• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

hello,, i am /was a silent reader for years. Im having a huge 10-15mg xanax habit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizotlangval

Bluelighter
will a get seizures from a 2 month daily 10-15 mg xanax if i stop cold turkey? I hAVE A HISORY with benzo and i know its almost impossible to get the tolerance down to that desired level even after a year(my experience).
Right now its 8;45pm in india . Today i have took 15 mg xanax (spaced out), and about five minutes i go a chewed up 0.5mgx3= 2.5 mg ..
will alcohol help if i cant sleep since it act on the same gaba..
ive already downed 2 shots of whiskey before i took my last 2.5 mg xanxax.Feeling nothing.. i wish i coud get some long lasting benzo like nitrazepam,clonozepam or valium to taper down . but prescription/hospitalization etc WILL be needed..FUCK XANAX..another insomnia ..:?

Hi Mizot, Welcome to Bluelight.

Since you have a history with benzos you already should know that mixing with alcohol is not a good idea.

You will probably get more answers if you posted to the Other Drugs sub forum. Would you like me to move it for you?

Hi Mizot, Welcome to Bluelight.

Since you have a history with benzos you already should know that mixing with alcohol is not a good idea.

You will probably get more answers if you posted to the Other Drugs sub forum. Would you like me to move it for you?

yes definitely. thanks!

Im not a doctor but from the absolute sh*t show when i tried to stop 3mg of xanax that im almost glad i dont remember most of.

Using alcohol for a enormous xanax withdrawl is a very dangerous idea. Youd basically have to drink so many units of alcohol youd be in a situation no safer then when you started

Plus with such a short duration you could randomly go into seizures esp at night atless your drinking during your sleep.

Go to the hospital. Or a doctor and have him taper you slowly

Do not stop taking alprazolam cold turkey, You will get extremely unwell and be at risk of seizures. Do not mix alcohol with benzodiazepines it's extremely dangerous to mix CNS depressants with them.

I was taking a higher dose than you over a 2 month period and had to get a family member to drive me to hospital as a result of nearly having a seizure. I was unable to taper down more than 3 bars a day.

Don't be afraid to go to the hospital if you're unable to get alprazolam anymore or feeling unwell.

I had to substitute alprazolam for diazepam because of it's extremely long half life so it could protect me against seizures instead of the extremely aggressive onset and half life elimination alprazolam has.

I had to lecture the nurses/doctors into giving me diazepam, I received a large dose and instantly felt better. They had no idea what to give me until I began explaining I needed diazepam.

I had blood tests run and an ECG, Thankfully everything came back perfectly.

Tapering off alprazolam is generally an 8 week taper off schedule for most users.

If you can't get to the hospital be honest with your GP (doctor), Tell them about your alprazolam habit and that you need diazepam to taper off correctly.

4x 5mg diazepam tablets 3 times daily was enough to stop withdrawals from alprazolam for me. I was given 10 diazepam in hospital and more to take home with me to stop me shaking and settle the withdrawal symptoms. The nurses/doctors were shocked after they'd given me my 10th one as I was walking around feeling pretty much no physiological effects apart from settling my withdrawal symptoms, They were all saying if they had taken 10 diazepam they would be sleeping though thankfully the 10 stopped the withdrawals and the extras lasted me long enough to see a doctor and taper down a little bit.

6-8 5mg diazepam tablets are equivalent to 2mg of alprazolam.

So in your case you're taking the equivalent of approximately 42 diazepam a day.

I'm no doctor and can't advise you on how much to be taking but from my experience you'll most likely need to consume 6x 5mg diazepam tablets 3 times a day to settle the withdrawal symptoms and taper off by 1-2 diazepam per week or fortnight. You can choose to taper down more if you're experiencing little to no withdrawal symptoms.

Do not stop taking alprazolam cold turkey, You will get extremely unwell and be at risk of seizures. Do not mix alcohol with benzodiazepines it's extremely dangerous to mix CNS depressants with them. I was taking a higher dose than you over a 2 month period and had to get a family member to drive me to hospital as a result of nearly having a seizure. I was unable to taper down more than 3 bars a day. Don't be afraid to go to the hospital if you're unable to get alprazolam anymore or feeling unwell. I had to substitute alprazolam for diazepam because of it's extremely long half life so it could protect me against seizures instead of the extremely aggressive onset and half life elimination alprazolam has. I had to lecture the nurses/doctors into giving me diazepam, I received a large dose and instantly felt better. They had no idea what to give me until I began explaining I needed diazepam. I had blood tests run and an ECG, Thankfully everything came back perfectly. Tapering off alprazolam is generally an 8 week taper off schedule for most users. If you can't get to the hospital be honest with your GP (doctor), Tell them about your alprazolam habit and that you need diazepam to taper off correctly. 4x 5mg diazepam tablets 3 times daily was enough to stop withdrawals from alprazolam for me. I was given 10 diazepam in hospital and more to take home with me to stop me shaking and settle the withdrawal symptoms. The nurses/doctors were shocked after they'd given me my 10th one as I was walking around feeling pretty much no physiological effects apart from settling my withdrawal symptoms, They were all saying if they had taken 10 diazepam they would be sleeping though thankfully the 10 stopped the withdrawals and the extras lasted me long enough to see a doctor and taper down a little bit. 6-8 5mg diazepam tablets are equivalent to 2mg of alprazolam. So in your case you're taking the equivalent of approximately 42 diazepam a day. I'm no doctor and can't advise you on how much to be taking but from my experience you'll most likely need to consume 6x 5mg diazepam tablets 3 times a day to settle the withdrawal symptoms and taper off by 1-2 diazepam per week or fortnight. You can choose to taper down more if you're experiencing little to no withdrawal symptoms.

im at 6mg (spaced out) ... today.. im feeling great, but im still having a mild wildrawal from suboxne.. im getting a lot of info from this site .. ty so much, and i KNOW i can do it

I took 6-10 sometimes 12 mg of Xanax a day for 6 years . I went to detox for 4 days then tapered me down. I isn?t feel like it helped much but the said it got me out of the seizure zone . I had withdrawals for 6 months. First few months I felt insane . It?s in your head withdrawal not like opiates. You can?t find words or finish thoughts . Your speech is also messed up . I couldn?t take it one time and tried to get more . Couldn?t. I thought they had just messed my brain up forever. I was constantly dying of anxiety. It gets a little better after 3 months but I felt it until and 6 months. It?s been about 8 months now I feel like a different person in ways . I had forgot how I was .

that's a lot. I would not stop cold turkey. the alcohol in theory could help, but from personal experience something about it just isn't quite the same. It probably won't be easy coming off that much, you need to taper off of them.

I cant speak for everybody, but in my experience from about 3 years ago, I had a 6-10 mg xanax habit and went cold Turkey thinking I could make it to my next appointment so i could get a refill. Well long story short, I ran out about a week before I could refill so I said, meh 7 days... how bad can it be cold Turkey. Well about 24 hours into my last dose I was starting to experience withdrawals like restless legs, irratabily, insomnia, rebound anxiety. Then on hour 36 or so I started having grand mal seizures like crazy, like waking up dazed and confused on the floor with a severely chewed up tongue and extremely achy muscles from all the convulsions. I had 4 seizures before my mom found me and called the paramedics.

Anyways, moral of the story is I would not risk going cold Turkey. A couple of the seizures I had I would suddenly just drop and bang my head on shit on the way down. The doctor said I was very lucky that my mom found me when she did because I was doing a lot of damage to my brain, and was highly risking permanent brain damage or death.

Nowadays I did a long taper and am now on 10mg valium and I don't take it more than 3 times a week. Let me tell you, benzo withdrawal is by far the worst hell I've ever been through, but if you work with a doctor and do a slow taper you can overcome this habit. It's not easy but not impossible either. I would reccomend talking to a doctor and trying to get a benzo with a long half life.

The main point of this post is to just warn you not to go cold Turkey. It is very dangerous, and especially with your absurdly high habit, and could be life threatening.

Good luck.

I'd advise not to qu8it cold turkey, unless you check yourse8lf into rehab. If you're d8oing it on your own, you should taper off a bit at a time. Xanax is s8ome nasty stuff to catch a habit with. I barely remember my t8eens, thanks to Xanax.

will a get seizures from a 2 month daily 10-15 mg xanax if i stop cold turkey?
If I were a betting man, I would wager a large sum that you would have a seizure (probably multiple seizures) if you went CT off that much Xanax. Rather than asking these questions on an anonymous Internet forum and winging it, you need to be slowly detoxed under a physician's supervision using diazepam or another long half-life benzo.

Using alcohol to help detox off benzos is the worst idea I've heard in a while. Benzos and alcohol are cross-tolerant, so 1. you're probably not going to feel anything from the alcohol and 2. you're going to end up detoxing off both simultaneously and guaranteed seizures. I speak from experience on that.

Go to a doctor.

Last edited:
I completely agree with aihfl^ . I have read reports of people that tried to use EtOH with a taper and would wake up in sheer terror in the mornings or wake up on the ground with a nasty bump on the head and a gash in their tongue from biting it while seizing. Usually with follow up seizures not long after. Ethanol is just too unpredictable and sloppy as compared to a long acting benzo. Something short acting like Etizolam would be better than EtOH, though far from ideal. Even those that tried the phenytoin route suffered far more than they needed to when most professionals will be of assistance.

I highly recommend seeking help from an emergency dept or A&E, they are usually more approachable regarding the problem than you might think.

A practical approach to benzodiazepine discontinuation.

Protracted withdrawal syndromes from benzodiazepines.

The author concludes that clonazepam may have a role in withdrawal from high-dose alprazolam dependence.

The Ashton Manual is also a good resource as well and provides extended taper schedules for coming off all benzodiazepines using diazepam. But just because you have access to this information doesn't mean you shouldn't seek a physician's help.

Jekyl Anhydride said:
I have read reports of people that tried to use EtOH with a taper and would wake up in sheer terror in the mornings or wake up on the ground with a nasty bump on the head and a gash in their tongue from biting it while seizing.

Been there, done that. Woke up one morning having chewed the hell out of the inside of my lower lip. Only explanation can be a seizure while blacked out. Also cuts and bruises too numerous to mention, with zero recollection of how they got there. I can't emphasize it enough: go see a doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.