• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Question regarding Fentanyl patches

Archeun1981

Greenlighter
Good afternoon everyone. I am a chronic pain patient. I've had multiple spinal surgeries. For the past 3 years, I have been on a stable dose of Oxycontin/Oxycodone which has stayed the same basically with the exception of a 40Mg total change overall. My dose has never been over 120Mg. I take my prescribed doses and I do not take more or less during the day.

I recently switched to a Fentanyl patch. I do not feel good on the patches (which are Mylan Matrix patches). They make me feel very fuzzy and numb. This is something I've never felt while taking Oxycodone. It's very unpleasant. Before I switched to Fentanyl, I had noticed I was having issues with large increases in pain and I've attributed that to simple Opioid tolerance.

My questions are this:

1. Is there any reliable and legal way to decrease tolerance besides cessation of Opioids? I currently take Magnesium and L-Tryptophan.

2. Is there any way to remove the unpleasant side effect of the Fentanyl patch and has anyone experienced this before? Will it go away soon?

3. Is there a better alternative to Fentanyl and Oxycodone in terms of analgesic effect on pain? I've researched Hydromorphone and Oxymorphone. Does anyone have any experience with these in terms of pain management?

I would greatly appreciate any input that people can give me.

Thank you for your time.

Tolerance can be decreased but it's easier to cut your tolerance and use NMDA antagonists to prevent tolerance from building, or at least slow it down. Opioid Antagonists and inverse agonists dosed in very small amounts, also known as ULDN (ultra low dose naltrexone) can increase the anti-nociceptive effects of your existing pain meds.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7479836 ~Ultra-low concentrations of naloxone selectively antagonize excitatory effects of morphine on sensory neurons, thereby increasing its antinociceptive potency and attenuating tolerance/dependence during chronic cotreatment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8947924 ~Modulatory effects of Gs-coupled excitatory opioid receptor functions on opioid analgesia, tolerance, and dependence.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22920535 ~Direct association of Mu-opioid and NMDA glutamate receptors supports their cross-regulation: molecular implications for opioid tolerance.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19630721 ~Do pharmacological approaches that prevent opioid tolerance target different elements in the same regulatory machinery?

~-NMDA-antagonists-for-tolerance-a-collection-of-the-evidence-and-anecdotal-reports

~Is-it-possible-to-reverse-opioid-tolerance

~/why-some-patients-require-high-dose-opioid-therapy

Fentanyl has a different structure from the 1-Benzylisoquinoline backbone classics like morphine or oxy and therefore less euphoria, warm blanket feeling or otherwise just a familiar opiate feeling. I don't know of any methods that would change this as Fent is very potent but not always as "friendly".

Hopefully you can rotate back to Oxycodone or try Hydromorphone which is powerful but shorter acting than some other classic pain meds. Oxymorphone is one of the best out there in my opinion.

You can use our search engine or Google with your search term and site:Bluelight.org to cover everything regarding others experiences with Hydromorphone and Oxymorphone.

Welcome to BL Archeun :)

I honestly disliked Fentanyl and I'm glad I was only on it 3 months. It never gave a steady stream of medicine and by the 55th hour or so I was in withdrawal and feeling crappy but I couldn't change them for 72 hours.

If you can switch to Opana (oxymorphone) you will be amazed. Hydromorphone did nothing for me and left me in pain, but oxymorphone is a wonderful pain reliever at the correct dose. Hopefully it might be an option for you because I remember thinking that I finally was put on something that worked.

I was on the matrix mylan patches for about a year for spinal pain. It sounds like your dose is just stronger relative to the oxy dose you were on. You should adjust to them after a while.

Dxm (100 mg) is about 1.5 hours before you want potentiation works best..but be wary as doctors drug test for it (even though it's legal otc) and you could lose your script....I don't know if this actually helps pain, it definitely bboosts the euphoria of opioids though.

I do not like Fentanyl at all. Not for pain management or recreation. I always found morphine to be the best pain reliever in my opinion.