• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Help. Best supplements for sleep during WD?

Xemnas710

Greenlighter
Ive been taking Xanax roughly for about a month and a half now. Dose 1mg -1.5 usually, taking 2mg maybe three times total. I usually spread my Xanax use to twice or three times a week tops. Use once take a couple days off etc. Last week I took 1.5 mg on Sunday rested a day and then took 2mg on Tuesday. For the following 2-3 days I felt rebound anxiety, tired etc nothing too awful though, just unpleasant and after three days I felt normal once more. So I stopped for a whole week. Tuesday I took a 2mg bar and today I woke up awful. Rebound anxiety, really sore muscles, sweaty palms, nauseous, sweaty in general. Just overall feel awful, unlike any benzo hangover Ive had before. Anyway day 2 I feel overall a little better but I haven't slept in 24 hours. Best supplements for sleep during this minor WD? Thanks

I?m in the same exact situation you?re in. I swear I went to a Russian/Armenian market (I live In Los Angeles and know the areas I speak Russian too) and got valerian root extract but Russian form it?s in Russian and English. I find the Russian stuff is legit works well and they have some shit that should be illegal, I?m almost positive.
ANwyays I got these blister packs under 5 bucks 50 valerian root 20 mgs. It say something online to take 200-600 mgs but I found that even 20-40 was effective which really surprised me because I thought even if I took all 50 nothing would touch my receptors after popping Xanax bars...
Anyways I hope this helps. Also the Russian store has this medicine called ?Valekordin? I think it?s spelled; it?s sedative oral drops it has like 6-7 herbs that help you with anxiety and sleep and there?s valerian root in that as well on top of some other herbs. Those 2 things are the only legal things I can come up with OTC that can help

You may need rx meds. If rebounding is that bad no shame in telling your truth - your truth - you need help coming off of semi regular use of a potent fast acting benzodiazepine

Gabapentin temporarily or a mild hypnotic would seem in order; if desperate Doxylamine 12.5-25 mg can be surprisingly effective for east adjusting a couple days ago

Valerian has always been a popular one and has some GABA-A activity IIRC. Kava is another that's also well regarded. Some supplement/ nutrition specialty shops have products with Calm in the name that have helped some in opioid WD, but might help a bit for benzos as well. Magnesium is the main ingredient I believe but in a better form than the citrate.

Here's some threads that might help:

* -Nutritional-amp-Herbal-Supplements-for-Anxiety!

* -Drug-free-tranquility-(Valium-without-the-Valium)#top

* -Good-non-addictive-anti-anxiety-drugs

I take a supplement that a lot of grocery stores and drug stores carry that has melatonin, valerian root, and for me, the secret ingredient is L-tryptophan, the stuff in turkey and warm milk that makes you sleepy. I've heard you can't get the L-tryptophan by itself; that I don't know. But this combo works well for me. I hope it's OK to say this here--the brand name it's sold under is Alteril. It's a bit spendy compared to other OTC sleep helpers, but I think it's worth it. Good luck and best wishes--I had the worst benzo habit after using Ativan for years to sleep mostly but also for anxiety. Getting off it, I don't think I slept for a month! At least it felt like it. I can't take Ambien or anything similar because it does horrible things to my memory. I got stopped for driving on Ambien and didn't remember getting in the car. I took it every night for a week or so before I quit and I have hardly any memory of the whole time--it didn't just erase my memories at night, but most of the next day as well. Scary stuff!

Here?s the amazon link to the same pharma company from Ukraine that makes the dank valerian I took. I really didn?t expect such powerful effects from it comparing to a pharmaceutical benzo like Xanax but I was really surprised and I really didn?t allow placebo to play a role in that lol.

Might as well try it?s cheap, legal, and pretty damn safe to consume
81TktbdM9IL._SX522_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here?s the Valecordin the Russian medicine that sedated you. Even the fda says it?s dangerous apparently and that they found ?corvivol? in it which is basically clonodine in Russia so idk but it?s legal too and cheap and has velrian root alongside other herbs that are pretty potent. These 2 are your best best I?d say OTC gabapentin oh and kava kava but I?ve never tried that personally

51kz078oYnL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A good herbal supplement for sleep is Poemus boldus which can be mixed with California's poppy and Crataegus oxycantha

Doesnt valocordin have phenobarbital in it? That to me sounds very counterproductive to just replace one addictive sedative for another.

I also read somewhere that it has phenobarbital but I think that was the real prescribed Russian version not the box on amazon lol

And I wouldn?t ever advise someone to switch one for another that?s why I pointed out the valerian root...

valerian extract definitely works as a sedative as first comment mentions. I just wanted to say that in my experience with valerian, it can make me feel too groggy/hungover in the morning to be worth taking. Especially if you're already trying to combat feeling crappy.

It's worth noting: that a lot of sleep while under sedation is not as useful/restful as regular sleep. So if you're suffering through not feeling well and you're tired/lethargic - I'd recommend just trying to get what little 'natural' sleep you can, as it will probably go a lot further than knocking yourself out (although, I can totally appreciate wanting to just be "asleep").

I would avoid diphenhydramine. Causes a panic and resless leggs for me during bupe withdrawal

You didn't mention where you live, but promethazine (Phenergan) has always been a pretty reliable sleep aid for me, and I'm fairly sure it's still sold OTC in some countries.

If you go with a hefty dose of the anhihistamines that have moderate to strong anticholinergic activity you should note that waking up with a dry, parched mouth & throat is not all that uncommon and might leave you rethinking which one to use. Just something to consider when choosing. I know diphenhydramine leaves me parched.

If you go with a hefty dose of the anhihistamines that have moderate to strong anticholinergic activity you should note that waking up with a dry, parched mouth & throat is not all that uncommon and might leave you rethinking which one to use. Just something to consider when choosing. I know diphenhydramine leaves me parched.
That's one of the reasons I favour promethazine. I find it to be sedating in a fairly typical antihistamine way, but with also a little of that mental "numbing"/"off-switch" feeling that I'd get from Seroquel, and it doesn't leave me with any sort of hangover or unpleasant after-effects.

If you want to go for an OTC straight antihistamine, I'd definitely recommend doxylamine over dephenhydramine. Another antihistamine that apparently has fewer side-effects and is available OTC in some places is hydroxyzine. It's said to be one of the more sedating ones and to have anxiolytic properties, so on that basis it seems like it should be useful for sleep.

Last edited:
Doxylamine Succinate is available OTC here(US) but sadly Hydroxine isn't. Neither is Promethazine, but I fully agree that they are superior to Diphenhydramine. I'm still kind of a Valerian/Melatonin guy but I hear you regarding Seroquel, it was just a bit much for my liking vs one of the aforementioned, a benzo, Z-drug or even a day of heavy exertion. My Spa at 104* F and some cannabis is probably highest on my list TBH though. %)

I'm still kind of a Valerian/Melatonin guy but I hear you regarding Seroquel, it was just a bit much for my liking vs one of the aforementioned, a benzo, Z-drug or even a day of heavy exertion.
Yeah, Seroquel is definitely on the heavy side, and not a med that anyone should be taking lightly. The only reason I really brought it up as a comparison is because it's a drug I'm relatively familiar and comfortable with; I doubt the OP would have any chance of being prescribed it anyway.
I was first scripted it as a mood stabiliser years ago - for which it was pretty ineffective - but I was able to convince my doctor to continue it as PRN. To this day, it's still the one med I can take and know that I'm 100% assured to be asleep within the next hour (even in the middle of my very worst amphetamine/stimulant trips). To be honest, just knowing it's there in case I need it is reassuring by itself.

Last edited: