• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Heroin Withdrawal help ):

Y3rleftnut

Greenlighter
Need to be clean from heroin by the end of next week due to probation and just need to stop this nonsense and get my life in order. I don?t have any suboxones or benzodiazepines so can?t really count on that. I will have off July 3rd 4th and 5th from my full time job so plan to start detox the 2nd. I have access to Kratom. I do about 1 - 2 bundles a day of ecp. I?ve been doing dope for about a year and before that oxy for a year and before that I cold turkeyed from about 4mg suboxone that I was on for 2 and 1/2 years. Managed to stay clean for a few months then relapsed on oxy. How bad is my dope withdrawal going to be compared to the sub withdrawal I went through which was like 14 days of hell? And should I hold off from Kratom until I have to go back to work on the 6th of July ? More worried about getting though my labor job during the day and getting sleep at night I can handle most symptoms just not the fatigue and no sleep. What should I do guys. . . Should I taper a little after my last binge this Friday ? I?m scared as hell that I won?t be able to make it through work in that kind of state /: just need some support. Been reading this forum for about two years this will Be like my first time actually posting. Thanks for reading hope somone can offer some kind of postivite outlook on this shitty ordeal

Tapering is always smart. The kratom will help but it's going to be rough. You have a big habit. It will be over much faster then Suboxone though. Probably only last 5-7 days with day 4 being the worst.

Good morning Y3,

I hope the opiate withdrawal won't be too bad for you, it's good that you have the first few days off from work and tapering is also good. People on here do say Kratom has helped them so at least you have that. Honestly? I think you will be fine.

This is a good thing you're doing. I'm here for support so pm me if you need to,
Proud of you, you can do this and we will help you!!!

Your friend,
Ash.

Sooo how should I go about tapering heroin ? I plan on getting my reg fix Friday (pay day ) and maybe a extra bun on top of it to do a quick taper with... usually it takes like 3 bags to get me ok enough to function so should I just take enough to just feel ok and reduce from there ? I know dope isn?t consistent but that?s really all I have to work with besides Kratom. I also suspect the potency of the dope I?ve been getting latly isn?t too good maybe 7 bags brings about some euphoria but never a nod where as last Friday I got some amazing stuff that had me nodding hard off pretty much one bun. . . And as far as the Kratom I don?t want to really prolong anything I just want to be able to function at work and get somewhat sleep at night until the ride is over. Thank you so much ash that post literally made me smile. Everyone I know is in the dark about this whole thing so I?ve felt really alone with this ordeal and it?s been wearing on me latly becuse I don?t have anyone to go to for support. The detox part is the hardest for me once I?m out of the woods it?s easy to say no I?ve just been pretty much putting this whole thing off because I need to function daily and it?s super hard when withdrawaling. I only ever have off Sunday?s and tuesdays so it?s never 2 consecutive days where I can just chill out and focus on myself so I?m looking forward to having a few days off next week. Thanks again guys seriously

Ya man When I try and taper off heroin it's usually just how things are in the moment. I'll try and do as little as possible during the day and save it for the night. Reason being that you want your body notnin full withdrawal when you sleep so you can sleep. Then hit a little in the morning and then try and hold off till afternoon and then night time and reducing each amount as much as you can. The idea is to do some when you can start feeling your body go into withdrawal. But ya your right there isn't alot of info on tapering. I used meth one time to get off heroin which seemed to work pretty well.

Yeah crack works amazing. One hit and I am so busy looking for what I am 100% sure I dropped that I forget all about withdrawals. And then re-upping every 5 to 10 minutes. Like 500 crack hits and you will be through the withdrawals. (OF COURSE THIS IS AN INSANE IDEA AND IS MADE IN JEST!!!)

^^^^^^bwahahahaa^^^^^^^€€
i did use a lil adderall and maybe a lil go fast for energy after it was mainly over but I couldn’t imagine smoking readies through the course of wds!!!

It?s funny you guys say that?s becuse I?ve used adderall and meth both to detox from heroin in the past painlessly but unfortunately relapsed after each time. I just recently tried to do it again with adderall but for some reason it just made everything worse. Was pretty much laying in bed tweaked out but like had no energy to do anything. I then tried it again with meth and had the same results and I couldn?t figure out why it wasn?t working anymore lol but I figured getting off one hard drug with another just harms the body more than it helps so I ditched the whole idea and figured I?d go with Kratom this time around since it has helped me in a pinch before. By the way I snort I don?t shoot dope so I don?t know if that?s gonna help any in regards to using Kratom to get thru my work day and get some rest at night. And thanks legal I figured that was my best option as far as tapering but your right there?s not too much info on that topic because it?s very hard for most to not just say fuck it and do their whole stash. I?m guilty of doing that myself lol but this time around I have a lot to lose so I know I can harness the self control to Just do enough to function and not seek bliss. And omg lol crack definitely has never helped me !!! Maybe for like 10 seconds I felt relief but I was jittery as hell and super fatigued but I guess if you have a nice big stash of the stuff to constantly hit the pipe I can see how that would help lololol. My co worker gets some good soft and ive done some of that at work on days I couldn?t get d but even that helped for maybe 15 min then I felt shittier than I did before I did the white

I?m just really hoping Kratom can soften the come down. I don?t want to trade addictions by any means so I only plan on doing some on my work days/nights for some kind of sleep but I?m still nervous as hell its not going to work for me considering I?ve been stuck on doing like 1-2 buns a day for a good 3 months now /: . If anyone has any other ideas for my situation feel free to share. I?m definitely going to need you guys on this forum to talk to after this Friday. Like I?ve said before everyone close in my life is in the dark and I don?t plan on telling anyone becuse I will let too many people down with my problem. /:

what are the chances of getting comfort meds from a new doctor? My childhood doc is now a addiction doctor and Long gone from my area and his old office is now run by doctors that refuse to give anything out except hydroxyzine which does not do a damn thing for me. . . . I?m really bugging out about getting thru this while trying to maintain my normal life and don?t have the luxury of taking many days off /: sorry for the long and frequent posts just a lot going on in my mind and don?t know what the hell to do right now /:

I live just outside philly by the way idk if anyone close by knows a thing or two about how they treat addicts in this general area since it kind of is a high risk opiate area ... I don?t look or act like a junkie by any means either but still I don?t want to be labeled as a drug seeker or anything for just seeking comfort meds to get thru this

OP, pretty much what cj said above.

Re finding a doctor, it's tough on short notice. If you're in an area with a needle exchange service (you can try looking any up through the Harm Reduction Coalition site) and see if they can get you in touch with a low cost/free clinic to help you get through the acute withdrawal.

If you can't find any resources through the HRC site, let me know and I'll see if I can't whip something else up for where you're located. Frustrating thing is there are lots of resources and people able/willing to help people get through heroin withdrawal, it's just that they can be hard to find without knowing what to look for.

I mean, any doctor worth their license will quickly realize there is ZERO reason not to help you through withdrawal by prescribing clonidine and gabapentin at a minimum.

Moving on to what you can expect from your upcoming kick...

You're in for a real shitty week. Frankly if I were you I'd get some DXM, as that always worked a hell of a lot better than kratom to come off a heroin habit of your size. There are a lot of caveats using something like DXM for this, so please ask before making any plans to try that.

With the kratom, it will help but it won't work as well as proper comfort meds. Anything but high quality/potency kratom is going to barely make a difference. Probably will need to dose 2-3 times a day.

Don't start dosing too high though, as getting sick from kratom while kicking heroin seems almost as bad as a horrible hangover while kicking heroin. Sounds like you only have very limited experience with kratom before this?

It would be highly unlikely for you to become dependent on kratom if you're only taking it for 1-2 weeks. The acute withdrawal from the heroin (glad to hear its only intranasal, as 2 bundles/day IV would suck quite a bit more) is going to peak around day 3-5, and mostly have begun subsiding by day 6-8. Some symptoms with probably hang around until week two, but they'll be much less intense.

Compared to your experience with buprenorphine, the symptoms from this heroin kick will come on faster, be more intense, but peak and fade away noticeably faster too.

Yeah crack works amazing. One hit and I am so busy looking for what I am 100% sure I dropped that I forget all about withdrawals. And then re-upping every 5 to 10 minutes. Like 500 crack hits and you will be through the withdrawals. (OF COURSE THIS IS AN INSANE IDEA AND IS MADE IN JEST!!!)

Actually a lot of people do find amphetamines really helpful to get through withdrawal. I generally hate them regardless, but the few times I've been sick and needed to function I was amazed how much a small dose of methampetamine helped me function. I'm not suggesting it's a good idea, but it is a trick that's helped a lot of people out there.

Crack or cocaine on the other hand, that sounds like a horrible idea. Especially crack. That would be a really easy way to induce psychosis or get into some serious fucking trouble, getting all geeked out AND enduring acute heroin withdrawal without comfort meds.

For some reason amphetamine salts and d-amp (as well as other non-cocaine stims) always made me feel like crap when in opioid withdrawal. Don't know why methamp was different from me. Even though it worked to keep me functional I didn't like using methamp to kick though. I'd rather not have to be functional and just cold turkey than use methamp, but then again I'd rather use a lot of other meds than methamp to detox from opioids.

I don't remember where I'm going with this...

Last edited by a moderator:
Please inform me how to use dxm in my situation I?m open to anything that may help. And as far as getting help I don?t know if I live near a needle exchange I?ve looked for help in the past but always turned up unsuccessful but I?m totally open to it if I am able to even find a place.

Would an outpatient treatment center be equipped to give me comfort meds ? I really don?t want to go back to the suboxone route and I hear horror stories with methadone but that?s all I see when looking into these places. I?m on Medicaid and there?s a few places near me that I can look into for support but again I just want a somewhat smooth transition off of dope. I know no matter what it won?t be painless unfortunately

I had a big shipment of all sorts of "stuff" arrive from Lehore, Pakistan not too long after September 11th. Trying to detox does not always induce the sanest thinking patterns. There are ambulatory detoxes (outpatient) that probably utilize some regimen of comfort meds. I do know a handful of opiate addicts that have gotten a Vivitrol shot just to force withdrawals knowing that the only time they have been able to get clean is when they are in handcuffs. They chose chemical handcuffs.

Please inform me how to use dxm in my situation I?m open to anything that may help.

Have you ever used dissociatives (ketamine, PCP, DXM, MXE, etc) before?

No luck finding a location near me on that harm reduction site you sent me dog /:

Even if you don't have a local exchange, it would still be worth is calling one of the major ones in Philly to ask about suggestions for local service providers/doctors who are sympathetic to supporting people get through withdrawal and in your situation.

Would an outpatient treatment center be equipped to give me comfort meds ? I really don?t want to go back to the suboxone route and I hear horror stories with methadone but that?s all I see when looking into these places. I?m on Medicaid and there?s a few places near me that I can look into for support but again I just want a somewhat smooth transition off of dope. I know no matter what it won?t be painless unfortunately

It's not very easy to find the kind of treatment I prosed through an outpatient program. However, it sounds like an extended detox (3-6 months of tapering basically) using buprenorphine would be helpful for transitioning off heroin in your situation.

If you get desperate or finding a burpenorphine provider is too much of a pain, methadone clinics off a six months extended detox that works quite well.

You don't need to get back on buprenorphine/methadone full time to get through withdrawal. With an extended detox, which is almost entirely a taper itself, its quite manageable to get off the ORT meds.

Of course, the bigger question is how you'll manage post detox. Getting off heroin isn't actually that hard, all things considered (sucks, yet, but is't not the most difficult process either). It's staying off heroin that's a lot more challenging. In this regard, an IOP - especially that uses buprenorphine or methadone - is actually a very wise choice. At the very least, it'll give you time to figure out how you can structure your life moving forward to better avoid falling back into the trap of heroin use.

Never used disaccosiatives before , and eventho I?m hearing all these horror stories about methadone and experiencd suboxone withdrawal before your saying it won?t be as bad as when I got off suboxone previously since it?s a more structured taper eventho id be on it for a few months? I have a very active life so I feel like I will be able to handle life after the withdrawal since if I use again I?d violate probation and lose everything practically so I?m almost certain in my heart once I?m out of this trap I won?t fall back into it becuse I will cut off all sources and means of getting it after that point

Would I be able to function at work on dxm? I?m a mechanic so I don?t want to be like totally tripping balls and get myself injured lol

Yeah, you won't be able to function on DXM, especially if you aren't already familiar with dissos.

If you could stay home and chill for two weeks, taking DXM at 150-400mg twice a day for a week (which will basically get rid of most of heroin withdrawal's acute symptoms (insomnia is still an issue though)), and then use the second week to recover from the afterglow. But having to go to work, interact with people, and perform tasks that require delicate motor control, no. Not happening with DXM unless you take much smaller doses.

There is some research that indicates a dose of 60-90mg DXM + clonidine is still really helpful for acute heroin withdrawal, but again I wouldn't even consider doing something like driving after taking DXM. We have had at least one BLer I know of who used DXM to get through withdrawal, made the mistake of driving and got in a nasty couple DUIs.

Finding a buprenorphine prescriber/program sounds like your best bet.