• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Gabapentin (Non-User Wife Prescribed - I Am Worried About Her Dependance And/Or WDs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil'LinaptkSix

Moderator: H&R, TL
Staff member
Just got back from her doc and he gave her 60x300mg gabapentin (1 - 3 times a day) for sciatica... which kinda worries me a bit as she is not a user of any toxin. Although I am quite accustomed in WDs from many a substance to the point of becoming inure: I would absolutely hate to see my wife experience something she didn't see coming and has never experienced.
My question is: Can anyone tell me how long and at what dosage it will take before dependence could become a factor?
The variables are as numerous as the stars; I know. Just looking for anyone that may have some knowledge of a dose/dependence "time-line" if you will.
Been reading and will continue to read but my aged eyes can only take so much and my spun mind can only process so many contradicting write-ups.
Thanks family
One

I'm in the same boat as your wife . I just got 90 gabapentin and the dr told me they would be fine for about 30days . I took soma last year for 6 months with just minor sleep problems after discontinued. Soma is similar to gabapentin, but even more addictive. I did feel a little unmotivated for a few days after discontinuing also. If she's in pain then she should take if it will help. No need in suffering. By all means, at least let her give them a try . If she's no addict now then she will probably be ok.

Last edited:
^^ I agree. If she's in pain then let her use it and don't make her feel like it's a bad thing.(not saying you would, but many people avoid taking medication if their spouse makes them feel bad).

To try to answer you, to begin with, she won't need that dose initially. I took 1/3rd that dose and it was almost too much for me. I was initially taking it for around 4 months when I stopped because I didn't think it was helping. I never thought of withdrawal symptoms and didn't have any.

I went on the extended release version called Gralise years later at 300 mgs after dinner. Two years later my doctor upped it to 600 mgs. I don't feel withdrawal if I don't take it. I've gone several days and all I noticed was more nerve pain.

I think the important part is to take the right dosage for her size and the fact that she's not accustomed to it, and never take huge amounts like 1,000 mgs.

For me and others who take low dosages every day it really isn't a problem. Since she doesn't sound like she's an abuser of meds I doubt she'll take the quantities that abusers take, which is why they have withdrawal symptoms.

It's a great medicine for several physical problems so try not to worry.

FYI...always Google around to see how new medicine works, possible side effects and watch for allergies, negative effects and possibly finding it doesn't work at all. I used to read forums or threads when I was put on a new medicine to see what other people said.

Thanks for the informed information derived from experience.
Although I've had no personal experience with the substance there has been many posts here and elsewhere that made the red light start blinking. And yes: There seems to be a huge difference between users and abusers when it comes to dependence, addiction and WDs. Thank you for bringing that back to the surface of all the BS that constantly swirls about within this gourd. :)
Kratom (@ < .7gr - any more and she gets sick) helps her at night when she feels the discomfort coming on. Which gives me something else to consider: Kratom and gabapentin interaction? lol maybe just over thinking the whole thing but my goal is to make the rest of her life as comfortable and full as possible. I absolutely love the occasional cocktail but from experience; some cannot take it and next thing you know they're gone.
Trust me: When it comes to her, research on health hazards I take as top priority... sadly, not so vigilant re: my own health. Hell, I'm super-man... I will get my kryptonite one day. Portent: I installed Kodi Krypton recently and just put two and 12 together. LOL
Shes retired
110lbs
Mainly sedintary
In general good shape physically, mentally and emotionally.
Been together 23 years and look for 100 more. :) Love her more today than the day we met.

Edit: My main concern was the dosage recommended by doc. We will experiment with lower doses and if needed increase until she is satisfied. She took 1 around 1 o'clock and is feeling kinda loopy and unstable 7 hours later.

Edit 2: Just thought about it... I still have that tub of phenibut stowed away... these (phenibut & gabapentin) are similar, no? nevermind found threads... thx
1: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/525773-Phenibut-vs-Gabapentin

Last edited:
300 mg is a pretty light dose. If she is new to gabapentin, there may be some side effects to the medication, like the loopiness of which you speek.

Many a abuser wishes they could get off on 300 mg of gabapentin. Unless the doctor said PRN, then the drug is meant to be taken as perscribed.
The side effectes will go away with continued usage.

300 mg gabapentin is approxamently 50 mg of Lyrica.

As far as withdrawals go, you simply taper the dosage back slowly. These are not benzodiazepines. To the most sensitive person, withdrawal may stink a little bit, if done correctly, but not a big deal.

I understand your concern, but if used correctly, you should have no issues. If any issues arise, contact the physician who perscribed them.

Great feedback, all.
Sincere appreciation for the input as the interwebs can be a bit contradictory at times on everything: Would much rather pose these questions to users/abusers as myself as like the OCs; docs pushed them with the assurance that dependence wasn't an issue.
Much love and respect.
One

We study this for fun. Any dependence liability is low, is based on length of time used and amount used. If your wife takes them as perscribed, you should have no issue theoretically.

I would reccomend not going into a new medicine like this pre worrying about it. That will definately take away from its theraputic value.

We study this for fun.
:sus: Definitely not boring subject matter, IME.
I would reccomend not going into a new medicine like this pre worrying about it. That will definately take away from its theraputic value.
Totally get this and agree.
But I do worry for her well-being and health. Just do not want to see her in agony from something that is to help her. We all know that big pharm would love to get us all dependent on their products to increase profit margins.
She despises drugs and most that abuse them: Do not know why it is different for me as I have been using/abusing way before we met and am the same person to this day, albeit maybe more of a "responsible" addict since we came together.
They also give her a bunch of hydro 10s that she refuses to take as she is very sensitive to opiates and gets sick at any therapeutic dosage (therefor the kratom occasionally). These usually sit for months or until she asks me to get rid of them (which has never been an issue).
After a couple days she has decided to take one in the eve until she builds a tolerance: Doesn't like feeling dizzy/loopy/unbalanced all day.
Thanks again and all be blessed.

Gabapentin has a very low potential for abuse and addiction. Large doses (we're talking several grams per day for extended periods of time) are probably going to lead to a certain degree of physiological dependence, but tapering off should be relatively easy as there is little to no recreational effect that would lead to the formation of a psychological dependence.

Indeed, I'd go as far as to say that kratom is arguably far more addictive than gabapentin.

I would agree with your assessment. After watching an older sister end up in the hospital everytime she tried to quit kratom I wouldn't touch it unless it was the only medicine left on Earth.

I tried kratom about 5 or 6 years ago but couldn't deal with the taste or nausea so I threw it away.(only tried it for a week and it just made me feel bad)

Gabapentin and Lyrica work very well if the dosage isn't in the abuse zone. My problem is that I feel doctors prescribe too high of a dose to start with. Three hundred mgs 3x a day is too much for a naive user and can make them quit taking it because of side effects and feeling loopy all day. I always ignored my doctor and took smaller dosages until I was put on the ER version of gabapentin. I was on 300 mgs a day for 2 years before my doctor increased it to 600 mgs. It's one pill in the evening after eating. I was tired and a little loopy in the beginning but it's a side effect that goes away.

I hate to see people rejecting a medicine that works well because they read horror stories about it. 99% of the time the horror stories come from people who are taking 2,000 mgs a day or more.

:sus: Definitely not boring subject matter, IME.

Totally get this and agree.
But I do worry for her well-being and health. Just do not want to see her in agony from something that is to help her. We all know that big pharm would love to get us all dependent on their products to increase profit margins.
She despises drugs and most that abuse them: Do not know why it is different for me as I have been using/abusing way before we met and am the same person to this day, albeit maybe more of a "responsible" addict since we came together.
They also give her a bunch of hydro 10s that she refuses to take as she is very sensitive to opiates and gets sick at any therapeutic dosage (therefor the kratom occasionally). These usually sit for months or until she asks me to get rid of them (which has never been an issue).
After a couple days she has decided to take one in the eve until she builds a tolerance: Doesn't like feeling dizzy/loopy/unbalanced all day.
Thanks again and all be blessed.

Whether or not we decide to do about medication, "big pharma" will be there. They are not going anywhere.

Gabapentin is pretty low on the totem poll as far as abuse goes. If your wife gets sick from certain medications, they have medicine to prevent that also.

The gold standard for nausea is called Zofran/Ondansetron.

This thread has gone off topic in refrence to the gabapentin. I suggest you and your wife consult your physician for a plan of action regarding your wifes care.

Thank you for the blessing :)

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.