• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

1 month clean from everything but I can't stop thinking about cocaine

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Today am literally a month clean from everything. No booze, no smokes and no cocaine.

In the first few weeks was craving was cigarettes and alcohol but now I just keep on wanting cocaine.

I know this will subside as when I was once hooked on meth and quit, i.e. going back to 2010 - 2011 I had the same feelings.

What's worse is I live in Australia and whatever coke I did have was probably considered to be garbage. So it baffles me that I am still craving it. Although when I was going through my mid life crisis I was doing 4 - 8 grams a day. The last time I did coke I felt like crap, just didn't get that overly happy yet hey was a $1250 in debt for the garbage.

Any tips on getting over it?

At the moment just want some amp to get me working and moving again.

Hey no

Ive noticed with me that the urges to use come and go, i try to focus on something else. Like playing a video game or listening to music.
Like you are doing now it's good to talk about this type of stuff,get it out in the open.

Just wanna say that i am happy for you about the positive choices you have made and really inspire me to do the same. <3

You have to control yourself, learn it by little things, like D said, music/play a video game/ draw or even better write something, whatever race in ur mind

D's post is good... I would distract myself with watching TV, cleaning, listening to music. I had to remember to re-distract myself some days, as the thoughts of using (cocaine) would creep back in. The great news is: when I did not pick up again, the thoughts eventually became farther apart until they stopped. However, I had to have patience with the process, as it was not an overnight thing for me... took months.

Today am literally a month clean from everything. No booze, no smokes and no cocaine.

In the first few weeks was craving was cigarettes and alcohol but now I just keep on wanting cocaine.

I know this will subside as when I was once hooked on meth and quit, i.e. going back to 2010 - 2011 I had the same feelings.

What's worse is I live in Australia and whatever coke I did have was probably considered to be garbage. So it baffles me that I am still craving it. Although when I was going through my mid life crisis I was doing 4 - 8 grams a day. The last time I did coke I felt like crap, just didn't get that overly happy yet hey was a $1250 in debt for the garbage.

This is very normal, cocaine is one of those drugs that has a crazy attachment even though it doesn't have a withdrawal syndrome like opioids.

Since you're in Oz, you might want to consider finding an ibogaine program. Not sure what the local laws are there, but I would be surprised if there wasn't something you could find in that part of the world (maybe, Thailand?).

Stuff like ibogaine (NMDA antagonists) can be really great for resetting the psyche, for lack of a better metaphor. It isn't a magic bullet, but it tends to totally kill cravings for DOCs like cocaine.

Exercise, diet and sleep are probably the most important things for you to keep focusing on. Days 30-90 are the hardest for a lot of people, especially with something like cocaine. Its a really good sign if you can make it to day 90.

If you have any mental health stuff going on, it would be worthwhile working with a psychiatrist and therapist. IIRC some people have found bupropion to be helpful with cocaine cravings (don't quite me on that though).

Stress reduction stuff can also be really important. Depending on where you live, mindfulness stuff is becoming more access able in Australia. Likewise there is yoga (not crazy workout yoga, but breath/body work yoga), qigong, tai chi, etc. Whatever helps you tolerate your present moment experience, whether it's cravings or joy.

Sometimes we need to learn how to be okay, especially when okay involves life's everyday mundanity. Especially in early recovery post cocaine habit.

Yeah, very normal. It will get better soon, but at the beginning, sleeping at night can be hard. I'd suggest listening to music, going for walks or drives, taking up a hobby. Find something you're interested at, and just stick with it.
Eventually it will pass and you won't need to go back to that hobby so much or so often.

Hello my friend noonoo,

I just wanted to stop by your thread and tell you how proud I am of you, you're doing an amazing job. I don't have any tips for you but just wanted to swing by and offer my support.

Here for you anytime,
your friend,
Ash.

Congrats on kicking it, I had a problem getting rid of coke as well and know it's difficult. I haven't tutched it almost five years. You have already gotten great advices here, and what really helped me was getting a new hobby. If you can't sleep there is nothing wrong with getting up and go for a walk or preferably a run. Running is great because it kind of pressures yourself to get tired. Sometimes I just ran non stop around the block in the middle of the night looking like a crazy person, and when I was so tired that my mouth was full of blood and my legs didn't work anymore, I went back inside, drank a bottle of water and got in my bed with some music. Good luck, I know you can do it!

My suggestion is to get a medication to help with depression. You're probably self-medicating with cocaine.

You should probably try wellbutrin if you're not a cigarette smoker.