European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

LTC from MDMA? WTF?

F.U.B.A.R.

Bluelight Crew
I've recently been dipping my toes in the tepid waters of the wider Bluelight community, eventually alighting on the MDMA & Empathogenic Drugs subforum.

I'm both intrigued and alarmed at the prevalence of posters reporting this LTC (long-term comedown) phenomenon - often after only minimal use.

What's up here fellas? I've never heard mention on this affliction in EADD at all. I know we all moan about the quality of MDMA these days (though things are looking up on that score) and kids are dropping dead left right and centre, but afaic long term physical and mental issues are relatively unheard of.

Thoughts?

Americans are generally a bunch of whining winge bags.

Hmm, I must admit that was my immediate presumption. However, I've no evidence that the sufferers are exclusively from the US - this is why I'm throwing it out to the European community. If it is UScentric then they may have issues with their locally sourced MDMA.

Heh, in much the same way that stigmata only afflicts the devoutly religious - does LTC only afflict the devoutly stupid? ;)

Joking aside, this seems to be a very real issue for a significant proportion of BL posters. I'm keen to know if this is a cultural phenomenon or just the result of bad drugs.

It's something I've been thinking about as well, I just don't get how it lasts for months on end. My first time I took x on a Saturday and I was still high by Wednesday. I had something like de-realization once - I took some on a Saturday and yeah, I wasn't really "there" for days after, just going through the motions of being normal; I can recall a feeling like I had been dropped into my seat from about 20' up the following Thursday morning about 1000 hours, a full on "woah!" as I suddenly became myself again.

I don't mean to knock anyone's experience but I wonder if some of these posters maybe over think things? Or, is it expectations? I remember hearing that nobody had a bad trip in the 60's until cats heard about bad trips then everyone had one.

I'm wondering if there's a correlation between LTC and the culture of preloading and postloading with frankly ridiculous amounts of supplements. Perhaps all that 5ht and shit that some people feel they have to shovel into their bodies for days before and after a 'roll' is doing more harm than good...

The worst I've ever had In the way of a 'comedown' from proper MDMA, other than fatigue and lack of motivation, is a weird feeling of guilt from being so fuckin happy for a few hours. Also, I once had a week long phobia of snow after watching Titanic on a pill that turned out to be DXM...

Last edited:
See also "Mr Smiley" by Howard Marks.

Can't mention much more without a spoiler, though .....

There is some speculation that "LTC" could actually be mercury poisoning due to unclean product. That could explain why even some first time user seem to have LTC.

It is currently discussed in following thread : http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/791073-What-is-wrong-with-the-MDMA-available-today

Yes, I've been following that thread myself and the following post caught my eye:

' I just tested another batch of white powder (not tan) sold as Ecstasy in Amsterdam and the results are:
77% 2,3-MDP2P Glycidate
8% Methamphetamine HCl
0.6% Dibenzylketone
0.003% Methylmercury !
...and Excipients

Obviously, this will not be consumed.

P.S.
Most likely, this would not even pass the Marquis test.'

I mean WTF?

That's either (more probably) a synthesis gone badly wrong, or an incomplete wash has left behind something which contributed to decomposition of the product. Well, it was already not complete enough to remove the methylmercury, but that doesn't rule out a dodgy synth .....

You might want to save the (intriguing questions) below until after you have read Mr Smiley -- My Last Pill and Testament by Howard Marks:
Howard Marks and a consortium of others bought a large quantity of crates of Ecstasy tablets in the Americas; which turned out, when members began suffering mystery illnesses, to have been contaminated with toxic heavy metal residues resulting from careless storage. The consortium members ended up making a giant bonfire in the Mexican desert; better to take the hit to the pocket than endanger others. I can't believe anybody would ever think differently.

And so, it's time for questions ..... like, Were there more contaminated pills that they did not manage to find and burn? Have more pills got contaminated since then? Does someone else really hate the USA enough to pull the same stunt over again? Really? Hate a country that takes kids away from their parents and locks them up in cages? WTF do you think?

That's either (more probably) a synthesis gone badly wrong, or an incomplete wash has left behind something which contributed to decomposition of the product. Well, it was already not complete enough to remove the methylmercury, but that doesn't rule out a dodgy synth .....

You might want to save the (intriguing questions) below until after you have read Mr Smiley -- My Last Pill and Testament by Howard Marks:
Howard Marks and a consortium of others bought a large quantity of crates of Ecstasy tablets in the Americas; which turned out, when members began suffering mystery illnesses, to have been contaminated with toxic heavy metal residues resulting from careless storage. The consortium members ended up making a giant bonfire in the Mexican desert; better to take the hit to the pocket than endanger others. I can't believe anybody would ever think differently.

And so, it's time for questions ..... like, Were there more contaminated pills that they did not manage to find and burn? Have more pills got contaminated since then? Does someone else really hate the USA enough to pull the same stunt over again? Really? Hate a country that takes kids away from their parents and locks them up in cages? WTF do you think?

Yes, I really must read that book. That's a very interesting (and disconcerting) snippet you've posted there Julie...

I've recently been dipping my toes in the tepid waters of the wider Bluelight community, eventually alighting on the MDMA & Empathogenic Drugs subforum.

Thoughts?

Wtf where you doing there in the first place, it's a long known fact that the citizens of the country most prevalent in posting in said forum have been asking for yonks " I've taken a pill and my head still hurts, add random bullshit, imma fucking die now. This has long been noted.
They should rename that ALTC, people in the uk would call that 'stop being a fucking tosser'....

it's long been known...

btw if you ever see me visiting that forum

Wtf where you doing there in the first place, it's a long known fact that the citizens of the country most prevalent in posting in said forum have been asking for yonks " I've taken a pill and my head still hurts, add random bullshit, imma fucking die now. This has long been noted.
They should rename that ALTC, people in the uk would call that 'stop being a fucking tosser'....

it's long been known...

btw if you ever see me visiting that forum

Mate, I've seen the error of my ways and fled that godforsaken hole.

BTW, I've been trawling that link you posted for the last 12 hours - still not seen any kandi ravers, but who cares... =D

I've noticed this too and even had to confront a user who has been posting in LTC megathread for a long time and has started five threads about his LTC over the BL and everytime he starts a thread he does it like he does that first time and then stops posting to a thread he started.

Last thread was posted in TDS which I mod so I felt I had to confront him about it.

Still waiting what he has to say about his real motives and I hope he doesn't actually suffer from LTC or then I would be a dick.

I've noticed that posts about LTC have started to appear in finnish sites too and most of them contain references to rave culture which doesn't exist here and the term rolling has been translated directly in finnish and no one uses that as a term for being under influence of MDMA.

One YAD leaflet here also had something about LTC but is was clearly translated directly from english to finnish.

For me the whole LTC seems like some kind of conspiracy established by abstinence only people which now has gained popularity by mass hysteria.

It feels something like that myth about MDMA causing holes to your brains that was circulating a long time ago. (My nickname in finnish rave scene is "holebrain" btw because the amount of MDMA people have seen me to consume %))

There is something major league fishy about that pill analysis.

Either the 'chemist' is a complete and total idiot, and thought he could just buy the glycidate and go right to the Al/Hg amalgam reduction, not realizing it needs to undergo a base-mediated hydrolysis/rearrangement first, which gives the ketone (MDP2P), the glycidate is a solid whilst MDP2P is a mobile liquid.

Weird thing is, looks like he didn't try to go to the ketone, and tried to reduce the MDP2P glycidate without rearranging it to M2P2P and then added methamphetamine. Wonder if he realized that he'd made a colossal steaming turd of things and tried to shift the huge twatting mess he'd made anyway by chucking some meth in there.

Damn.Worst shit-covered failed coathanger-abortion I've EVER read. Jesus god, that is...there really are no words to describe what that is.As for the Al/Hg, that is just one more nail in it's coffin, another reason I'll be sticking to NaBH4, LAH, RED-Al etc, preforming imines from ketones, for making secondary/tertiary amines, or hydroxylamine (and mild base such as sodium acetate or potassium carbonate to deprotonate the hydroxylamine salt)to form an intermediate oxime and finally Boveault-Blanc reduction with sodium metal in anhydrous primary alcohol of low molecular weight for reduction of the ketoxime to the amine in the case of any compound having no functional groups incompatible with the conditions of the BB reduction.

Was very interesting, and alarming, to read of the fact that at least on the MDP2P glycidate, not that reaction of the glycidate is of use, its an intermediate to MDP2P, rather than a precursor that can be reduced to MDA/MDMA/MDE directly. But if its doing so in the use of the Al/Hg amalgam when used to reductively aminate MDP2P, P2P, or 1-phenyl-2-beta-nitropropene too, that is a VERY important finding, that must be passed on to certain chemistry forums, where this type of amalgam based reductant scheme and variants of it are frequently and widely used. (Me2)Hg, fucking shit, that is bad news. And it'll stir a shitstorm up at the places that I have in mind for certain members to be made aware of it and pass on the message.

Got the full details of the lab analysis and what techniques were used, their explanations etc.? because the more info from the primary sources I have the better the citation and the stronger the evidence against the Al/Hg.

Would be interested if the poster who sent in the sample could ask the testers for the technical details of the analysis (specifically, type of analytical instrument, be it GC-MS, LC-MS, UV-VIS, NMR, FT-IR, fourier-transform ion cyclotron resonance spectroscopy or whatever else.)

Also if a mass spec technique was used, what carrier gas was used, what the flow rate is, what type of ion source was employed, type of detector, whether the ionization source was running in positive or negative mode, excitation energy, and the raw GC trace and mass spec data, relative to which internal standard was used)

Because I want to see whether the organomercury compound was found present in both a mass spec type analysis of some kind AND a second non-ionizing, non high-temperature analytical technology was used, and if so whether it was found in both, in order to rule out a volatile Hg source like mercuric chloride, aka corrosive sublimate, which easily enters the vapor phase, being the Hg species present in the sample before injection into the GC-MS, and then subsequent radical generation and combination of alkyl radical molecular ions with Hg ions, to generate the organomercury species found as an artifact of analysis due to reactions taking place within the oven of the GC-MS and ionization source. Its important for this to be asked of the testers and the data known, the extent of the danger worked out. Because the toxicity of mercury varies drastically according to the nature of it's form, with elemental, metallic mercury being not too hazardous, its mainly the vapor which causes the danger due to its being inhaled in as fine a state of division, in the gaseous phase, as is possible and as such it is able to enter the body much more easily as mercury vapour than as bulk mercury metal. Then there is mercuric sulfide (cinnabar), the main natural ore of mercury, due to the great affinity of Hg for sulfur, this is as benign a compound of mercury as there is ever likely to be, its not very reactive, its either completely insoluble, or soluble to only the tiniest extent, and often as not it is chunks of rock, so it is really, really not bioavailable either and has no volatility unless heat is applied to roast the powdered ore and distill off the mercury, forming mercury vapour again, the toxicity increases dramatically with soluble salts, which can be much more easily absorbed, with the mercurous [Hg (I)] salts being of significantly lower toxicity than those in the Hg (II) oxidation state (mercuric salts) which are vastly more toxic, mercury (II) salts being the oxidation state of the salts used in preparing aluminium amalgams, and worst of all, there are organomercury compounds, the worst of these being methyl and dimethylmercury, which are volatile, highly lipophilic (fat-soluble) and extremely bioavailable organomercurials, that are absolutely scary lethal.

It is slow to be eliminated from the body, and being so lipophilic, it easily crosses the blood-brain-barrier, in addition, dimethylmercury, due to its very high affinity (mercury does in general) for sulfur, bonds, once it gets into the body to both free cysteine (one of the sulfur-containing, proteinogenic amino-acid) and to peptides and proteins containing a cysteine residue, and this allows the dimethylmercury-peptide or free cysteine complex to mimic another sulfur-containing aminoacid, methionine, and to actually undergo active transport past the blood brain barrier and into the brain. And once there, it is one of the most horrendously cruel, sadistic and noxious poisons going, and not a quick death either, but a long, slow, drawn out agonizing death by torture over many months of the most shockingly unpleasant suffering.

And the stuff is able to penetrate a great many kinds of natural and synthetic polymers and plastics, such as used for gloves, etc., and also to do the same to intact skin, penetrating many kinds of lab gloves within seconds and being absorbed within a minute or two at most into the body.

And when it gets there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niigata_Minamata_disease

That's what it does. 'Nuff said. MeHg and (Me2)Hg are both really, REALLY fucking bad news. There are things I won't work with in the lab, for ANY reason. Nothing anybody could give me, tell me or do for me would ever convince me to work with methyl/dimethylmercury, even with a full NBC suit, uni lab and complete suite of any and all equipment needed. And of those nasties I won't work with, MeHg/(Me2)Hg are right at the top of non-proteinaceous small molecule inorganic toxins (the strict definition of 'organic' is 'contains at least one carbon to carbon bond, rather than 'contains a carbon atom', although many such simple compounds, like methane, carbon tetrachloride, chloroform and the mono/dialkylmercury compounds of that sort are usually spoken of as organic; by the strict definition, dimethylmercury isn't, because the only bonds are carbon-hydrogen and mercury-carbon bonds, in monomethylmercury there is of course only one carbon atom, whilst even though dimethyl mercury possesses two methyl groups, they are each ligated to a central bridging mercury atom)

And as for toxicity, it takes as little as 100 microliters to kill an adult, via dermal absorption, after exposure to dimethylmercury of a doubled up pair of gloves, the (Me2)Hg having penetrated the glove and despite immediately being removed, what got through was enough to kill that scientist, Karen Wetterhahn. just a few tiny droplets, and within a minute or two of landing on her doubly gloved hand, proved enough to sign her death-warrant. Poor bastard, what an awful, awful way to go.

Let's not also forget that if it's Yanks getting this, it's actually difficult and expensive to get real MDMA across the pond. We're spoiled in the UK with Amsterdam right next door. That's not the case in the US. A lot of what gets sold as "MDMA" in the US is actually random RCs mixed with meth. And who the fuck knows what the side effects of those are?

But if someone's only been using lightly I am sceptical of LTC regardless. Those odd potions of supplements don't exactly sound good for you either.

It's weird as when i was buying beans back in the mists of time they were all coming from the states - the first ones were white split calis pure bliss, then yellow pills, pink etc till they started making them this side of the pond. I do remember one night when everyone was on rhubarb and custard cap's and the club was awash with vomit - weird thing was the high was great but something in them made one puke- had them before and after that event and never had the same effect.

LTC's are fucking self perpetual creations from bluelight.

These, mainly American kids do some "molly" then over analyse every micro feeling they experience on a comedown. They then read bluelight and read about these mythical LTCs and this increases their anxiety and stress. This leads to more reading.....more anxiety, throw in some depersonisation, chronic fatigue, depression, brain zaps, sleeping troubles...........read more bluelight...........repeat etc

Basically pre internet days...we just got on with a comedown. The snowflake generation is real.....

LTC's are fucking self perpetual creations from bluelight.

These, mainly American kids do some "molly" then over analyse every micro feeling they experience on a comedown. They then read bluelight and read about these mythical LTCs and this increases their anxiety and stress. This leads to more reading.....more anxiety, throw in some depersonisation, chronic fatigue, depression, brain zaps, sleeping troubles...........read more bluelight...........repeat etc

Basically pre internet days...we just got on with a comedown. The snowflake generation is real.....

^word... ;)