• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How much has your life improved?

Mafioso

Bluelight Crew
I see a lot of people posting shit on social media platforms, like Instagram, pictures of "not sober" and "sober". Usually the picture of them intoxicated is a shitty candid picture to begin with, and their "new sober me" picture is professionally shot, all smiles running through flowers type bs. I can't help but get the impression that the message they are trying to send is something along the lines of "drugs were my only problem and since getting clean life is amazing."

It all just seems to fake, disingenuous and nothing like my experience with recovery has been. Part of me believes that these types of people, assuming their honesty, were not really all that bad to begin with. I don't doubt that they had a substance use disorder, but I would question how severe the addiction was if there was not severe biopsychosocial implications on the individuals life. Maybe there really are some, but the majority of people dealing with substance use disorders are also dealing with other disorders, such as depressive disorders, anxiety disorders, past and current trauma, and so on.

I guess what bugs me the most is people identifying themselves as an addict, but not talking about any of the struggle. I admire people like Brandon Novak and Steve-O who have been able to address their disease without minimizing it. Brandon Novak publicly talks about some pretty dark stuff and makes no attempt to cover up how bad things had become.

By many measures, my life hasn't improved at all. By some, it could even be said that things have gotten worse. I am less social and have less friends. I make less money and was in a better financial place while still using. I am less motivated now and having to relearn how to motivate myself without drugs. I am having to learn how to cope with simple things like social anxiety without drugs. It isn't easy. My life is definitely less chaotic, but it is far from all smiles. I am in a more stable place now, and more likely to sustain any success, but I wouldn't say I am more successful yet. I still have trouble sleeping- more so now, in fact my nightmares have come back. I wake up nearly every morning in a near panic state usually drenched in sweat... It takes at least 15-30 minutes to calm myself, something that has been notably harder since not using. My memory has drastically improved and lot of the anxiety and nervousness has dissipated. The depression has been harder to address for me though.

I know not everyone paints a fake picture, and am hoping to build some honest and open dialog for those that want it. Complain about things that aren't going right. Talk about struggles and difficuties. I think embracing the struggle is just as important as embracing success. To struggle is not to fail and the two should not be equated with each other, instead the opposite. No success has ever been achieved without sufficient prior struggle. If youre not struggling, what are you really doing..? Doesn't take much to fake a smile for a instagram.

Ah yes the fake picture :(

I've known some people who have jumped on the mental health band wagon and posting up crap on Facebook like "I'm so greatful for blah blah since my discovery etc..It's time to open up about mental health." In the mean time I am going to myself I've been getting help the last 20 years cause I have an issue and have been on meds the last 9 years and you're just milking it for some social trend without a proper diagnosis. It's not good but I guess everyone wants a sense of belonging.

I am currently in sobriety. It is a pain in the butt but am giving this a longer go this time around, am almost 6 weeks in. Unfortunately my energy is still out of whack and I'm still depressed and anxious as I was before I became addicted to booze etc...

The highlight of my sobriety is waking up in the morning going to myself thank fuck I didn't drink and go out last night because I could not be bothered dealing with the headache in the morning. Not so much the hangover but driving drunk, gambling, being more motivated to then take cocaine, increasing my want to commit suicide etc.

Will contribute more later.

I would say the people who post those sorts of pictures are addicts all the same, only what they want out of recovery is different (and something that I personally can't relate to). It seems like social acceptability is good enough for some, and their goal with those social media posts is to present a positive image so everyone can look at them favorably.

Recovery takes a lot of time, effort and work -- co-opting some happy, grateful image for others' sake doesn't fly with me. My life has improved immensely since entering recovery, but in a way that's not easy to see, even for myself sometimes. I don't measure success by any of the stuff on the outside - social accolades, material possessions, job/career movement, etc. You can have all these things and still feel stressed and miserable. The changes you see inside yourself are what matters, and that shit isn't popular or cool.

I know a lot of people in recovery, but very few do I feel that I can talk to about anything real. I can be loving and supportive for a lot of people, but the extent to which I offer myself is based on what I see them doing in their recovery. I have a low tolerance for bullshitters, and unfortunately there's a lot more of those than people who are willing to struggle and suffer to make it to the other side.

"Share with me your experience, but don't bother telling me any of that happy bullshit," is almost as bad as saying, "share with me your experience, but don't tell me any of the depressing blight that you lived." A person's experience whether real or imagined is their experience. If I can't handle the way someone shares their experience why am I trying to handle it? It is their burden to bare. "I can't handle how FAKE these instagram people are!" Stop attaching to it...or don't. Lot's of people walking around carrying the perceived burden of others. I used to walk around resenting people who had "it", or faked like they had "it", or believed they had "it". It is only because I desperately wanted "it" but could not see the distance or path from point A to B. Social media is some serious Johari window case study in real time. Haven't had a bad day in 5 years 10 months and 16 days. Do whatever you want with that.

OP, I share your frustrations. And honestly, I'm not sure my life is better than it was when I was using (it's been about 18 months since the last time I was a habitual heroin user...I've had a couple small lapses since then but have been mostly "clean".)

Honestly, I miss dope every day.

BUT, even if my life doesn't feel better now, I will admit that it is way less stressful than it was when I was using. I don't worry about going to jail, OD'ing, getting abscesses or hep-c, running out of money... shit like that. Most of all, I don't have to lie to friends and family.

So far, these improvements have been enough to keep me motivated in my recovery. But I'm the first to admit that on a day-to-day basis, it's been hard to find joy or meaning in life since I quit drugs. Admittedly, I didn't feel much joy or meaning when I was strung out...but the drugs gave me a sense of identity, security and authenticity (i.e. it felt very natural to me to be addicted to heroin) that I never had before dope or, so far, after it.

In some ways life has improved greatly, in others it's much worse. I don't really have a social life anymore, mainly because I avoid anything that could trigger a relapse.

On the other hand, I don't wake up in random places wondering how I got there anymore, I don't have week long lapses in memory, and I'm not driving around with a gun because my dealer is an hour late.

In some ways life has improved greatly, in others it's much worse. I don't really have a social life anymore, mainly because I avoid anything that could trigger a relapse.

I can relate to this. I have tried getting people who I thought were friends to meet and do something other than drinking for a social activity but it just doesn't seem to work. On the occasions I have seen them when sober I am asking myself what am I doing here? The conversation is very boring and the only way this will work is if we're on the piss or on drugs.

I consider real friends to be those who see past a substance like my old best friend who I haven't had a drink with since 13 years ago.

I was recently released from prison after 58 months, and was in there for stupid things I was doing while living the lifestyle I was living then. I was on probation for burglary for taking a bicycle off a balcony when one night in October of 2013 I was driving around with a couple girls taking donated clothes from clothing donation bins, unfortunately there was a tracking device placed in one of the bags of clothes by unhappy donation bin owner and I was tracked all the way to my house and given another burglary charge, which made me a repeat offender as I was on probation for burglary. 6 year sentence with 3 year probation tail. I thought stealing a candy bar from a gas station was worse! It's over and done with now, I've been out 35 days and living in a different part of the valley with my mom and sister in a very good environment. I don't think much about doing anything illegal anymore. Sure, I'm reminded of the life I used to live every single day one way or another, and of course there are times when I think back to how electrifying, wild, crazy, and all those things that seem so exciting about that lifestyle when you look back on it. But when I think back I also try to think as much about the horrible, terrible, ugly, nasty, scary times that go along hand in hand with all the good.
I'm into working out now, trying to get a job, and taking a 'been there, done that' outlook on the wild life I used to live. I'm also trying to get involved in crisis intervention and peer counseling too. I feel like my life experiences could affect positive change on someone who is on the road I was before.

I was recently released from prison after 58 months, and was in there for stupid things I was doing while living the lifestyle I was living then. I was on probation for burglary for taking a bicycle off a balcony when one night in October of 2013 I was driving around with a couple girls taking donated clothes from clothing donation bins, unfortunately there was a tracking device placed in one of the bags of clothes by unhappy donation bin owner and I was tracked all the way to my house and given another burglary charge, which made me a repeat offender as I was on probation for burglary. 6 year sentence with 3 year probation tail. I thought stealing a candy bar from a gas station was worse! It's over and done with now, I've been out 35 days and living in a different part of the valley with my mom and sister in a very good environment. I don't think much about doing anything illegal anymore. Sure, I'm reminded of the life I used to live every single day one way or another, and of course there are times when I think back to how electrifying, wild, crazy, and all those things that seem so exciting about that lifestyle when you look back on it. But when I think back I also try to think as much about the horrible, terrible, ugly, nasty, scary times that go along hand in hand with all the good.
I'm into working out now, trying to get a job, and taking a 'been there, done that' outlook on the wild life I used to live. I'm also trying to get involved in crisis intervention and peer counseling too. I feel like my life experiences could affect positive change on someone who is on the road I was before.

I agree, with the high comes the mega low that you never knew existed on a personal level. It's not much fun getting into that cycle.

Im about 2 maybe 3months clean and my life has improved drastically..i was a slave to opites mainly the doctor prescribed type of opites..and a mild xanax habbit.

This is my second time getting clean and luckily for me (im not bragging) ive only had to deal with the phiscal withdrawls..i did have some psychological withdrawls the first 2-3 weeks but i soon came over it..

I have ran across a few 30mg roxys the other day that i forgot i had stashed away and without even taking a second to think,i flushed them down the toilet..later on that day i was pissed because i could of sold them for $120 but oh well..

Everyone deals with it different..

Truthfully my life has never been horrible and my addiction to alcohol was never that atrocious. I just do a lot of whining.
My life has improved since I began my journey to quit drinking though.
But there were many times during these past 3 years where quitting didnt seem to make sense, for a lot of the reason you mentioned.

6 months sober now (my longest stint since actively trying to quit) and things still arent "I should post this picture" worthy.
Im struggling to learn how to live without alcohol, perhaps because I forgot or had never truly learned (having also been in a codependent relationship for 10 years, since moving out of my parents really). As much of a struggle as it can be some days I often find myself saying "atleast Im not drinking" or "well that woulda been worse hungover".

I came across an interesting and apt quote today
"calm seas never made a skillful sailor"
Hang in there - eventually the seas shall calm or youll learn to navigate rough waters

"Share with me your experience, but don't bother telling me any of that happy bullshit," is almost as bad as saying, "share with me your experience, but don't tell me any of the depressing blight that you lived." A person's experience whether real or imagined is their experience. If I can't handle the way someone shares their experience why am I trying to handle it? It is their burden to bare. "I can't handle how FAKE these instagram people are!" Stop attaching to it...or don't. Lot's of people walking around carrying the perceived burden of others. I used to walk around resenting people who had "it", or faked like they had "it", or believed they had "it". It is only because I desperately wanted "it" but could not see the distance or path from point A to B. Social media is some serious Johari window case study in real time. Haven't had a bad day in 5 years 10 months and 16 days. Do whatever you want with that.

While I'll agree with the first sentiment of your post, and can accept that I was in a negative mindset while writing this post... I don't for a second buy that you, or anyone hasn't had a bad day in 6 months- let alone 5 years 10 months and 16 days. The fact that you have an exact count makes it even less believable and more comical. Either you aren't being honest with yourself or you aren't really trying.. or maybe you have a very loose and extreme definition of what would constitute a bad day.

Spending less time on social media isn't a bad idea, but just ignoring and avoiding what I have trouble dealing with isn't a solution. I still encounter these people in real life, and in mediums where people are being genuine like in this very instance. My issues with this false positivity isn't even entirely a personal one. Part of what bothers me about saying like "my worst day sober is better than my best day using" and "havent' had a bad day since I got sober" is that it's not honest. I had some great times high, and some really shitty days sober. There are so many forces outside of my control that will affect my day and mood that has nothing to do with sobriety. If I found out my brother or family/friend died, that would be a shitty day, probably a shitty month and even year+. it's not all smiles, and that's ok.

I would say the people who post those sorts of pictures are addicts all the same, only what they want out of recovery is different (and something that I personally can't relate to). It seems like social acceptability is good enough for some, and their goal with those social media posts is to present a positive image so everyone can look at them favorably.

Recovery takes a lot of time, effort and work -- co-opting some happy, grateful image for others' sake doesn't fly with me. My life has improved immensely since entering recovery, but in a way that's not easy to see, even for myself sometimes. I don't measure success by any of the stuff on the outside - social accolades, material possessions, job/career movement, etc. You can have all these things and still feel stressed and miserable. The changes you see inside yourself are what matters, and that shit isn't popular or cool.

I know a lot of people in recovery, but very few do I feel that I can talk to about anything real. I can be loving and supportive for a lot of people, but the extent to which I offer myself is based on what I see them doing in their recovery. I have a low tolerance for bullshitters, and unfortunately there's a lot more of those than people who are willing to struggle and suffer to make it to the other side.

Valid points here... My life has improved quite a bit as compared to when I was actively and heavily using drugs. It just hasn't improved as much as I'd like and as much as I had pictured, which I'm working on accepting. I suppose when I look back, a lot of the changes have been in the way I think and behave. But at the same time, a lot of the struggles are the same. Like yeah, I'm not taking huge risks selling drugs anymore but money is and always will be an issue.

Idk exactly what it is, but I know for me it is hard to be honest and open about things I am struggling with. There is a fear that people will think it's a sign that I am not working hard enough or maybe even that I'm too far gone. There is also a feeling like I am just complaining by talking about my problems.

I appreciate the encouragement, CH. I'm not giving up, but the urges are slowly creeping back recently.

I don't blame you, it can be hard.

I know I'd rather be poor than go through heroin/bupe withdrawal again. It's too much and it makes me seriously unstable/unbalanced.

Just keep believing in yourself, make the small positive changes every day that you can do, and things will improve.

There is also a feeling like I am just complaining by talking about my problems.

I can definitely relate with this; I rarely talk about my addiction/PTSD problems IRL; people have little empathy for me and it makes me feel like a burden to others.

It's good to talk it out, we're here to listen :)

OP, I share your frustrations. And honestly, I'm not sure my life is better than it was when I was using (it's been about 18 months since the last time I was a habitual heroin user...I've had a couple small lapses since then but have been mostly "clean".)

Honestly, I miss dope every day.

BUT, even if my life doesn't feel better now, I will admit that it is way less stressful than it was when I was using. I don't worry about going to jail, OD'ing, getting abscesses or hep-c, running out of money... shit like that. Most of all, I don't have to lie to friends and family.

So far, these improvements have been enough to keep me motivated in my recovery. But I'm the first to admit that on a day-to-day basis, it's been hard to find joy or meaning in life since I quit drugs. Admittedly, I didn't feel much joy or meaning when I was strung out...but the drugs gave me a sense of identity, security and authenticity (i.e. it felt very natural to me to be addicted to heroin) that I never had before dope or, so far, after it.

Thanks for the honest and open response. I can completely relate. It's not that my life is way better than before, but it's definitely more stable and far less problematic than before. I can recognize that much has changed. But there is definitely far less excitement, and like you mention sense of identinty, security and authenticity. All those things came from years of using drugs and feeling like I had found my place. I had accepted my role in society and was going to fulfil it. A lot of that was ripped away and hasn't really been replaced yet. Some things take years to really put back together I think. I can find and build a new identity, but it will take time, that much has become apparent.

On the other hand, I don't wake up in random places wondering how I got there anymore, I don't have week long lapses in memory, and I'm not driving around with a gun because my dealer is an hour late.

Entirely. Less excitement, but less problematic as well. Overall probably more productive just due to being less destructive mainly.

I don't blame you, it can be hard.

I know I'd rather be poor than go through heroin/bupe withdrawal again. It's too much and it makes me seriously unstable/unbalanced.

Just keep believing in yourself, make the small positive changes every day that you can do, and things will improve.

I can definitely relate with this; I rarely talk about my addiction/PTSD problems IRL; people have little empathy for me and it makes me feel like a burden to others.

It's good to talk it out, we're here to listen :)

Yeah been thinking a lot about going on methadone even since I had literally 1/4 of a teaspoon of some. Wasn't even enough to get high but I noticed I was in a very good mood and just seemed to appreciate life much. But reading about methadone WDs.. it just doesn't seem worth it.

Think it's time to give up weed again completely. It initially helped with some symptoms of my PTSD but I think it's overall making things worse. It's funny to me that I've gone through some of the worst polydrug WDs possible short of dying, yet it's so hard for me to quit smoking weed.

That's awesome man, on a bit of a similar journey myself. It's definitely a struggle letting go of past lifestyles. I find myself getting lost in memories from time to time still, and I haven't been up to anything illegal for over a year now. It's been difficult to accept that I will be working 8 hour shifts to make what I have made in a few hours just hanging out. But rathe than look at what could have been I am trying to look at what could be.

I definitely think that with some training your experiences could help a lot of people. Not a lot of people are able or willing to work with people who are struggling in their life. But there is definitely need.