Bluelight

Thread: Time to get Sober - Life Beyond Abstinence

1. Collapse Details
    Time to get Sober - Life Beyond Abstinence 
    Well I tried to go without a thread but sometimes I just need a place to vent and doing so in the Social seems like Im just whining

Ive been without a drink since sometime near the end of January.
    However I still partake in the occasional psychedelic adventure. And Ive been smoking pot like its going outta style.
    But what bothers me most is that Ive spent the last 6 months doing almost exactly what I did when I was drinking.
    So Id go as far as saying Im not sober.

I often wonder why the stagnation?
    I chalk it up to years of ingraining bad habits and perhaps due to poor nutrition and some sort of resulting imbalance.
    Or perhaps Im just lazy

Does anyone have any tips to get motivated after kicking their doc?

2. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    Non-Electronic Music Discussion
    I feel you, man.

One thing that's helped me (though I'm still largely in the boat you described) is rebuilding a bit of a social life. Being around good friends who make me laugh and who know I can do stuff besides drugs has helped me feel better about myself and has--at least most of the time--made drugs seem less compelling.

3. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    For me it was easier to quit the habit than starting to do something beneficial for me and my community.

Luckily when my ORT started two years ago I had to do some community service because of economic crimes I committed in 2007 so I had to atleast get up and do four hours of chores every other day so I had atleast some kind of organized time table.

I then started to socialize after getting used to meeting people again and luckily I met my fiancee too.

Now I try to keep occupied and have a stable daily rhythm and it seems to keep the cravings at bay. I still volunteer at the same place I did my community service.

Why not try out some new stuff or something that you liked before?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by simco View Post
    I feel you, man.

One thing that's helped me (though I'm still largely in the boat you described) is rebuilding a bit of a social life. Being around good friends who make me laugh and who know I can do stuff besides drugs has helped me feel better about myself and has--at least most of the time--made drugs seem less compelling.
    Its difficult for me to build a social life because I work a split shift and usually crash between 6-8.
    However, most of my friends are just getting in from work and doing dinner at this time. And they still drink. Which is fine. But I dont know how many times I said no thanks, I quit drinking before they stopped asking. Now I dont hear from them. Or if I do its "oh you should come by tonight, I should be home by 7" ... But by that time Im ready for bed. And then they get bitter and cant be bothered to find the time when Im actually around on a weekend (as Im usually off visiting family/out of town friends).

Ive joined some local groups on facebook though and Im hoping to meet some new friends there. Maybe even a lady friend. ha

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoot View Post
    For me it was easier to quit the habit than starting to do something beneficial for me and my community
    Why not try out some new stuff or something that you liked before?
    Yes I started working with a friend right around the end of my last binge in Jan. Since then business has increased >4x in those 6 months and is only limited by our inexperience in the business world (read hiring/training employees). Its a customer service based job though and talking to the clients, who were home, during the first few months was difficult. But its become much easier now as my depressive and anxious states fade and I see glimpses of my old, social, self.

Ive been intending to get back to yoga/meditation/exercise (even walking after work) but it hasnt happened.
    I have however started fishing, usually at least, weekly. There isnt much around for water other than a man made lake and some little rivers (tributaries) but Ive managed a few little fish anyways. Its more about getting out for a hike/some sun.

Today I joined the gym I clean for. Figured since Im there 5 days a week I have no excuse.
    Im hoping this will get the ball rolling on all the other aspects of life Id like to change. We will see

5. Collapse Details

So exhausted today.
    Despite 3 hrs of extra sleep last night and a short day at work today.
    Perhaps it was all the sunshine fishing this morning before? Perhaps its the months of short broken sleep? Perhaps its my shit diet and lack of exercise?

Either way I was in a mood by the time I was done fishing (which totally defeats the purpose) and work afterwards was bunk. Thankfully it was a short shift.

Then I get home to a msg from my ex telling me they wont arrive until Saturday around lunch, despite our normal meeting (to exchange our daughter) on Friday night.
    So that makes 3 weeks in a row my little time with her is reduced for one reason or another.

And suddenly my crap day turned shitty.
    I was angry and sad and and and ... ARGH

So I did the dishes.
    Now Im just sad and annoyed and tired. And I just need an escape.
    Im going to bed

6. Collapse Details

Well that was definitely an uncalled for freak out.
    I think its because im hangry all the time. My diet is embarassing, if I eat at all.
    Since quitting drinking and eating properly/"enough" (forget healthy for the time being) and any real physical exercise in January Ive lost close to 20 lbs.

Work was interesting tonight.
    The people I am usually cordial with were overtly friendly tonight and I ended up having actual conversations with a couple of them. In quick succession too.
    It was definitely challenging as far as my anxiety went and afterwards I really needed to ground myself to keep from flyin away.

But what is really making me anxious is the conversation that is to follow this morning.
    I am to meet with my business partner and I plan to renegotiate our agreement.
    Ive been getting the very short end of many sticks since joining, despite doing a disproportionate amount of work. And now that shes off for two weeks (at least) with surgery and Im working as many hours as possible, which will be shared between us, its time to talk about how we divide things (because originally they werent divided equally).

Back to bed for a few hours though.
    Wish me luck

7. Collapse Details

Mental Health

If nothing else, it's time. It's a game of out-waiting.