View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Case Report Details Use of Buprenorphine for Treatment of Kratom Dependence

d1nach

Bluelighter
Case Report Details Use of Buprenorphine for Treatment of Kratom Dependence
Advertisement

Opioid-like dependence due to chronic kratom use can be successfully treated with buprenorphine, according to a recent case report published in the Journal of Addiction Medicine.

Kratom, an herbal supplement that shares structural similarities with opioid analgesics, has recently grown in popularity as an unapproved opioid replacement therapy. The drug is easily obtained via the Internet (as it does not require a prescription), but oftentimes contains higher than typical doses and may be mixed with adulterants, increasing the risk of toxicity.

In their article, the authors report on two patients who used kratom to self-treat their chronic pain after they could no longer receive opioid analgesics from healthcare providers. Both patients presented to the clinic with evidence of kratom dependence and withdrawal and underwent home initiation of sublingual buprenorphine-naloxone therapy. In each case, transitioning to buprenorphine-naloxone maintenance led to control of both their chronic pain and opioid withdrawal symptoms.

RELATED ARTICLES
FDA Analysis Shows Kratom Not "Just a Plant"
FDA Issues Mandatory Recall of Food Products Containing Powdered Kratom
Case Report Reveals Another Possible Side Effect of Kratom
"Although some debate whether kratom is a true opioid or not, this case series shows that opioid agonist treatment with buprenorphine-naloxone is effective for some patients with kratom dependence and demonstrates 2 safe home initiations of buprenorphine," concluded the authors.

For more information visit Ovid.com.

buprenorphine is so fucking addictive. I can't imagine long term maintenance for kratom is a wise solution. Acute withdrawal, perhaps.

Thats funny because I am treating my bupe dependence with kratom. Am I going backwards? -_-

It’s probably the right direction.

Hard to say I guess.

Some people might like one way more than the other.

Complete fucking bullshit. I?ve spent three non consecutive years on bupe and the only way I ever got off the shit was by using Kratom. As stated above this is ass backwards. I wouldn?t call it a case study so much as a piece of FDA/Big pharma propaganda and I truly hope the publisher and whoever else involved in it?s inception burns in hell. Seriously, when it comes to heroin or what not at least you?re trading short severe w/d with long, drawn out (and somewhat less painful) w/d. After eating 40 plus grams of Kratom a day for extended periods of time I?ve never felt anything remotely as bad as my easiest bupe kick. I guess ymmv but not really...I guarantee the those two people will most definitely regret their decision:\

Last edited:
^Yeah I suppose my post was a little opinionated but you got on bupe to quit heroin, correct? I just think it’s fucking crazy to go from something like Kratom to Suboxone having quit both more times than I can count on one hand. The closest thing I could compare it to is jumping on subs for a Codiene habit. I mean if it works for them then more power to em, it just makes Kratom look way worse than it is in a time where our draconian government is working to “cure” a crisis by outlawing any remedy that doesn’t profit big pharma.

I dont think its some conspiracy with big pharma I just think they truely have no idea what they are talking about or what they are doing.

I agree that it seems to make little sense to replace a relatively mild drug that is barely an opioid with a strong opioid like buprenorphine. I suppose that it could be argued that it's good to replace a drug that comes from an unregulated source with a regulated one that adheres to high standards of quality control, but that's a better argument for setting up a regulated source for kratom than for using strong opioids to treat kratom addiction.

Last edited:
Bupe is far more addictive physically and mentally than kratom. Stupid idea to go from kratom to bupe

Actually, it makes a lot of sense to treat something that might be tentatively called “kratom use disorder” or severe acute withdrawal from kratom with buprenorphine. Doesn’t mean it’s appropriate in all cases, certainly not just because someone uses kratom.

It’s hard to say one drug is more addictive than another, but considering buprenorphine’s potency it wouldn’t be such a stretch. But that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be a helpful comfort med. I mean, tramadol or DHC would probably be more appropriate, but I could definitely see buprenorphine based ORT as a viable alternative to (severe) kratom use disorder in certain cases.

Definitely no panacea, but that can be said for buprenorphine (and ORT) across the board. It often very literally is a lifesaver, but like any serious medical intervention it must be used safely, skillfully and appropriately to be really effective. Methadone and buprenorphine save lives, but they aren’t treatments without risk.

Just trying to say, caveats either way. Depending on the individual, it might be helpful and appropriate, but it just as well might be a horribly inappropriate idea - it just depends on the circumstances.

As far ORT, kratom has a lot going for it. And a lot not. It’s pretty hard to have really effective ORT options with the way our policies criminalize and stigmatize drug users...

Until kratom becomes illegal, this doesn't make sense in any situation I can imagine. I think it's psychologically dangerous even. Bupe withdrawal is mentally and physically worse than even heavy kratom withdrawal.

Low dose Suboxone withdrawal gave me the worst akathesia I've probably experienced for about a week, followed by serious depression for at least a couple months. I believe it triggered an 8 year nightmare struggle with somatic anxiety that led to doctor-approved benzo addiction that I'm only recently free from.

I consumed up to 15 grams of kratom every day for about a year and a half. When I would stop cold turkey I felt a bit dead emotionally, but this lasted only four days at most. Most importantly, no apparent PAW symptoms.

I would rather withdraw from a moderate morphine habit than Suboxone. I think any doctor who prescribes bupe for kratom addiction should lose their license.

I'm a big proponent of opiate maintenance but I think this is a bad idea. Bupe is a beast of a habit compared to kratom. I hope this doesn't catch on as a trend

Here we go again, boys.

The douche nuggets once again wish to underscore the American people's life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness with an amendment to the Controlled Drugs & Substances Act in the form of the 'Mitragyna speciosa' tree. Why? Because, America! And because, freedom! Try the meatloaf.