European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?

F.U.B.A.R.

Bluelight Crew
This goes out to anyone old enough to remember real music. Who do you prefer - the Beatles or The Rolling Stones?

It's a bit like the Genesis v Pink Floyd, or Oasis v Blur question - everyone with an appreciation of music that involves actual talent will have an opinion.

So come on, who would win in a scrap?

(Or whose music do you prefer - for me it's the Stones without a doubt)

The Beatles by a country mile.
I personally cannot stand Bowling Stoned for many reasons & one being something only me & you will understand on this part of the forum F.U.B.A.R. but I say they should have given Fred McDowell his money for You Gotta Move way before they did & also to rip off several blues artists & not pay them or take the piss because they were poor black men from the Mississippi which meant they didn't have a decent legal team behind them & the Bowling Stoned lot could tie them up in long legal wars is a foul act imho.

Also I find The Beatles music so much better, each to their own I guess at the end of the day.

The Beatles by a country mile.
I personally cannot stand Bowling Stoned for many reasons & one being something only me & you will understand on this part of the forum F.U.B.A.R. but I say they should have given Fred McDowell his money for You Gotta Move way before they did & also to rip off several blues artists & not pay them or take the piss because they were poor black men from the Mississippi which meant they didn't have a decent legal team behind them & the Bowling Stoned lot could tie them up in long legal wars is a foul act imho.

Also I find The Beatles music so much better, each to their own I guess at the end of the day.

Yep, I know where you're coming from El Bandito, and I realise Jagger is a fuckin cunt that allegedly contributed to Brian Jones' demise, but as they say, "The devil has the best tunes" (even if they're ripped off by a bunch of white geezers). Also, The Beatles were little more than a fuckin boy band - a bit like Take That but with talent. Don't get me wrong, I love the Beatles, but the Stones had the edge in my mind...

Funny you should include 'The Wizard' in that list, I've just been listening to 'Fairies wear boots'...

I'm going to listen The Wizard now. Fuckin love these guys.

Funny you should include 'The Wizard' in that list, I've just been listening to 'Fairies wear boots'...

I'm going to listen The Wizard now. Fuckin love these guys.

sorry fUBAr, I have been having a right fuck around tonight with this fucking PC, I got no idea why it posted that load of shite as that was NOT what I wanted & I dread to think what else was on show there :(

I have had to delete the whole fucking thing as I had several other things open & it seems to have posted the whole of the PC windows, at least you managed to read the text I posted, I am sorry if the "X hamster grot" was also shown & I hope the mods dont get mad.

Sorry folks, this fucking PC is fit for the damn bin these days.

sorry fUBAr, I have been having a right fuck around tonight with this fucking PC, I got no idea why it posted that load of shite as that was NOT what I wanted & I dread to think what else was on show there :(

I have had to delete the whole fucking thing as I had several other things open & it seems to have posted the whole of the PC windows, at least you managed to read the text I posted, I am sorry if the "X hamster grot" was also shown & I hope the mods dont get mad.

Sorry folks, this fucking PC is fit for the damn bin these days.

WTF? I totally missed the XHamster grot - wish I'd checked out the other links. Get it back up now!!

This thread has been done before, but it's still a classic - so theres nowt wrong with revisiting it :)

I love em both, but for me it's the beatles. The idea that they were these squeaky-clean, pretty-boy poseurs is funny, because they were actually pretty fucking subversive and radical.
But their music is timeless. I fucking love the first 2 or 3 records especially <3

Beatles - Baby's in Black

Stones, easily for me. Well anything up to to Goatshead Soup (Some Girls is ok, too).

Funny that Beatles were rough types pretending to be good boys, and the Stones were well-to-do pretending to be rough.

Funny that Beatles were rough types pretending to be good boys, and the Stones were well-to-do pretending to be rough.

Haha that's true!

Yesterday was actually the 49th anniversary of Brian Jones' untimely passing - i think he was the first of the so-called 27 club .

jimi-hendrix-brian-jones-monterey-ca-1967-jim-marshall.jpg

Years active:

The Beatles: 1960 -1970 (10 years)

The Rolling Stones: 1962 - Present (56 years and counting)

Sez it all really. Scouse cunts couldn't stand the pace, took the money and ran... ;)

(Having said that, I reckon The Stones should have split up in 1975, cos they've done fuck all decent since then - except for 'Blue & Lonesome'...)

Edit: as for who would win in a scrap, I reckon it would deffo have been The Beatles as they were a bunch of working class northerners, not middle class arty farty southern poofs...

Last edited:
Edit: as for who would win in a scrap, I reckon it would deffo have been The Beatles as they were a bunch of working class northerners, not middle class arty farty southern poofs...

For absolute certain....Lennon would have take all the Stones by himself no problem at all. Working class northern kids versus southern art school wannabes

As for whose the best, well it's horses for courses innit. Both awesome in different ways.

Nobody can touch Lennon/McCartney as songwriters though and the way they developed the art was immense, although George had a good go.

The Beatles though, if I have to choose

Bloody hell, seems like Quiet Roar and myself are in the minority here. I reckon you fuckers need to listen to more Stones albums, especially Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed and Sticky Fingers. Come on folks, 'Sympathy for the Devil' and 'Gimme Shelter' are two of the greatest tracks ever made.

Also, name me one decent guitar solo from the Beatles (except 'while my Guitar Gently Weeps', cos that was ok, but not a patch on anything Keef knocked out)...

Last edited:
Musically it's the Stones every time. But I liked Lennon's humour and Harrison came across as a genuine guy.

Bloody hell, seems like Quiet Roar and myself are in the minority here. I reckon you fuckers need to listen to more Stones albums, especially Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed and Sticky Fingers. Come on folks, 'Sympathy for the Devil' and 'Gimme Shelter' are two of the greatest tracks ever made.

totally - the stones are fucking incredible.

but you're also spot on about the albums - Beggars Banquet (1968 ), Let it Bleed (1969) and Sticky Fingers (1971) - the stones most impressive material is from the latter part of the 60s and into the 70s, when they stepped out of the beatles' shadows.

nothing against the stones, but the beatles were releasing self-penned singles really early on that completely transformed pop music and rock'n'roll (then going off into a range of ground-breaking and experimental music styles, from psychedelia and indian influences to using sound collages and tape loops with the occasional symphonic flourish) - but the stones really began as a covers band doing blues material.

a few of the stones' 60s records were smart-arse retorts to beatles records (their "let it bleed" to the beatles' "let it be") or kinda obvious rip offs ("their satanic majesty's request" to "sergeant pepper's lonely heart's club band" - but by the time the beatles were fracturing apart, the stones were really finding their stride.

the stones' early 70s records were killer. "exile on main street" is another great one.

but i dunno, there's something about the songs the beatles were writing in the early 60s that i fucking love - this is from 1963;

the beatles - there's a place

the melodies and those vocal harmonies are pretty fucking special, i reckon. nobody sang like john, paul and george.

and for all the "clean-cut" moptop innocent image, they did have a hit song about oral sex in 1963 -

the beatles - please please me

it's easy to overlook how profoundly subversive the beatles were.
the stones were playing the role of being "bad boys" - but the beatles really changed pop culture - and youth culture in such fundamental ways that the music business - and pop culture - were totally different pre-beatles and post-beatles.

they famously couldn't hear themselves onstage because of the girls in the audience screaming - and it's really hard to sing onstage with a band if you can't hear yourself even without thousands of kids screaming at you - but they still sang those incredible harmonies live, pitch-perfect. which is really fucking amazing if you ask me.

nothing against the stones though - they're a fucking great band in their own right. one of many great bands from that time, like the kinks, the animals, the who, the yardbirds...and many others.

the fucking troggs man!

if the stones fans haven't seen this, i'd recommend you do so :)

Kurt Cobain said in many interviews when he did "About a girl" from Bleach he played the first 3 Beatles albums over & over again then tried to take their way of building a tune and make something with it but with his own spin on it.

The Bowling Stoned lot just went around ripping off old Levee camp workers stuff & NOT paying up........go figure folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtlVSedpIRU

Also, name me one decent guitar solo from the Beatles (except 'while my Guitar Gently Weeps', cos that was ok, but not a patch on anything Keef knocked out)...

Well, The Beatles weren't really about the old guitar solo eh, but there are some great ones nonetheless.

McCartneys solo on 'Taxman' is pretty epic, as is Lennon's weird-ass rambling tomfoolery on 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)' . Another standout is the Harrison/Lennon/McCartney collaborative solo on "The End" (can't think of any other examples of a 3-man guitar solo off the top of me head....anyone?) so yeah, innovative.

The "Helter Skelter" solo is also worth a listen...y'know...the tune that pretty much gave birth to a heavy rock sound...

Another little-known fact is that Eric Clapton actually played the solo on "While My Guitar..." so not a Beatle solo at all

The Beatles also happen to have been the greatest, most super spine-tingly, male vocal harmony band ever, imho <3

^ i reckon macca's bass playing on "lady madonna" is better than anything clapton ever did :)

Well, The Beatles weren't really about the old guitar solo eh, but there are some great ones nonetheless.

McCartneys solo on 'Taxman' is pretty epic, as is Lennon's weird-ass rambling tomfoolery on 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)' . Another standout is the Harrison/Lennon/McCartney collaborative solo on "The End" (can't think of any other examples of a 3-man guitar solo off the top of me head....anyone?) so yeah, innovative.

The "Helter Skelter" solo is also worth a listen...y'know...the tune that pretty much gave birth to a heavy rock sound...

Another little-known fact is that Eric Clapton actually played the solo on "While My Guitar..." so not a Beatle solo at all

The Beatles also happen to have been the greatest, most super spine-tingly, male vocal harmony band ever, imho <3

I'll give you 'Helter Skelter' cos that was one of their best ever tracks - hell, they were nearly a rock band with that one ;)

But as for 'Helter Skelter' (1968 ) giving birth to the heavy rock sound, ever heard 'You Really Got Me' by The Kinks? (1964)

https://youtu.be/-2GmzyeeXnQ

The Kinks were knocking out heavy rock when The Beatles were still singing about wanting to hold hands... ;)

However, I had forgotten that Clapton was on 'While my guitar Gently Weeps', but that kind of proves my point...

@Quiet Roar: yes, 'Get yer ya yas out' is a fuckin masterpiece. The versions of 'Love in vain' and 'Sympathy for the Devil' on that album are sublime...

Last edited: