• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Meditation and spirituality was the missing ingredient!

bennyZA

Bluelighter
Hey guys,

It's been literally years since I posted. For no obvious reason I decided I had to go to BL today to see what's changed. When I logged on I was amazed, I had so many PM's asking me if I was still alive, if I was okay, what happened to me etc. I was looking over old posts I made and I realized that I was in bad shape back then and I had resigned myself to a death from drugs at some point. My lifestyle and addiction was almost as bad as it gets. So what happened?

Well, I decided I literally had to stop doing what I was doing completely, so I asked myself, what is the complete opposite of my lifestyle. The first thought that popped up into my head was becoming a monk and I was like, nah... that's never gonna happen. But one thing lead to another and I decided to visit a Buddhist monastery. Even though I'm totally atheist and had a distaste for religion I decided to move in a for few weeks to see what happened. It was pretty cool, but I went back to my old life. Then someone convinced me to come back and stay longer, so I did. Next thing I know I started meditating hours a day. Then I started doing retreats and I learned about a form of meditation called Shamatha. It's unbelievable. You can enter what are called Jhana states, which are basically the most profound trance states you can get into. It takes a lot of self-control and discipline, but once you learn it, you can get complete control over the reward centers in your brain. Once I entered into my first Jhana state, I was like "WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS BEFORE I STARTED DOING DRUGS!" Next thing I know, I'm learning more and more forms of meditation and each one has its own unique feel.

To really get deep into this, I eventually did become a Buddhist monk in the Zen tradition. I moved to a monastery off-the-grid where I ended up staying for 3 years! I also started living my life for the benefit of others. I completely put myself in the hands of meditation and disregarded my well-being in order to help other people. My self-confidence and kindness to myself took off exponentially. From time to time I have a few drinks, and I need CBD cannabis to manage my chronic pain (from injuries sustained because of drug use), but besides that, my body wont even let me do drugs anymore. Even if I try to smoke a cigarette, my body will make me throw up!

So I say to all you people who need support, mindfulness is good, intense meditation with the spiritual aspect is better. It changed my life, and I think it can help anyone. It was my own closed mind that made me completely disregard spirituality as a way to deal with my addiction. I gave it a chance and I put all the energy I used to use to find drugs into meditation. I honestly can't believe how bad I was doing, because right now I think I might have one of the most wonderful lives in the world, I even have a beautiful wife now too!

So yea. Deep meditation states are more pleasurable than any drug, and the best way to really dive deep into meditation is to give spirituality a try with a totally open mind!

Amazing story!! Good for you brother!! Whatever works works! Keep it up and I hope we all can arrive at the same place.

Damn dude!! I definitely remember you from back in the day. I was mostly a lurker back then but I recognize the name and remember your struggling. I can't remember my of the particulars but that is an amazing story. 3 years!! Wow!! That's dedication. Glad you overcame the darkness brother. I have flirted with forms of meditation but would like to get back into it and explore it further...

Keep doing whatever it is that keeps you away from garbage.

It's kinda amazing, I reread some of my posts and holy shit... Can't believe how I could change so rapidly!