• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Quitting oxycodone

zagor11

Bluelighter
Has anyone been in a situation where they had to quit opiates but at the same time having severe depression and anxiety which, when you try to taper ofnarcotic, depression hits the roof? That;s my issue and depite 2 antidepressants and 2 antianxiety meds, when I try to taper my oxycodone depression comes so hard?

Yep, that's all part of these wonderful fucking pills we are so easily addicted to. I could never taper, mainly because of the long drawn out withdrawal process involved. I always had an easier time ripping the bandaid off quickly.

A lot could have to do with the speed that you're cutting your dose to. What is your current dose? And how much are you cutting it before the anxiety and depression kick in?

^ this was me as well, I tried to taper several times, there was no way I could do it. In the end I quit cold turkey, felt like hell for about a week or so, then pretty down for a week or so and I started feeling better.

I was able to taper down from ~500mg oxycodone a day within six months but it was supervised by a Dr. and I had to get my drugs once in a week from pharmacy and they were given to me in an automatic dosing machine that gave out drugs twice a day.

It worked quite well until I hit zero and I had huge anxiety and depression and couldn't take it anymore and decided to give Suboxone a go and I truly needed that at the time.

I stayed on the Suboxone for a year while working with my issues and dealing with the reasons that lead me to use. Then I was switched back to oxycodone for pain issues for six months and as I didn't have pain anymore I decided to try to quit oxycodone instead of switching back to Suboxone.

Did a rapid taper within a week in detox facility and it went really smooth and I haven't been using opiates for six months now and I haven't even craved for them.

I would think most people who quit opiates experience depression and a lot of anxiety, I for sure did. There is nothing fun about it but may be something you have to stay vigilant with and push through.

I was never the type to taper off drugs, tapering would give me even more anxiety and I had nothing but anxiety when quitting opiates and benzo's. Those were the drugs I took to calm my anxiety so without them I felt even more incredibly lost. I used cannabis (mainly indica types) at the beginning and quite heavily too which helped me personally. I don't recommend switching from one addiction to another though, but it made things more tolerable for me.

Another thing I did was try to change my diet up by researching foods that have natural calming effects in them. By forcing myself to eat more healthy, my depression was instantly curbed a bit and made the process of quitting opiates more tolerable.

PM me if you want to talk about it or need any tips regarding diet. Wish you the best of luck!

I am in same boat. I am supposed to be taking 20 mg a day but of course run out early I take anywhere from 25 mg to 50 mg a day and go through wd until it's time for my next appt. I've been off and on oxycodone for 9 years. Anxiety horrible. I am also prescribed adderall daily seems to help some with the wd. Enough is enough. I know it doesn't seem like a lot but I have wd the same from when I was on higher doses and lower maybe it's in my head maybe not. The past few days I have dropped mg day before yesterday 20 mg yesterday only taking 10mg today only 5 and tomorrow nothing. Already feeling it yesterday wad kinda bad upset stomach cold sweats hot flashes insomnia anxiety woke up a lot with anxiety. It's not horrible but it doesn't feel great either. Same with today. Wondering how much worse it's going to get. I don't have the luxury of laying around while sick I have kids so I am up trying my best as just because I put myself through this I will not let my babies see it and feel like they're not getting enough attention or that I am impatient. Same with my husband he works 70 hours a week and I still try to clean and do my best. Wish he was more supportive told him this time I'm done and anytime I tell him how I'm feeling he says I don't wanna hear it or talking about how the house looks even though it's just toys. I clean the kitchen no dishes or anything it's just toys. But when I am feeling good the house is spotless. It just bothers me bc I try and push myself

Unicorn, I'm 6 days in on methadone Wd's. It peaked yesterday. I'm in my upper 30s and finally got mature enough to see the big picture . I don't know your age, but in my 20s I could not quit successfully. The mind has to mature sometimes to stop . Everyone is different. It could come in your 20s ,30s ,40s etc... ,but it will come . Just like smokers usually quit in their 30s or 40s . It just comes that time when the party has to end . I was on opiates for 20yrs . I've been mentally ready for a few years , but too scared . After 20 years of methadone I quit getting the good feelings and only got the bad ( body aches, sweats , tiredness). You can do this . Believe in yourself

Unicorn, I'm 6 days in on methadone Wd's. It peaked yesterday. I'm in my upper 30s and finally got mature enough to see the big picture . I don't know your age, but in my 20s I could not quit successfully. The mind has to mature sometimes to stop . Everyone is different. It could come in your 20s ,30s ,40s etc... ,but it will come . Just like smokers usually quit in their 30s or 40s . It just comes that time when the party has to end . I was on opiates for 20yrs . I've been mentally ready for a few years , but too scared . After 20 years of methadone I quit getting the good feelings and only got the bad ( body aches, sweats , tiredness). You can do this . Believe in yourself

Thank you. I will be 30 next year. My entire family is addicts my mom still struggling big time and it destroyed our family. I don't want that to be me and I tried to justify my use because I was prescribed it. Wrong. I knew i had a problem as I have had one for nearly 10 years off and on. I can't deal with it anymore I'm tired of only feeling good when i have them and not being able to function when I don't. I am just scared of the WD as I stay at home with my kids and I am scared of something happening to me. That's my anxiety talking. I kick myself everytime for taking them all then wd then running right back to the Dr when it's time to go. Not this time I am done. I told my husband I am done I just wish he'd be more supportive and uplifting instead of saying he doesn't want to hear it. He's never done pills or anything besides smoking weed and drinking the occasional drink. He doesn't understand the hold it can have on you or the sickness that comes with it he says I need to get over it and it's all in my head . And I can do this i know I can it's just the me thinking something is going to happen to me is what scares me. Even though I've been through this a thousand times everytime someone tells me something different and says I could die or have seizure and I start getting worried .

It's hard, believe me , I know . See if you can get some comfort meds from your dr and tell him that you want to try to stop the oxy . The clonidine and gabapentin are life savers for rest and some relaxation. My dr gave me some tramadol too , but I'm scared shitless of getting hooked on those , but they help with the other two I mentioned above. The tramadol is a weaker opioid like drug that is also habit forming so be careful if you try those . Just be lucky the oxy WD's are quicker than methadone. I'm on day six and still sticky with sweat and legs cramping, but mentally better . Hang in there . Maybe try quitting when you have some oxys that way you don't feel forced to quit , if you have the will powder . I just dumped my last 7 methadone this morning. I bawled crying when I did it. It was spiritual.

I've never done methadone wd but I have several friends who have and I have heard it is brutal and lasts a long time . I could get some oxy if I tried but I just wanna be done with it. For the first time I feel clear headed about it and not going back and forth with myself. I've loaded up on bananas Gatorade and bottle water and also easy foods to eat that are easy on the stomach and I also have a bottle of 800 mg ibuprofens to help the aches and pains. I will talk to my Dr when I go back as I am also prescribed adderall. I am sending you all the good vibes I can. It is comforting knowing others are going through this with me.

You're gonna need some downers . I know some people claim adderall will help , but its gonna vamp those WD'S to the max at the beginning. Valium or a long acting benzo along with clonidine to keep that heart calm . The clonidine will also help with the underarm sweats and runny nose. It suppresses the adrenal gland, which is part of what causes the irritability . Now after 3 or 4 days ,once your WD's are over the adderall may help with your dopamine levels. I did amphetamines once during WD's and it was horrible. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. If your in a state that won't give benzodiazepines with opiates your could try Soma ( which is similar to gabapentin). Maybe toothpaste dog will chime in . He's the local expert on withdrawals .

That would be amazing. When I was 20 withdrawals were bad but they seem to get worse as I get older and it's crazy because I was taking a way higher amount than I do now. Idk if it's in my mind or what. But any and all advice would be amazing. I can't go back to the Dr until the 26th they won't take you until your scheduled appt which sucks they stay slammed because they take insurance but are also income based and a lot of the drs are only there one or two days a week. My Dr is only there one day a week. And they won't prescribe benzos with opiates the only reason I am still on my adderall with pain meds is because my adderall is a very low dose but I've been on it since I was little I was on a higher dose but when I went back on pain meds they dropped my dose they said either I was without it or they were dropping the dose tremendously

I apogogizeto everyone who responded. My depression was so bad I couldn't go online. Today I got a shrink appoinment. One thing that I missed to mention in my original question is that I have pre-existing depression and anxiety. Now that I have been loaded with benzos and oxycodone, coming off of it makes my severe depression UNTOLERABLE.

Although I was on suboxone once and had to quit it due to worsening of my depression and anxiety, it was better comparing to how it is now. I know it it oxy that made my depression and anxiety worse. It is bupe that killed my high. I feel like I am hanging by a thread but will explore my options once I feel better and hear dr'sopinion. My reg. doctor would give me as much oxy as I want. Whats the poin when there is no high to kill depression.

BTW exercise is out ogquestion. My body is like 95 year old woman. I need to do something soon or Im gone to boot hill

BTW I have gabpentin. I take 8 mg klonopin a day plus ativan. I am fucked.

Anyone knows anything about ketamine? I might ask my new shrink today about it but people experiences are valuable.

Sorry about flooding but I though to go back to suboxone again. However it is harder to quit sub than oxy and withdrawals last longer I believe is that true?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just hang in there. If you don't want to go long term on suboxone then you could do a short taper on subs to lessen your WDs. You could try it and if it doesn't work then try a mid term suboxone taper . Have you tried SSRI's for depression? I'm dealing with withdrawal depression also . It's just part of the process . I would ask your psychiatrist about all options.

Just hang in there. If you don't want to go long term on suboxone then you could do a short taper on subs to lessen your WDs. You could try it and if it doesn't work then try a mid term suboxone taper . Have you tried SSRI's for depression? I'm dealing with withdrawal depression also . It's just part of the process . I would ask your psychiatrist about all options.

I am on lexapro. Changed a few AD lately. But oxycodone is worsening my depression yet won't let me wean off because my depression worsens if I try to reduce it. My shrink wants me to do ECT. I accepedit but have changed my mind now. Im scared of it. What are you withdrawing from?

With the amount of benzos you're taking, trying to come off them without medical supervision is dangerous. I agree with MrRoot, time in a detox facility is the safest way to go. The doctors there can also help sort out your symptoms and the appropriate medications for them. I think Lexapro is a good AD - I am on it's cousin Celexa and it's done me a world of good. I've never done ECT but I do know people who have had drug-resistant depression and it helped them immensely. It's not like the old days like you see in horror movies set in asylums.

I am on lexapro. Changed a few AD lately. But oxycodone is worsening my depression yet won't let me wean off because my depression worsens if I try to reduce it. My shrink wants me to do ECT. I accepedit but have changed my mind now. Im scared of it. What are you withdrawing from?
I'm wding off methadone.

I take 60 mg oxy every 4 hrs. So cold turkey is not possible. I was on suboxone andwhileI was on it depression and anxiety didn't improve much. After I switched back to oxy I never had high again. My opioid mu receptors are either still (after 7 months) blocked from sub or they are damaged.

However, I am still thinking to go to sub again. I know it is just prolonging my issue but it may relieve some depression and anxiety if I take lower doses than I did last time. Would like to stay short term on subif possible.

I don't go out of the house, heck even taking a shower is hard. Nothing seems to help. I refused ECT because I had an mrirecently and it showed posible MS. I want ketamine therapy but damn shrink says ECT first. I also got severe brain fog. My head is not clear. Zombie. Thank God I don't have suicide urges because I am a very good candidate for it.