• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

oxymorphone 20mg to substitute for hydrocodone

Jpurser3

Greenlighter
Please help - oxymorphone 20mg to substitute for hydrocodone

Hello, I am prescribed 30mg day hydrocodone but I ran out a couple days early and to avoid wd I ran into some oxymorphone extended release 20mg. I have a tolerance for about 20 - 30 mg of hydros and I am nervous to take the Oxymorphone 20mg, since it is extended release. Does anyone know if I will be okay subbing the oxymorphone for the hydros?

Thanks for any help! :)

Last edited:
Yes it will be perfectly safe to use oxymorphone to substitute for your hydrocodone. With your tolerance at 30mg a day you might just want to start by splitting the pill into quarters and taking 1/4 of the pill by mouth. If that doesn't do enough for you then up it to 10mg but with your tolerance you definitely shouldn't need to go higher then that.

I don't have any direct experience with oxymorphone but i have taken plenty of hydrocodone and when i did a dose calculation the oxy was apparently 3x stronger then the hydro mg for mg.

Hi thanks for your reply. What about the Extended release gel coating? Doesn't that make it unsafe to break up? PS I only take orally. Never insufflate.

Thanks again!

Well i think the conversion was assuming it was and instant release formula. You should be perfectly fine whether or not splitting the pill breaks the extended release formula.

Are yours the generics? If so, the coating comes off relatively easy. The general rule of thumb is usually oxy is 1.5 the strength of hydros and oxymorphone is about 2x as strong as oxy. I hope that helps you somewhat. Good luck!