• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alternative to amphetamines for appetite?

U

Unregistered22343

Could someone recommend a medication, research chemical or supplement for appetite control that is non-amphetamine based? Amphetamine based medications worked the best in the past for both mood, energy and suppression. However, I wish to minimize cardiovascular side effects for other reasons not due to a heart issues per say, only that I wish minimizing the risk as much as possible. Suggestions?

Also is there a good medication to help mitigate the risks of amphetamines on the perheripal nervous system?

I believe modafinil has some appetite suppressing effects. It is not an approved FDA treatment but I know a few people who have taken it and had lost weight.

It's fairly new and possibly associated with serious side effects (so do extensive research) but lorcaserin is a 5-ht2c agonist that is used under certain circumstances for appetite reduction.

I have read that lorcaserin can cause hallucinations at higher doses. Is this due to the serotonin activity or some other mode of action?

Hoodia Gordonii is a cactus extract that makes you not want to eat for DAYS

I have read that lorcaserin can cause hallucinations at higher doses. Is this due to the serotonin activity or some other mode of action?

Turns out, at higher doses, it has some good ol' 5-ht2a affinity. Problem would be that, at those doses, it also has some pesky 5-ht2b affinity which is associated with drug induced valvulopathy. Remember fen-phen? Also it's probably still on patent so they might want a leg or so per refill.

Ahh yeah I forgot it was 5-ht2a that is responsible for that. Got my receptors mixed up haha

Hi, I like the fact that Hoodia Gordonii is not a Rx drug. One drawback of non-Rx drugs is that there is no standardization, one brands product might be effective vs others will not. I am reading amazon reviews and some say only a certain brand works. Would you please share which one you use? Also what do you think about this:
<snip>

Last edited by a moderator:
ECA stack ( ephedrine, caffeine, aspirin ). All otc meds.

Edit: just read you are looking to avoid cardovascular side effects. This may not be for you then....

Thanks Pickledlemons, I actually like the stack you mention, since its less harmful than Adderall/Vyvanse and if it can give same appetite suppression .... hallelujah :) THOUGH ephedrine is unfortunately not available over the counter in USA nor can be ordered online without a Rx. I think there are some black sites where I could buy though it would be pricey.

ECA stack ( ephedrine, caffeine, aspirin ). All otc meds.

Edit: just read you are looking to avoid cardovascular side effects. This may not be for you then....

^this is why modafinil would be a very good replacement if the OP can get it. It is a stimulant with DRI activity and also releases orexin, suppressing appetite. Plus the cardiovascular side effects are very minor compared to amp.

Thanks Pickledlemons, I actually like the stack you mention, since its less harmful than Adderall/Vyvanse and if it can give same appetite suppression .... hallelujah :) THOUGH ephedrine is unfortunately not available over the counter in USA nor can be ordered online without a Rx. I think there are some black sites where I could buy though it would be pricey.

Pretty sure that at "therapeutic" doses, the ECA stack is more harmful to the cardiovascular system than amphetamine (especially the d-amphetamine in vyvanse). The problems with amphetamines lie mostly in their addiction/abuse potential, which then leads to psychological issues (and ultimately cardiovascular symptoms too, if you keep up the abuse for extended periods of time).

I used to take the ECA stack (used to be able to buy ephedrine in gas stations) back in the day during my bodybuilding days to reduce body fat. That's some serious shit! It would commonly make me break out in a major sweat. Unfortunately, no that can't be good, right?

Modafinil is also a controlled substance, an Rx drug like Adderall / Vyvanse. You can get it from black sites for an exorbitant price not worth it. Adrafinil - the precursor to Modafinil you can get it legally in the US, though it is less desirable than Modafinil and requires very high dosages to make it work.

^this is why modafinil would be a very good replacement if the OP can get it. It is a stimulant with DRI activity and also releases orexin, suppressing appetite. Plus the cardiovascular side effects are very minor compared to amp.

We aren't supposed to discuss prices, so I am going to avoid specifics, but I don't know where you are sourcing modafinil, everywhere I have gotten/seen it(grey/black markets) has been dirt cheap.

Yeah it might be a little difficult to obtain without a script. But i was somewhat under the assumption that the OP had a amph script and wished to stop due to side effects. Even though it is a C IV it seems pretty benign as a drug of abuse. Was the OP only wanting otc medication advice?

I dont think OP is after Rx drugs, otherwise he/she would go to a Doc rather than sourcing info from bluelight forum. Rx drugs are PLENTY for appetite control that dont have cardiovascular risk profile, however no doc would prescribe (at least in western society) unless the patient has obesity or serious weight problem. These are drugs that land a doc straight into jail or the least banned from practicing medicine. And without a doc, in US for e.g. Modafinil is a "controlled substance" - a serious offence to buy it or be in possession without an Rx. When a person wants to procure it never the less, you pay extra premium so just not worth it. People here are looking for OTC compounds that they can procure with little difficulty. Good thing is these OTC supplements also come with a less side-effects, the problem is just finding the right info. which I believe Bluelight forum could be a gem. I'm new here so lets see : )
Update: I placed my order for 'Hoodia', will get it next friday, lets see what that does :)

Hi Lenses: are you for real, I mean not spam? :) Your claim was too tempting for me 'not wanting to eat for DAYS'. I was plenty of excited to try Hoodia. It didn't do anything for me, let alone days, it didn't do anything even for a second. Your claim is too tall. Now I am thinking maybe you are a spam paid by Hoodia, haha. So I started reading about it, I hear that there is a misperception that Hoodia aid weight loss and in fact it might do the opposite. Folks in Africa nibble on the Hoodia plant since its thought to help deal with famine/hunger. Though I read that in Western world where all of us already eat a lot, so Hoodia might do the opposite, i.e. make the digestion slower making us catch more weight!!