• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Using tramadol to help get through methadone withdrawal

Thanks aihfl and ash , I feel the corticosteroids crash today . Those things are weird. When you first take them they make you feel tired ,but sleepless, then the next day your jittery, then the crash comes about 36hrs later. Today I'm somnolent and lazy . If my sleeping wasnt messed up already I bet I could sleep 12 hrs straight, oh do I miss my sleep .

I hope you have a great sleep tonight hik,

hugs,
Ash

Thanks aihfl and ash , I feel the corticosteroids crash today . Those things are weird. When you first take them they make you feel tired ,but sleepless, then the next day your jittery, then the crash comes about 36hrs later. Today I'm somnolent and lazy . If my sleeping wasnt messed up already I bet I could sleep 12 hrs straight, oh do I miss my sleep .

Ash , I hope everyone suffering insomnia has a great night . I never knew how debilitating it can be until now.

Ash , I hope everyone suffering insomnia has a great night . I never knew how debilitating it can be until now.
I've been an insomniac for as long as I can remember, ever since I was very young. I would stay up most of the night reading and my dad would see the light from under my door and come and yell at me about how I was running up the electric bill. When I got to college it never occurred to me I could get medicated for it, I just self-medicated with alcohol. Same with anxiety and panic attacks. It worked until it didn't work anymore. Glad I have an understanding psychiatrist that isn't afraid to prescribe me meds that actually help instead of the usual, "You're an addict, I can't give you that," BS.

Aihfl , the trazadone just isn't cutting it. It sure puts me to sleep ,but only for a few hrs . I've jumped my dose up to 200mg and it still wears off quick . I may see what my dr recommends next. I really don't want a benzo habit so I may see about Ambien or Lunesta . Any other suggestions from SL folks???

I have the same experience with traz. It just stops working after taking it a number of nights in a row. If 200mg isn't knocking you out, something is wrong. Here are some other options I've had direct experience with:

- Mirtazapine (tetracyclic antidepressant) - mirtazapine helps with sleep onset and I used to take it with doxepin, which helps you stay asleep. I can't take doxepin anymore because of its interaction with Adderall
- Doxepin (tricyclic antidepressant)
- Hydroxyzine (antihistamine)
- Ambien (nonbenzodiazepine sedative hypnotic) - I recently started Ambien and it is a wonder drug. I'm out fast, and I stay out and I haven't done any weird shit like waking up behind the wheel in a fast food parking lot. It does pose dependency risks like a benzo, so I alternate it with trazodone occasionally. In the interests of full disclosure, it is a Schedule IV controlled substance.

None of the first three meds pose any dependency risks. There's also quetiapine, an antipsychotic, but it can be rather unpleasant. It is effective though. I got it once in a hospital.

Hi hik, thinking of you and I hope you're sleeping better? If not, when do you see your doctor again? Aihfl gave you some good suggestions too I see.

I hope you're having a great day!!
Hugs,
Ash.

Hi hik, thinking of you and I hope you're sleeping better? If not, when do you see your doctor again? Aihfl gave you some good suggestions too I see.

I hope you're having a great day!!
Hugs,
Ash.

Ashley, I'm going at 9:30 in the morning. I'm getting a full executive panel done and done extra test to check for my gut problem then I'll talk to the dr about better sleep meds . I had a yeast attack on my mouth yesterday and took a diflucan and it helped it . I also swell like a balloon from water weight taking steroids. Today I've finally felt like I did pre-allergic reaction.
----- I hadn't been too active on SL
recently because we have been busy working. Its harvest season and things are getting busy very fast. Energy wise , I can drive all day , but i still tire easy doing manual work.

I have the same experience with traz. It just stops working after taking it a number of nights in a row. If 200mg isn't knocking you out, something is wrong. Here are some other options I've had direct experience with:

- Mirtazapine (tetracyclic antidepressant) - mirtazapine helps with sleep onset and I used to take it with doxepin, which helps you stay asleep. I can't take doxepin anymore because of its interaction with Adderall
- Doxepin (tricyclic antidepressant)
- Hydroxyzine (antihistamine)
- Ambien (nonbenzodiazepine sedative hypnotic) - I recently started Ambien and it is a wonder drug. I'm out fast, and I stay out and I haven't done any weird shit like waking up behind the wheel in a fast food parking lot. It does pose dependency risks like a benzo, so I alternate it with trazodone occasionally. In the interests of full disclosure, it is a Schedule IV controlled substance.

None of the first three meds pose any dependency risks. There's also quetiapine, an antipsychotic, but it can be rather unpleasant. It is effective though. I got it once in a hospital.
Thanks for the info aihfl, I've been busting my butt working and I fell asleep last night while updating after being exhausted from work(2 sweet hrs of sleep). I've talked to my nurse about my sleep meds and she agrees with you about how trazodone wearing off fast . The ambien seems good , but I'll need to be careful and not take it too often . Last night I didn't take the trazadone and got 4 hrs of sleep, so it seems my sleep is coming back.

I hope this makes you all smile.

;) Dale

Haha , that guy looks like his balls are in a vise. I have some good videos, but I have mobile only because we cant get real internet here because we are so rural. I have 4gLTE , but no broadband, welcome to Tennessee, lol .I've tried the desktop instructions on how to post videos for android, but it just pastes a bunch of commands instead of the video . I can post a link , but I understand most people don't trust a link.

^ Hik, if you post a link I'll fix it so the video shows up.

Ok here's my test video . It's a comedy skit out of Canada . Edit --- in mobile use desktop mode to copy link

Last edited:
hi. im.new on here and looking for some adviice with regards to methadone withdrawals. I got stable on 40ml a couple of years ago amd then slowly reduced down to 20ml amd got stable on that for a couple of months. then I reduced 2ml a fortnight until reaching 14ml and then reduced quickly 1ml a day for a fortnight. I didnt feel really bad until getting down to 3ml or so. by this point people started telling me how well I had done and I had broken its back. then I got really poorly. I stopped altogether abput a week ago and I still feel terrible. after reading this thread I feel sick at the prospect of feeling like this for several more weeks.

oh and im taking nothing but paracetemol and ibuprofen. the doc gave us a couple.of weeks worth of zopiclone to help sleep but they are all gone now. all I want to do is go out and score but I dont have contacts anymore or money so I guess thats a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least you did taper. I was in 130mg then over 7 months I tapered to 20mg . You may not have it as bad as me because I was on it for 18years. I cant imagine how bad it would be if going cold Turkey at 130mg . At 45 days free I still feel depressed and low energy, but the acute WD's are over . Sleep is still a big issue and I just got a rx of seroquel to help me through the night longer. Trazodone helps some ,but it wore off pretty quickly for me. You will probably need some imodium also for a week or two. I'm gonna be out of our cellular zone till Sunday so if you have any questions then hold tight.

Hi hik,
Just thought I'd pop by and see if you're sleeping a little better now? How is your weekend going?

Hugs,
Ash.

Ash , I got some seroquel from my dr . Funny thing is my I've slept better the last 2 nights and haven't taken anything. I got my lab results from my dr and they were perfect across the board. I still have one test (stool) not back so I'll find out that one Monday. I have a bit of piece of mind about my organ function now . My dr thinks the diarrhea is still left over from WDs . I dont think so at almost 50 days , but who knows.

Quick update . I've been busy working I haven't had much time to update. I'm on day 52 and still have lingering PAWS . The worst symptoms are the depression and lack of motivation still. I also still have a slight sinus drainage and occasionally sneezing. I keep telling myself this will end soon , but it's not. I guess I'm gonna be one of the folks that will still be in withdrawals at 3 months +. That's what 130mg for 18 years and a 7 month taper will get you . I do have days that are better and I feel more motivated, but since last week I've felt pretty low down . I'm about desperate enough to start an SSRI. I know if I start those the sleep will go to hell in a hand bag . I'm sleeping too good now to mess it up.

Hik, SSRIs are not the horror story they're often made out to be here on BL. Celexa was life changing when I started it and I managed to rack up 18 months after starting it. When you don't feel like shit about yourself and the world around you, the need to use (and drink, in my case) were gone.

Aihfl , that's great advice. I'm gonna give it till my day 60 sober to make the decision. I'm back on trazadone now for depression. Last week at my dr appt I talked to my dr about SSRI's and he said to give the trazadone another try. I remember I took lexapro years ago and it helped my depression, but created insomnia . It's kinda like a balance scale (sleep/depression) .