin and other illegal drugs under medical supervision. Advocates say these facilities, known as supervised injection sites, save lives that would otherwise be lost to overdoses and provide a bridge to treatment.

There are at least 13 efforts underway in U.S. cities and states to start an official supervised injection site - with advocates in several cities saying they want to be the first. And the forms vary. Seattle is planning a safe injection van; Philadelphia is considering portable structures; some elected officials in places like Denver, Vermont, Delaware and San Francisco, are trying to gather support for proposals.

Harm reduction advocates hope supervised injection sites can follow the path of needle exchange programs which have gained wider acceptance over the years, thanks to their role in containing the spread of HIV and AIDS. There are now needle exchange programs in 39 states.

But many safe injection site proposals seem to be waylaid in community debate and legal uncertainty.

Scott Burris, director of Temple University's Center for Public Health Law Research, says municipalities are worried about a showdown with Jeff Sessions' Department of Justice.

Read the full story here.

Of course Sessions would fight it tooth and nail. It boggles my mind that he was so popular in Alabama that the last time he ran for re-election to the senate he was so popular the Democrats didn't even bother running anyone against him.

Of course Sessions would fight it tooth and nail. It boggles my mind that he was so popular in Alabama that the last time he ran for re-election to the senate he was so popular the Democrats didn't even bother running anyone against him.

And it is so pitiful to see the spineless DNC refuse to even participate in the corresponding political process. Pathetic.

Sorry if that offends anyone, but this is precisely how the Dems ended up losing close to 1,000 seats - not to mention the house, the senate, and of course, the residence located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. And yet, the party leadership continues to employ the useless consultants who're so out of touch with the world outside of their cocktail circuit bubble that I bet they're convinced the American people care more about Stormy Daniels than they do about their jobs; about the economy. Ugh! Caca!

Scott Burris, director of Temple University's Center for Public Health Law Research, says municipalities are worried about a showdown with Jeff Sessions' Department of Justice

Ah yes, Jeff 'Small Government'/'I don't recall'/'Reefer Madness' Sessions. Fucking Evil Keebler Elf could probably use a couple bong hits.

Scott Burris, good luck - I sincerely hope y'all prevail.