• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Anyone here have issues using luer-lock or slip-tip syringes?

RedHat

Bluelighter
I've been IVing for a decent amount of time now, and it took a while for me to get completely disciplined in doing so. In the beginning I would re-use needles, only cotton filter, use whatever gauge/length I could get my hands on. And I definitely regret being so cavalier when it came to my veins, but thankfully I now take it very seriously. I never re-use needles, I always use micron filters (0.22 um to be exact), and try to keep everything as sterile as possible.

With that being said, I do have to admit that I do sometimes still have a hard time finding a vein. And with every single poke, I use a new syringe. So this sometimes means I go through quite a bit of syringes (which I buy in bulk, online). It's even worse when I'm doing this somewhere other than at home. I have to carry multiple syringes, then move the mix from one syringe to the next whenever I miss a vein. It can be a huge pain in the ass (which I'm sure many people here can sympathize with).
Because of this, I've recently started to "experiment" using luer-lock (example) and slip-tip (example) syringes and needles (example). Using these would make it so much easier to carry around and to switch to a new needle when needed. But there are two problems I continue to run into with using luer-lock or slip-tip syringes:

1. Needle Variety Availability - It seems to be more difficult to find luer-lock or slip-tip needles in any other gauge/size other than those that are commonly used. I like to use 29g and 30g, but I haven't been able to find any 29g's on the interwebs, they seem to be mostly 25g and 30g.
  2. Dead Space - Dead space is the tiny amount of space that is left in the needle hub thats difficult to evacuate from the syringe. Not only does it just kinda suck to have that left over in the syringe, but that space is a bit of a "blind spot" when you're trying to get a vein to register.
    • This can be solved by purchasing needles that claim to have low/no dead space, but believe it or not... those aren't that easy to find, especially in my preferred gauge choice (29g).

In my online pursuit to find my "perfect luer-lock or slip-tip needle", which would be 29 gauge by 1/2 inch with no dead space, It dawned on me that I can't be the only one to have run into this problem. So I figured id come and ask :)

Question: Are there any luer-lock or slip-tip syringe users here that have found a source of needles with a decent variety? Which would include needles with low or now dead space.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:
MedVet International is a great site. Intended for small animal/large animal medical supplies, but a needle is a needle (and a syringe is a syringe). You just need the right size ;)

Supplies come in bulk (100 pieces usually) for a great price. Oh, and while your at it grab some alcohol swabs and etc. supplies. I've never had any problem with their quality, and if you do some searching you can find ANY gauge/cc you would need.

https://www.shopmedvet.com/ssearch?keyword=29g#/filter:categoryhierarchy:Syringes$2520$2526$2520Needles

Oh, and concerning 'Dead Space': when you've filled your syringe up, you are flicking it and pressing the plunger on the syringe barely right? This has always seemed to work for me. When you master this technique you lose very little of your liquid.

MedVet International is a great site. Intended for small animal/large animal medical supplies, but a needle is a needle (and a syringe is a syringe). You just need the right size ;)

Supplies come in bulk (100 pieces usually) for a great price. Oh, and while your at it grab some alcohol swabs and etc. supplies. I've never had any problem with their quality, and if you do some searching you can find ANY gauge/cc you would need.
I usually buy in bulk, so that works for me. But just a quick search shows they dont have 29 gauge luer lock :(

Oh, and concerning 'Dead Space': when you've filled your syringe up, you are flicking it and pressing the plunger on the syringe barely right? This has always seemed to work for me. When you master this technique you lose very little of your liquid.
That works with the one time use insulin syringes, sure. But what I'm referring to is the dead space in luer-lock or slip tip syringes:
lowdead_3.png
bontneedles-450x150-8.png

I know I'm being picky.. lol. But I figured why not ask. I could settle with 30 gauge luer lock needles if they were low dead space, that would definitely be a step up.

Last edited:
Ah okay, I see what you mean more clearly by dead space now. I hope you can find a source for 29G, LL, no dead space syringes/needles.

Speaking of dead space: I heard that a certain large animal veterinarian would collect ketamine out of the dead space when they finished administering it to an animal. After awhile you can collect quite a bit for personal usage. Smart guy, nothing would look suspicious on paper because you are using it all.

Ah okay, I see what you mean more clearly by dead space now. I hope you can find a source for 29G, LL, no dead space syringes/needles.
Yeah. I have no problem finding the single use insulin syringes in 29g, but I'm trying to optimize my "process" in terms of how much crap I bring with me (if I have to) as well as how much I throw away.
Also, luer-lock syringes are just so much easier to use. If I miss and have to get a new needle, with the insulin syringes I have to load everything into a new syringe (i believe the term is called piggybacking?). With a LuerLock, I just need to take the needle off and put a new one on. Simple as that! If needed, I could even keep the syringes pre-loaded with the mixture I want to shoot and just screw on a needle when needed. That would be super fast.

Speaking of dead space: I heard that a certain large animal veterinarian would collect ketamine out of the dead space when they finished administering it to an animal. After awhile you can collect quite a bit for personal usage. Smart guy, nothing would look suspicious on paper because you are using it all.
Well if that isn't the most random thing I've heard all damn day... lol. But that sounds interesting. I've never tried ketamine before. I did order some from Silk Road not too long ago, but it got lost and the vendor re-shipped it. I should be getting it any day now :)

Yeah. I have no problem finding the single use insulin syringes in 29g, but I'm trying to optimize my "process" in terms of how much crap I bring with me (if I have to) as well as how much I throw away.
Also, luer-lock syringes are just so much easier to use. If I miss and have to get a new needle, with the insulin syringes I have to load everything into a new syringe (i believe the term is called piggybacking?). With a LuerLock, I just need to take the needle off and put a new one on. Simple as that! If needed, I could even keep the syringes pre-loaded with the mixture I want to shoot and just screw on a needle when needed. That would be super fast.

Well if that isn't the most random thing I've heard all damn day... lol. But that sounds interesting. I've never tried ketamine before. I did order some from Silk Road not too long ago, but it got lost and the vendor re-shipped it. I should be getting it any day now :)

Yes, I can totally understand wanting to use Luer Lock or Slip Tip syringes. Personally, the LL?s are much better than the slip tips.

Lucky guy, I?ve heard Ketamine is some pretty fun stuff.

Personally, the LL?s are much better than the slip tips.
Believe it or not they're often completely compatible. The luer lock needles work just fine with the slip tip syringes. Then the syringes with the metal luer locks (like this one, which I have) are also both. You can use them as luer lock, or (if you look really closely at the metal part, youll see a seem) you can unscrew it and it becomes a slip tip. :)

That's my experience too. Luer lock and luer slip are completely compatible. Any combination works. At least I've never has a problem.

The only difference is that luer slip isn't actually locked by anything other than tension. If the needle gets blocked and you don't have another, it could be harder to fix if it's not locked. But that's a pretty specific and unusual situation.

Anyways, getting back on topic. Unfortunately I don't know how to help you with your supply probem. I've usually used local needle exchanges, or sometimes online (ebay usually) to get needles and syringes.

As for dead space, my solution to this is to simply stick with fixed needles. Like the classic 100u or 50u insulin syringe. They also tend to be easily obtained in 27, 29 and 30g. You can't replace the needle, but I've rarely been in a situation where I'd have wanted too if you're having trouble getting a vein, practice makes perfect. You can always practice with water. Strictly speaking, saline is better if you're not actually mixing in drugs, but at such small quantities as we're talking about, it doesn't really matter. Just don't inject large amounts of ordinary water practicing.

There aren't many instances where I would say you're better off using detachable needles and syringes. Fixed needles have pretty much zero dead space so that keeps the waste anxiety at bay (yes I can definitely relate :)).

As for being able to switch and use a new needle if you miss. That's why I suggest practicing. Reusing needles isn't good for your veins, but repoking them with new ones because you missed isn't ideal either. Getting better will fix both problems in the long term. But, if you must, you can actually transfer the contents of one fixed syringe to another if need be. I've done so on many occasions. You just take the plunger out, inject the contents of the old syringe into the new one, making sure to leave some air on both sides of the liquid, putting the plunger back in, then flick the syringe to move the liquid to the bottom of the syringe, then push out the remaining air. Again, you can practice with water.

I've generally found fixed needles better, but of course ultimately you need to find whatever you feel works best for you. Good luck man. Hope anything I've said has been of any help.