• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Latest book/reading material purchase

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
I guess this could be a list thread, but I always like to know what people are reading (so I can judge their taste, of course ;)). Include magazines, or newspapers or whatever litereture you are perusing- textbooks, anything.

I gotta say, I justify the purchasing of heaps of books with the fucking truthful refrain of "You can never have too many books" and, seriously guys, its the perfect justification. Also, I know of a awesome chain of bookshops in my city that have cheap ($6-$10 maximum) books, sometimes obsucure and random but sourced from all sorts of places (I think some are international versions of books, or limited runs, maybe slightly defective, overprinted, I have no idea, the books are great okay?)

Then there is the dying joy of the 2nd hand bookshop. I don't understand people who sell books, so I feast upon their leavings eagerly. Today I found a great purchase, shared below:

I gloat, nothing below was over $7. :)

• Thin Air- Michelle Paver. Evidently a sort of horror novel set on K2 (mountain) many years ago.
  • The Strange Case of the Ricketty Cossack- Ian Tattersall. Terrible title, but a beautiful hardback about human evolution and stuff.
  • Peace and War- Joe Haldeman. Compilation of his 'Forever War' galactic space opera trilogy which I've never read but have heard is brilliant.
  • Gravity's Engines- Caleb Scharf. Non-fiction book about black holes by some astrophysicist. Sweet cover too.
  • Eight Little Piggies- Stephen Jay Gould. Bunch of essays about fossils and geology and whatever. Usually pretty interesting, whatever the tale. This one was second hand, but still cost the same which seemed odd. In perfect, unread condition though, I couldn't tell it was 2nd hand.

:?

Anyway.

. . . and then a few days back I bought:
  • Origin Story- David Christian. Fantastic examination of the birth of everything, big bang, planets, humans, etc. Great stuff, and an Aussie author too. This one was expensive though.

There we go, I've done my bragging :p. I think I'll start with 'Thin Air'.

Anyone care to share?

We have a “what are you reading?” Thread

I bought a copy of Inherent Vice. Very worthwhile so far.

9780593046289-uk.jpg

Book 5 of Malazan. Before this I think it was The Three-Body Problem

I'm busy reading a John Grisham book called The Street Lawyer
I'm enjoying it nice light read