• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Detox Brutally detoxing again

Well hell's bells. I am getting so sick of drug policy in this country. I go to Publix to drop of my gabapentin prescription and I can no longer get a 90 day supply because some states have scheduled it. The drug companies pushed opiates and since that backfired, doctors pushed gabapentin and now they're coming after that. The drug companies and doctors create these "monsters" and patients end up paying the price.

On a lighter note, my cashier at Publix just now (bought some magnesium supplements at Somni's recommendation) was named Dayanara, like the character in Orange is the New Black. I'm sure EVERYONE says something about it to her so I left it alone.

My old AA sponsor is having surgery on his foot next week. He'll be bedridden for about a week so he asked me if I minded staying with him and being his go-fer. It'll be good for me to get out of my own house and toxic headspace at the moment.

EPL1 said:
I literally wrote you a big ass pm aihfl and when I hit submit it fucking erased it....fuck fuck fuck.

Ash, I've had that happen to me. I'll type up a post and then it takes me to that stupid cloudflare page and it's lost to the ether.

10YearsGone said:
You're doing good Aih. You continue to push forward no matter what. Super proud of you!!!

Thank you 10. I have another appt with the psychiatrist tomorrow morning. Will post how it goes.

pm'd you.

Well hell's bells. I am getting so sick of drug policy in this country. I go to Publix to drop of my gabapentin prescription and I can no longer get a 90 day supply because some states have scheduled it. The drug companies pushed opiates and since that backfired, doctors pushed gabapentin and now they're coming after that. The drug companies and doctors create these "monsters" and patients end up paying the price.

On a lighter note, my cashier at Publix just now (bought some magnesium supplements at Somni's recommendation) was named Dayanara, like the character in Orange is the New Black. I'm sure EVERYONE says something about it to her so I left it alone.

Ash, I've had that happen to me. I'll type up a post and then it takes me to that stupid cloudflare page and it's lost to the ether.

I've noticed Dr's being a little weird w Neurontin. It seems a little over board.

After being Rx'd oxycontin, morphine, Fiorinal w codeine, Xanax to name some of the meds I've been on, it seems ridiculous to get hassled about Neurontin.

Thanks for the info aih.

The psychologist thinks I need to be on methylphenidate or Adderall, so that'll be another controlled prescription I'll have to deal with if the psychiatrist bites. Florida cracked down on all controlled medications, not just opiates, as of July 1.

Yeah nuerotin is getting a bad reputation with docs around here as well. It's stupid because it's crazy weak

The psychologist thinks I need to be on methylphenidate or Adderall, so that'll be another controlled prescription I'll have to deal with if the psychiatrist bites. Florida cracked down on all controlled medications, not just opiates, as of July 1.

I think Tennessee, Florida and Mississippi had the July 1st drug laws go into place . I believe Kentucky has gabapentin at schedule IV . Its getting to the point that people are gonna say screw it and get on heroin .

I think Tennessee, Florida and Mississippi had the July 1st drug laws go into place . I believe Kentucky has gabapentin at schedule IV . Its getting to the point that people are gonna say screw it and get on heroin .

Absolutely. According to my pharmacist there are no proposals to schedule gabapentin at the federal or state level in Florida but all bets are off if some reactionary asshole like Ron DeSantis gets himself elected governor. The only winners in all this are the heroin dealers.

Kentucky, West Virginia and Ohio I think have scheduled gabapentin.

Last edited:
The psych appointment went well this morning. I told the doctor I've been having problems falling asleep and have been resorting to taking Ativan but I really don't want to use Ativan for that purpose because I don't want to develop a tolerance, so he gave me a script for Ambien. I must have laid in bed and tossed and turned for two hours before I finally broke down and took an Ativan. At the psychologist's recommendation, he also wrote me a one month script for Adderall. I have to talk to him in a month to see how it's working before he writes me other scripts for it. At any rate, I feel my mood improving with each passing day.

Just read through your thread, Congrats on your progress alcohol is the worst drug in the world IMO for numerous reasons, withdrawal and social acceptability being just a few. Must be very hard to stay clean with people treating it like a harmless vice.

Good luck

Just read through your thread, Congrats on your progress alcohol is the worst drug in the world IMO for numerous reasons, withdrawal and social acceptability being just a few. Must be very hard to stay clean with people treating it like a harmless vice.

Good luck
Thanks. Yes, alcohol is evil. The only thing worse than alcohol WD is WDs from alcohol and benzos at the same time. And it's the most accessible of all abused drugs.

Wow that's really great news, all of it, especially your mood improving!!!

Hugs,
Ash.

The psych appointment went well this morning. I told the doctor I've been having problems falling asleep and have been resorting to taking Ativan but I really don't want to use Ativan for that purpose because I don't want to develop a tolerance, so he gave me a script for Ambien. I must have laid in bed and tossed and turned for two hours before I finally broke down and took an Ativan. At the psychologist's recommendation, he also wrote me a one month script for Adderall. I have to talk to him in a month to see how it's working before he writes me other scripts for it. At any rate, I feel my mood improving with each passing day.

because of the heat here I haven't had an appetite either.
We didn't get rain today until almost dark. It was stifling and tomorrow is predicted to be rain free so it will probably be just as bad, if not worse. I think the high was 95. I think my AC ran for two hours straight late this afternoon. My appetite still isn't completely back. I get hungry and then take two bites of something and feel full. I just don't eat when I'm on a drinking binge even though I should know better after I ended up in the hospital after one binge with potassium levels so dangerously low I could barely stand up or walk. I'm off from work tomorrow. I haven't been to a grocery store in over a month, so the plan is to sleep in and stock up so I don't have to keep getting takeout food.

The heat here is over 90 and I have no AC. I'm going to buy one this weekend.

Back in my party/drinking days I was the same, if I knew I was going to be drinking I never ate. And when you're 110 lbs its, Really. Not. Good. Lol!

Enjoy your day off my friend.

We didn't get rain today until almost dark. It was stifling and tomorrow is predicted to be rain free so it will probably be just as bad, if not worse. I think the high was 95. I think my AC ran for two hours straight late this afternoon. My appetite still isn't completely back. I get hungry and then take two bites of something and feel full. I just don't eat when I'm on a drinking binge even though I should know better after I ended up in the hospital after one binge with potassium levels so dangerously low I could barely stand up or walk. I'm off from work tomorrow. I haven't been to a grocery store in over a month, so the plan is to sleep in and stock up so I don't have to keep getting takeout food.

Well I did sleep in, until about 9, which is late for me, after a night of really weird ass dreams. I felt sleepy enough to not take any Ambien (I don't remember taking a long time to fall asleep), just my usual bedtime cocktail of 250mg magnesium, 900mg gabapentin, 15mg mirtazapine and 75mg doxepin but I still feel groggy. Maybe it's just the lack of sleep from when I was in acute withdrawal catching up with me.

Ash, I used to spend my summers in Southern Vermont. Central air is unheard of in New England. I had an ancient window unit that came with the house on the ground floor but I never turned it on lest it cause the entire New England power grid to go down. Whenever there was a heat wave, I would just retreat to the finished part of the basement that functioned as a den and my home office (that's where the TV was anyway) only coming out for food and drink.

Well I did sleep in, until about 9, which is late for me, after a night of really weird ass dreams. I felt sleepy enough to not take any Ambien (I don't remember taking a long time to fall asleep), just my usual bedtime cocktail of 250mg magnesium, 900mg gabapentin, 15mg mirtazapine and 75mg doxepin but I still feel groggy. Maybe it's just the lack of sleep from when I was in acute withdrawal catching up with me.

Ash, I used to spend my summers in Southern Vermont. Central air is unheard of in New England. I had an ancient window unit that came with the house on the ground floor but I never turned it on lest it cause the entire New England power grid to go down. Whenever there was a heat wave, I would just retreat to the finished part of the basement that functioned as a den and my home office (that's where the TV was anyway) only coming out for food and drink.

How do you like the magnesium for its calming effects ? I've been taking 100mg a day for a few weeks . I'm also on Vitamin D and potassium.

How do you like the magnesium for its calming effects ? I've been taking 100mg a day for a few weeks . I'm also on Vitamin D and potassium.
It's great. I didn't have to resort to using a benzo or an Ambien last night. Usually once I'm out I'm out, but only after an hour or two of tossing and turning but I was out pretty quickly (for me, anyway) last night. I take a multivitamin in the morning that has 100mg magnesium in it, so I take the 250mg supplement at night along with all my other bedtime meds. The FDA doesn't recommend taking more than 350mg/day anyway. And Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) baths feel amazing.

I learned about the importance of potassium during one particular binge when I was drinking about a liter of vodka daily and not eating for weeks - I was admitted to the hospital with a potassium level so dangerously low that I could barely stand or walk. I take lisinopril for blood pressure and it has a tendency to increase blood potassium levels, so as long as I eat properly I haven't had a problem.

I've started taking Vitamin D again as well. I've been drinking heavily and not eating well for about two months, so I'm probably deficient. I usually am when I'm not taking my supplements.

Hope we're both feeling better tomorrow.

Yeah , I think the magnesium helps calm the body naturally. I can tell if I don't take it . As a matter of fact I skipped it yesterday and my legs are noticeably more restless today. I take lisinopril also for BP. It's the only BP med that doesn't effect my libido.

I was also on a clonidine patch but while I was sober for seven months, it actually made my blood pressure too low, so my doc took me off it. I'm on the max dose of lisinopril at 40mg/day. I'm on three antidepressants so I have no sex drive anymore, which is just as well. I haven't been in a relationship in over a year so I haven't had sex with the exception of an ill-advised one night stand.

I went to bed around 10:45 last night, tossed and turned for about an hour. Knowing I had to be at work this morning at 8:30, I broke down and took an Ambien. Whoa. Lights. Out. Before you even know it. It worked even faster than a benzo. One of my problems getting to sleep is that I feel overheated when I first get into bed. During the warmer months, I have to fall asleep with a fan blowing on me, then I wake up in the middle of the night freezing. I'm curious if anyone else has this pattern because all my other significant others including my ex-wife have the opposite pattern where they go to bed cold and wake up in the middle of the night overheated. The doc said it could be a thyroid problem and ordered the appropriate blood tests but they came back normal.

Anyway, still a bit groggy this morning, but otherwise feeling better than yesterday so far.

Have you had your testosterone levels checked lately? It sure helps my depression. I take a shot in the butt cheeks every 2 weeks. I tried the antidepressant thing years ago with no luck so my dr ordered the test and my levels were in the range of a female. That first shot was like I was reborn . It just may be the thing you need.

Have you had your testosterone levels checked lately? It sure helps my depression. I take a shot in the butt cheeks every 2 weeks. I tried the antidepressant thing years ago with no luck so my dr ordered the test and my levels were in the range of a female. That first shot was like I was reborn . It just may be the thing you need.
No, not to my knowledge. I have to see my psychiatrist again next month for a follow up about the new Adderall script so I can ask him to order a blood test then. I'm sure that heavy drinking does not help.