• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Using tramadol to help get through methadone withdrawal

Ugh. I couldn't agree more...i don't get how people booze heavy all day every day either..the thought of that alone grosses me out. I get nasty hangovers that can last for days (the mental depression that follows anyways..) so I don't drink more than 2-3 tops unless its a special occasion or unless I"m eating a lot of food and spacing out my drinks over the course of many hours. It is hard to avoid alcohol since everyone I know likes to socialize over drinks. I'm fortunate that I only have one or two opiate using friends and they're so deep into their addictions that I don't even see them around anymore (I've tried to help..they're not ready, sadly...sigh...). I also smoke weed, as I'm sure you've seen in my thread. Smoking weed kills ope cravings so much. I like weed...but I have been the type to be able to "take it or leave it" in the past...so I feel like as I get through this recovery and my opiate cravings dissipate a bit, I will eventually be able to quit if I need to for a job or something. I'm hoping it'll be legal federally at some point and I won't have to worry about testing poz for thc ever again!

Hope you're having a good weekend, hik!

hik,

Hello my friend! How are you getting along? Have you figured out yet if you have allergies that are causing your GI issues? I know that's been really bothering you, and I hope you've found a resolution. I remember too you were just starting to harvest. How is that going? Are you able to rest when you need to? Does the Trazodone still help you? You had mentioned early on that you had neck issues (bulging discs?) and spinal stenosis. How has that been now that methadone is out of your system?

You know hik, I am really impressed at how strong you've been all this time - good days and bad - you just kept on pushing forward no matter what. I had a feeling you'd get through this from a long time back. I guess I'm a good judge of great character eh! I'm not posting as often as I used to, but I still look in to read your posts and hope you do well. I know you're right about 75 days (plus or minus a few) since you stopped methadone, so if you follow the same track as me, you are feeling a lot better and a lot more often. I sure hope that is the case.

You might remember I had this long standing issue of sneezing attacks. I still get them a few times a day. I don't think this are from withdrawals, but instead from allergies that were suppressed. I sleep all night long every night now. I'm up late tonight, but I will likely sleep in late in the morning. That is such a welcome change. I used to wake up several times a night to go the bathroom while I took methadone, but not anymore - not at all. That makes me wonder if methadone had an irritable prostrate kind of side effect on me. Remember I wrote about me feeling cold all the time long after I felt I was over the withdrawals. I felt it all the time my feet, but I don't feel it anymore at all. Maybe it was part of withdrawals after all?

I have had more pain that I hoped I'd end up with, but I am getting some relief taking Ibuprofen and aspirin (not at the same time). My worst time for pain is when I first wake up and for several hours after. It does affect my quality of life some, but I'm where I want to be given the choices I have. I can stop and rest or lay down when I don't feel my best. The fear of ever going through those withdrawals again is still a very strong opiate deterrent for me.

"It's a good thing that beauty is only skin deep; otherwise I'd be rotten to the core" :)
Your friend,
Dale

Hi hik, (me waving)

Just wanted to stop in and see how you're doing, looks like you're still plugging away nicely, happy to see that!! What have you been up to lately? Hope you're not in any pain.

your friend,
Ash.

Dale, good to see you back. I've been so busy working I pass out at about 9pm (from exhaustion) night so I haven't been posting much. Harvest going great. Corn yields are outstanding considering the heat and dry weather we had in July/August. I'm still taking the trazadone every night and if I have pain I'll take a gabapentin 300mg . I have seroquel also ,but they cause daytime drowsiness and i can't be driving heavy equipment while taking them . My neck still bothers me if I turn around too much carrying loads of grain to the grainery. It's not bad enough that I have to take an opiate, but it's still pretty bad. Ibuprofen helps some. I'm still feeling the depression, lack of motivation and sleep issues (paws),but getting better slowly. I'm done with the physical stuff exept for a sneeze a few times a day . I'm like you , I believe the methadone suppressed the allergies or something. I'm much more sensitive to grain dust this year too. My stomach issues are still present. I'm giving it to 90 days post methadone to schedule the colonoscopy. Its eased up some since taking pro-biotics , but still having enough issues that I know it's time to get the colonoscopy done. I'm dreading it like the plague, but at 40yo it's time.
----- What helped me during my detox phase was seeing that someone else did it and was successful months into it. I read so many horror stories online that I kept saying to myself that I'll just get on suboxone or find a new dr. Once I read your story I knew I would at least try to make it through the WD's. Then once I was at my worst pain I kept saying that if you could do then I could too. I had some very dark days for a couple months . Looking back I really dont see how I did it. I'm not the type that handles pain well so if I can do it others can too.
----- How was you visit with your brother? I remember a few weeks back you mentioned going fo a visit .

------ Ash, I'm doing as good as I can . The 12hr days at work are tough, but at least I can get decent sleep now . I've been watching some weekend college football and doing some bbq'ing to feed our friends that come and watch Tennessee Vols play . They aren't doing too good ,but its still fun . How's the weather up there ? I bet its getting cool .

Last edited:
Hi hik,

Just like you, I also read those horror stories about withdrawals while I searched for something helpful. I'm really glad that you were helped by what I wrote - thank you for the boost. Still, no matter how I did it, it was your own willpower that got you through it. Now, both of our stories are here for those who find BL and are feeling a little lost. Be proud of yourself - you have gone through this with grace.

I mentioned I've had a colonoscopy done twice. It's not as bad as it sounds, especially if they give you a sedative like they normally do. They do the exam very quickly and you've covered with a sheet hopefully. I've been using ibuprofen too, but I've noticed after I take it, that anything I eat afterwards burns in my esophagus as it goes down to my stomach. At first, I didn't put the two together, but I'm sure it's doing it and I even suspect it's causing "semi-runs." I don't normally have any issue with that, but I have since I started ibuprofen. Maybe it's causing your GI issues? Can you get by without taking it for a few days to see if things improve?

My visit with my brother was great. It was so good to see him and his family. We spent a lot of time together and had a great time. His family was really nice to me. I found out today that they are coming here to see me and my sister for the Thanksgiving holiday. My sister and I live close to each other. My brother lives 380 miles away.

Your friend,
Dale

za7wx.jpg

Hey guys and girls, I just thought I'd update on some things. I've been having severe left abdominal pain , like pain level 9-10 . I was working hard and thought it was pancreatitis. With my intestines issues I thought i was sure of it . Yesterday the pain hit again and I went to the ER . They did the CTscan contrast (dye) and found 2 kidney stones on my left side. The pain was terrible and the freaking er doctor gave Toradol for my first 2hrs in the exam room. After the scan results came back she ordered a dose of dilaudid iv . I thought it was supposed to knock me out ,but I really never felt it. They sent me home with two 5mg hydrocodone and a script for 6 more. The stones have either ceased moving or in my bladder. I have to use a strainer when I pee to know if I pass them. If not passed by Wed I will have to set up a appt to get them removed via basket or lithotripsy (sound waves). I know this is an inconvenient time for opiate treatment, but in this case was most definitely needed . I just hope I dont get WDs after 2 days of use . I've survived methadone WD ,so I'm sure a couple days of hydro's will be a walk in the park in comparison.

Hi hik,

Well at least the hospital knows what they're doing in your case. I had both basket removal and lithotripsy, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

The pain from the stones is pretty killer, more so when you're passing them, so be glad for the pain meds and don't worry at all.

Big hugs, this too shall "pass". Lol. Get it? I know right? Boo!!! But it's so fitting!! ; )

Love and support my dear friend,
Ash.

Hi hik,

Well at least the hospital knows what they're doing in your case. I had both basket removal and lithotripsy, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

The pain from the stones is pretty killer, more so when you're passing them, so be glad for the pain meds and don't worry at all.

Big hugs, this too shall "pass". Lol. Get it? I know right? Boo!!! But it's so fitting!! ; )

Love and support my dear friend,
Ash.
It's been about 18 years since my last kidney stones. When I was drinking well water (highly calcified) I had them about once a year . I had the lithotripsy and the basket also . Both are extremely painful, but the lithotripsy caused unbearable spasms . I also hated the stints with passion also. Seeing a doctor pull a long white tube from your pee hole is about as scary as it gets. The ER dr gave me Flowmax to help dilate my ureter also. This drug makes pee flow like a horse pissing. It has bad side effects ,but I'll do anything at this point to get the sucker's out . "This too shall pass" , I remember a smart man posting that not long ago ,lol

Oct 06 2018:

Hi hik, I hope your kidney stone problem is better.

2hh3hqw.jpg

Your friend,
Dale

Yes , I passed it last Wednesday. That sucker was terrible for about 36 hours then once it got in my bladder it caused painful spasms that luckily stopped after I took AZO bladder pills . I sent it for an analysis. It was black on one side and reddish orange on the other . I've had 6 stones in my life and this one was the longest lasting pain I've had so far. Ive had the basket removal and lithotripsy years ago. This is what got me started on opiates. I only took the hydrocodone for about 48 hrs . They didnt turn me on like they used to or the pain was so severe that I didnt feel them much. I'm 90 days today methadone and opiate free. Only thing I take now is trazodone and gabapentin at night. I took lexapro for a week and they messed my sleep pattern up so bad I couldn't get 1 or 2 hours of sleep on them .I'm glad I discontinued them because my depression is getting better now.

You were right about 90 days ,no physical WD at all . I still have a lack of motivation and it's hard sometimes trying to concentrate on book work ,but I'm miles ahead of where I was just a month ago. I'm still dealing with paws and probably will be for a while. Im dealing with it the best I can . Working 12hour days is very tough ,but it's better than laying around dwelling. I still have sneezing attacks a few times a day,but it may be from all the dust this time of year.

Thanks for checking in on me. How are you making it ?

Hi hik,

I'm glad to hear your kidney stone has passed. I guess I'm lucky that I've only had kidney stones twice in my life years back, but I remember the pain from it. Black and reddish orange stone eh? I wonder if you might have created a pearl if it had stayed in a while longer.

I'm especially glad to hear about you no longer having any physical WD's! I hate to admit it, but I still have sneezing attacks every day. I doubt it's anything to do with WD's, but instead from allergies. Thinking back about the WDs I had, I honestly now feel as good as if I never had withdrawals, so I'm doing pretty good. I always feel more energy and motivation if I push myself to get exercise every day. I'd probably feel pretty crummy if I was putting in 12 hour work days. If you can get through those every day, I think you are doing better than me.

I went out drinking for my birthday, so I took a bus home.
That might not seem like a big deal to you,
but I've never driven a bus before :)

Your friend,
Dale

Sure you can use tramadol to combat methadone withdrawals, but you will end up swapping the witch for the bitch and finish with a tramadol habit.

Hi hik,

I'm glad to hear your kidney stone has passed. I guess I'm lucky that I've only had kidney stones twice in my life years back, but I remember the pain from it. Black and reddish orange stone eh? I wonder if you might have created a pearl if it had stayed in a while longer.

I'm especially glad to hear about you no longer having any physical WD's! I hate to admit it, but I still have sneezing attacks every day. I doubt it's anything to do with WD's, but instead from allergies. Thinking back about the WDs I had, I honestly now feel as good as if I never had withdrawals, so I'm doing pretty good. I always feel more energy and motivation if I push myself to get exercise every day. I'd probably feel pretty crummy if I was putting in 12 hour work days. If you can get through those every day, I think you are doing better than me.

I went out drinking for my birthday, so I took a bus home.
That might not seem like a big deal to you,
but I've never driven a bus before :)

Your friend,
Dale

The stone is probably calcium oxalate and uric acid. If insurance didnt pay I probably wouldn't have sent it off for analysis . It was crazy looking for sure .

That's great to hear that your energy level is back . The exercise and pushing yourself to do stuff does make a difference. Hopefully I'll get my full pep back soon . I've read where it can take 6 months to a year to be "normal" . Your approaching 6 months and you seem to be doing great . This gives me hope that my PAWS will be gone by then.

------- imma bee , I just used the Tramadol for a couple of weeks to take the edge off WD's. I did have the brain zaps after I stopped. I was in such agony from the methadone withdrawal that I dont really know how much it helped . I was on a very low dose ,so a larger dose may be the key . You're right about trading one addiction for another.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say hello hik.

Wow, you have been through alot. So glad you're out of the woods w methadone, your ticket bight illness AND the kidney stones.Sheesh!! Like methadone w/d wasn't more than enough.

It has to be such a relief to be on the other side. Well done. :)

Just wanted to say hello hik.

Wow, you have been through alot. So glad you're out of the woods w methadone, your ticket bight illness AND the kidney stones.Sheesh!! Like methadone w/d wasn't more than enough.

It has to be such a relief to be on the other side. Well done. :)

Thanks for checking in . I definitely had a terrible day that Saturday at the emergency room .I broke down crying while i was waiting on the dr to come in . I felt I've done good to this point and then I get severe pain that will require strong pain meds . I knew I would have to take some pain meds for a couple of days and really didnt want any WD's . Luckily they only gave me 6 norco 5mg pills. The addict in me kept saying " go to the follow up appt and get the stronger stuff" ,but I resisted. After 2 days on the norco I noticed Monday that I had a lot of post nasal drip and a bit of rls Monday night. Tuesday morning it was all gone and I felt fine again. I would call them "micro withdrawal ".

Thanks again for stopping by

I was clean for a year and a half (about 3yrs ago). The first slip for me was taking 3 5mg Percocet. I actually went through some withdrawal from them.

I thought "this can't be possible - it has to be in my head" I had restless body syndrome.

I was reading one of the megathreads here on BL and by chance came across the term "kindling" That's exactly what happened.

Being that I was on opiates for a long time - and had such a high tolerance- it would take about 5yrs for my brain receptors to completely heal. So, Everytime I took opiates it was like ripping the scabs off of my receptors. Sorry for the bad example lol.

Yes it was like a micro w/d at first. Not as intense, but still uncomfortable. You are very wise not to go get more meds. I've learned, I can't ever casually take opiates. I know someone who was clean for 35yrs. (35yrs!) -who had a relapse and is now on methadone and using IV fentynal. That's sobering!

Glad you're on the right track hik.

Hi hik,

Just checking in to see how you're doing post kidney removal/ablation.

Thinking of you my friend, post an update when you're up to it please.
Love, Ash.

Hi hik,

Just checking in to see how you're doing post kidney removal/ablation.

Thinking of you my friend, post an update when you're up to it please.
Love, Ash.
I actually passed it naturally thankfully . It was 3mm wide and 5mm long. I measured it with my micrometer, lol. I'm definitely drinking more citric acid drinks now . I'm still waiting on my analysis to come back to tell me if it was calcium oxalate or uric acid .

I'm still methadone free. Today is 94 days to be exact. I'm still unmotivated and low energy, but way better than I was . I was warned by my physician that this would be a long haul. I can work all day and still have enough energy to do minor chores when I get home . I usually go to sleep in my recliner at 9:30 because I'm so tired from work. Sleep is pretty good. I wish I could nap and sleep in late , but I'm happy to get 8hrs in . I'm only taking gabapentin and trazodone now ,besides my weekend social drinks . I hope can continue to stay opiate free . I do have cravings, but I'm gonna try my hardest to keep clean.
Thankyou for cheering us up on here ,your friend hik

Good to hear you're doing so well on both accounts hik.

Glad your stone passed naturally though that's not much fun either. I remember well. ; )

Happy 94 days!!! Much love and support to you my dear friend.

Here for you anytime,
Ash.

I actually passed it naturally thankfully . It was 3mm wide and 5mm long. I measured it with my micrometer, lol. I'm definitely drinking more citric acid drinks now . I'm still waiting on my analysis to come back to tell me if it was calcium oxalate or uric acid .

I'm still methadone free. Today is 94 days to be exact. I'm still unmotivated and low energy, but way better than I was . I was warned by my physician that this would be a long haul. I can work all day and still have enough energy to do minor chores when I get home . I usually go to sleep in my recliner at 9:30 because I'm so tired from work. Sleep is pretty good. I wish I could nap and sleep in late , but I'm happy to get 8hrs in . I'm only taking gabapentin and trazodone now ,besides my weekend social drinks . I hope can continue to stay opiate free . I do have cravings, but I'm gonna try my hardest to keep clean.
Thankyou for cheering us up on here ,your friend hik