• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Detox Brutally detoxing again

I would use the pyrethrin outside, then find a
Raid fogger for inside. Your best bet is the extermination service though.

Ugh, so the ex got the dog after all, huh? Fuck, man. I thought you guys were friends? Guess not anymore, huh?

I hope you get the new pupper...and props to you for adopting not shopping. There's so many old dogs who need homes. I just couldn't imagine having a dog for so long, and then giving him up..I understand there are unique situations (death of owners, a new baby who is allergic, etc), but still. This is Herschel, btw, my boy. I adopted him 3 years ago when he was about 4 or 5. He's literally the definition of a "good boy".:
30171335_10104320214926677_4735421772966053516_o.jpg

Awww, how cute! This is my soon-to-be new little buddy "Sonny." Sonny's owner died of terminal cancer and when the family came to the house after she died, he was so shy that he hid and the family wasn't even aware there was a dog in the house. It wasn't until he was in a window barking five days later that he was rescued. I was told by his foster mom because he wasn't taken on walks he's going to need leash retraining, but he never has accidents unless there are no puppy pads down. He does have separation anxiety given what he went through, but I work remotely most of the time anyway, so I'm rarely away from home for more than a few hours. He's also much bigger than Petunia (Petunia also has hip dysplasia and can't take long walks) so once we get the leash thing down, I hope he enjoys being outside as much as I do. Foster mom also told me he loves car rides, so I'll travel with him too whenever possible. Sonny is currently being fostered in Bradenton, between Tampa and Sarasota on the Gulf, so I am meeting foster mom a week from tomorrow in Lakeland to pick him up.

34he2oi.jpg

I caved on Petunia because when I was moving out, I told the ex wife I would be back in a few days to pick up Leia, another wiener dog (I'm breed loyal to dachshunds) who was really my dog, and the very next fucking day she filed a restraining order on me, most of which was fabricated. I'm sure it was to keep me from coming and getting the dog. Yes, we were civil for a while, but that ended when I told her I wanted Petunia back and she screamed, "GET A CAT!!!" at me. Not that I don't love cats - we always had them around the farm when I was a kid to keep the rodents down, but a cat is not a substitute for a dog. I can't take a cat to the park, and I can't have an espresso at a sidewalk cafe with a cat. Anyway, that outburst brought back some very deep seated bad memories of our marriage. That restraining order cost me several thousand dollars in court ordered therapy and I had to turn my guns (I'm not a gun nut, I got my dad's shotgun after he died and I have my .22 rifle from when I was a kid and did competitive marksmanship) to Orlando PD for the duration of the order. She plays dirty pool and I don't want to get ensnared in her web again. I play trivia at local bars on Wednesday and Thursday with friends from AA/Refuge Recovery and she was there on Thursday and (whether she was aware of it or not) was sabotaging me with someone I was clearly interested in. I don't understand why some women feel the need to do that - sabotaging men they don't even want themselves. Reminds me of one of those stories in the back of The Big Book where some guy said, "If you had my wife, you'd drink too."

Oh, and I almost forgot, the ex asked me if I was taking Petunia (and by extension, paying for) her vet visit today. As if.

It's nice to see you back around here LHL. Take care.

Last edited:
Pshhhhh and then she wants you to pay for the vet bills?

Sounds like a debacle I had with an ex over my old beloved Doberman that i finally just had to leave be. It's a shame there isn't a custody court situation with dogs like there is with people. Some people reading this might think that this is a ridiculous statement, but, especially to us child-less folks, a dog can be almost like a child and losing one in a breakup can be just as painful as losing complete custody of a child during a divorce, It took me years to get over my ex taking Ramona, and to be ok with getting and loving another dog and not feeling like a traitor to my girl.

Not feeling great this morning. I took an Ambien last night and according to my sleep app it still took me almost half an hour to fall asleep and I woke up enough times during the night that I got less than 6 hrs of sleep. Also had some really unpleasant dreams, one being of being strung out on pills and booze in my former workplace. Everyone was being hostile to me and I got a handwritten memo from my former boss about not working in that field ever again. Ugh. I thought I would sleep like a log since it was actually cool out in the evening and I took a two mile walk around the lake I live on. I think maybe I'm stressed out over $$$ because I had to pay my homeowners insurance premium for the rest of the year and money is kind of short because of it. I guess I shouldn't complain though. Some poor soul at NA once told me, "You have rich peoples' problems." I would be the last person to describe myself as "rich" but it's all a matter of degrees I guess.

Sounds like some fucked up dreams, just like I had last night.

I fell asleep at 2, had a bunch of crazy nightmares that kept waking me up and then I got up for good at 7. Sigh. Let's hope we both sleep better tonight aihfl!!

How's your day going?

Hugs,
Ash.
Not feeling great this morning. I took an Ambien last night and according to my sleep app it still took me almost half an hour to fall asleep and I woke up enough times during the night that I got less than 6 hrs of sleep. Also had some really unpleasant dreams, one being of being strung out on pills and booze in my former workplace. Everyone was being hostile to me and I got a handwritten memo from my former boss about not working in that field ever again. Ugh. I thought I would sleep like a log since it was actually cool out in the evening and I took a two mile walk around the lake I live on. I think maybe I'm stressed out over $$$ because I had to pay my homeowners insurance premium for the rest of the year and money is kind of short because of it. I guess I shouldn't complain though. Some poor soul at NA once told me, "You have rich peoples' problems." I would be the last person to describe myself as "rich" but it's all a matter of degrees I guess.

I've had Dachshund's for the last 20years. They live long healthy lives and are very loyal. Only problem I've had with mine is they are too territorial about our yard and end up chasing cars . He looks like a healthy and smart dog . Is he a standard or mini ? After each death we swear it's our last ,but some how they fall in our lap again. Dachshund for life !!!

Yes they are generally great dogs. The first one I rescued came from Orange Co. Animal Services where she was on death row. I believe she had been mistreated in a puppy mill because she was a minimum of 10 YO when I got her and she had never been spayed and had mammary tumors. I really had to be careful with her around people and dogs she didn't know because she would bite. Poor thing. The other one I had (one of the two that the ex wife stole) also came from Orange County. I don't think she was much past puppyhood when I got her because she was a real handful. Still is. Petunia was a great dog since she was so low maintenance but it will be nice to have a dog that is bigger and doesn't have issues that inhibit mobility. Petunia also had zero issues with other animals including cats (she and one of the neighborhood cats were buddies). The summer we separated my ex came back from our house in New England with a longhaired wiener that is still out of control. He is completely undisciplined and can be a real terror and she lets him call the shots. That is the only dachshund I've met that I can say I thoroughly dislike. It bit me once when I tried to take a banana peel away from him and it killed one of my cats. The damn thing sits in the front window all day and barks constantly and is out of control on walks. I told her she really needs to take him to obedience training, but she tells me (like she's a fucking expert) that dachshunds can't be trained. Bullshit. Anyway, Sonny is a 10 YO standard and apparently pretty mellow according to foster mom. I prefer senior pets for that reason. I can't imagine dealing with a puppy again. Or a kitten. People underestimate how destructive cats can be. Apparently Sonny lost a lot of teeth since he wasn't adequately taken care of during his owner's illness, but is otherwise in good health.

Last edited:
Only bite I've ever gotten from a dog was from a dachshund...ijs...;)

My bf and his (awful) family love chihuahuas. *vomit*

Only bite I've ever gotten from a dog was from a dachshund...ijs...;)

My bf and his (awful) family love chihuahuas. *vomit*

They can be "snappy" with young children . My nephews were scared of our oldest dachshund until they hot to about 8 years old .

Chihuahuas have grown on me the past few years. I used to hate them. The older lady who lived on an adjoining farm when I was a kid had one and it was the nastiest little animal and that stuck with me for a long time. I don't like them enough to have one though. The only non doxie I've had was a min pin that I also got off death row at Orange Co. Poor thing was in really bad health. She only lived for a few months after I got her but I'd like to think she was happy for those few months. Doxies are one of the breeds that are statistically the likeliest to bite someone, it's just because of their size they can't seriously injure someone. I have a sign inside my front door that has a silhouette of a doxie at the bottom and it reads "death from the ankles down."

I slept better last night than I did the last two nights. Still took me about 20 minutes to fall asleep even with an Ambien, but I ended up with about 7 hrs of sleep and was up pretty early this morning. I have to put in a half day of work so that gave me plenty of time to prepare a decent breakfast and run errands. I was never a morning person, but then again, I've been binge drinking since I was 17. It's amazing how it's not an ordeal to fall asleep at night and get out of bed in the morning when you're not "sleeping it off."

It poured rain here on July 4, so the July 4 fireworks were rescheduled for tomorrow night. I'm planning to go if the weather holds, but there is a tropical wave (unlikely to develop) down around Cuba that could potentially bring us a ton of rain anywhere from tomorrow through Tuesday.

Hope everyone out there (at least in North America) is having a great holiday weekend. I just got back from seeing the postponed July 4 fireworks (it stormed like a son of a bitch on July 4) and the timing couldn't have been better since a passing shower hit as I was walking back out to the car. A nice hoorah for the end of summer with fireworks, loud music and way too much junk food. Am going to watch the Florida State-Virginia Tech game tomorrow with some people from the local chapter of the Alumni Association. I tend to be kind of a recluse (though I actually don't mind being alone) so it's probably good for me to get out and actually meet some new people. Enjoy what remains of the weekend everyone!

Heres a firework war video you may get a laugh at. Android still is cooperating si here a link .

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that is insane. My friends and I did shit like that when we were kids, but not to that degree. I was telling the friend I was with last night how we were playing with stuff we had no business playing with, like M80s and cherry bombs. She asked, "Your parents let you do that?" They didn't know. We'd just ask for money for fireworks and we got what we wanted. Kids these days (at least in cities) are so sheltered it's unimaginable anymore.

Oy vey, that Florida State game was depressing. 24-3F. They made it to the goal line twice and couldn't score a touchdown either time. The only points FSU scored were from a field goal first half. Over half their offensive plays netted either no yards or negative yards. I'll piss myself if they're even ranked tomorrow. Damn those Texas schools (A&M in this case) and their deep pockets luring Jimbo Fisher away from FSU. I remember when University of Illinois was a top ranked team in the early 1990s until Texas lured away John Mackovic and they just crumbled for a long time after that. Virginia Tech was just unstoppable offensively and defensively, so congratulations are in order for them. I should have just gone to Refuge Recovery and come home and watched RBG, which was broadcast on CNN tonight, but it was nice to meet some new people and fellow alumni and be around non-recovery people for a change. I really do need to get my life back.

Last edited:
Yeah that was a piss poor offensive performance. Kudos to FSUs defense though they played lights out most of the game under difficult conditions. I don't see Taggert lasting long down there.

Yeah, FSU's decent defense is what kept it from being a completely lopsided blowout, but still. They play Samford next, which I always just assumed would be a lopsided blowout, but after last night, I'm not taking anything for granted. The polls haven't come out yet, but all the commentators are saying FSU most likely will fall from the rankings. Taggert has a very short window of time to make up for last night's performance or yeah, he's not going to last. And that's a tall order coming up against Clemson and Miami in October.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who dropped by and contributed to this thread. I think it's time to let it go because I haven't been detoxing for quite a while. I may be going through a touch of PAWS as I'm finding myself easily irritated by others. I'm always irritable to some degree, but to the current degree is unusual and I've found myself avoiding groups of people. The last AA meeting I went to, I walked out. A well-meaning friend asked why I left, and I wasn't diplomatic, telling her when someone says something worthwhile, I'll stay. I did apologize to her for that snarky comment but I can't say that the sentiment behind it has changed.

Irritability aside, the change in my psych meds has helped dramatically otherwise and while my sleep is still up and down, even with medication, overall, it seems to be improving. I actually got more than 7 hours of sleep last night (usually average between 5 and 6 hrs) and didn't stay up watching Netflix on my phone for 45 minutes while I wait to get sleepy enough to fall asleep like I usually do. And morning routines are becoming less and less onerous. In the past, I wouldn't roll out of bed until the last possible moment, but I don't mind getting up on the early side now to prepare myself a decent breakfast and take the dog on a long walk to tire him out for at least part of the day while I'm working and to make sure he's gotten all of his bathroom needs taken care of. Work is much better since Adderall. I got "a talking to" as we say in the south, about statistical accuracy issues a few months ago, something that is just slightly important when it comes to standardized testing, but thanks to Adderall, I'm not having problems with functioning at 8:30am and that 3pm haze.

I'm not signing off from SL. Just figure since this is labeled a detox thread, unless I fall off the wagon, it's run its course. If I have anything earth shattering to share, I think the monthly threads will be a good place to do that, along with my non sequiturs on hik and LHL's threads.

EDIT: Anyone along the coast of the Carolinas and Virginia, be safe. This hurricane is a monster. We had our turns in the barrel last year and the year before with Irma and Matthew.

Last edited: