View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Salvia Mohavensis

Anonymous Dissident

Bluelighter
I've been getting to know all the "entheogens" native to my region, with much success, especially with the sages and delosperma cooperi.

Salvia Mohavensis is one of the least common indiginous plants with rumored psychoactivety, but noone has any 1st person experiences. Noone has any idea what form the supposed to be. If strong scent and high resin content correlate,as is the case with S. Nemorosa,to psychoactivety, this is a plant worth investigating.

I was recently fortunate enough to come into both flowers and foliage, but am holding off on an assay for the time being due to the dearth of information on it's phytochemical content. If anyone can provide any info, 1st person or otherwise, I would beseech you to share it!

I will provide updates as I gather info and give it a go.

Last edited:
I'd never heard of it but I'm really interested so let me know if it works.

Are you going to try to smoke it or make a tea?

And have you ever tried Nemorosa and if so, does it work and how does it compare to regular Salvia, cause I'm curious about that too since I am a big fan of Salvia Divinorum.

On a sort of unrelated note, probably like 6 years ago or some shit I bought some Intoxicating Mint from a reliable vendor but for some reason I never made tea out of it, and now I know it is somewhere in my closet and I should find it and make a tea and try it, but I'm figuring it would have gone bad by now.

Anyone have any guess as to whether or not a plant like that in a relatively sealed zip lock bag would be worthless after 5 or 6 years?

Who knows right?

I mean if it was weed it would be shit by now.

I have always been fascinated by the stuff and wanted to know if it worked and I never even tried it. What a waste.

If it's gone bad I should buy some more.

Two other herbs that have been rumored to be somewhat psychoactive are Scotch Broom and Coleus.

Anyone ever try those either?

You'll get a better response if this is moved to psychedelic drugs. I'm interested in this though - I'm assuming this is one of the new European (?) species containing Salvinorin A?

Which country are you from, if you don't mind my asking?

I'd recommend first trying an extract using water, then 50:50 H2O:ETOH then 100% ethonal extract, and finally something like acetone or naptha then taking half of what's left and using the solvent that wasn't use to attempt to filter further before maybe even attempting A/B or STB extraction. Then if you can sending each batch in for a GC-MS analysis to see how each extraction affected the end result and if that's not possible titrate slowly as Shulgin would have.

@ Tranced: Southwest U.S.

Salvia Nemorosa is very active. I prefer to smoke an ~10x extract of the flowers. The effects are similar to a few hits of schwag, a low dose of codeine, and a little Ativan all at once, but different. That is in line with what one would expect, given it's phytochemical make-up.

Quidding leaves and flowers are effective. If I'm quidding, I like the pre-flower spires. They are the most potent and taste a bit sweet.

It really works well to potentiate the effects of many substances, but is good on it's own too.

Last edited:
I'd recommend first trying an extract using water, then 50:50 H2O:ETOH then 100% ethonal extract, and finally something like acetone or naptha then taking half of what's left and using the solvent that wasn't use to attempt to filter further before maybe even attempting A/B or STB extraction. Then if you can sending each batch in for a GC-MS analysis to see how each extraction affected the end result and if that's not possible titrate slowly as Shulgin would have.
I plan to begin my trials with unenhanced material. I also have an insuffectient supply to do much in terms of extracts. If I get any positive effects, I'll buy a few to plant amongst the other sages in my garden. I'll have more to work with and will perform a few extractions

Might as well obtain then and extract them IMO

Then try making tea and if you have anything left over make a tincture using alcohol with water via a long slow extraction without heat in a dark alright space just because you don't know how sensitive the alkaloids are. You could even just collect the tea remnants and add them to the extraction granted it's done right after preparing the tea.

Took one small hit of flower petal to no effect, beneficial or detrimental.

I'll try two or three hits, or using my torch to burn it at a higher temp, like with salvia divinorum in a few days in case of cumulative toxicity. I need to try the torch on salvia nemorosa too.

@ Tranced: It could be psychedelic, analgesic, or inactive. As far as knowledge on the phytochemical make-up is seemingly not known.

Salvia Doorii is the other supposedly psychedelic sage that anecdotal descriptions exist for to my knowledge

Salvia divinorum is not the only psychoactive Salvia. Several Salvia species contain tujones, here Salvia officinalis is used as food aid and its essential oil contains until 67% tujones. Only smelling strongly that plant you suffer dizziness. Jonathan Ott says that Wormwood is psycoactive due to the tujones after smoke the plant in lab and get high

Going to move this to PD to see what discussion they can dig up on this subject. OP, if you want it moved back here just let staff know.

OD->PD

This sounds more like an analgesic/sedative than a psychedelic. But pretty cool, nonetheless!

What about Salvia Nemorosa?

I've heard that also has effects.

Have you ever tried that?

I'd like to try both.

^theres several threads on Nemorosa, just do a quick search.

Short answer: yes Nemorosa is significantly active. Fresh material is needed though, since the active constituents seem very volatile.

3 medium sized hits resulted in a feeling of warmth and mild, short lived (~30 minutes) feeling of euphoria. Nothing felt toxic at this dose. I'll try a slightly higher dose in a few days. Tolerance can be problematic with other sages, and given the unknown phytochemical make-up, I want to keep doses low, especially now, when I have almost no information to go on. Safety first...

If it has anything in common with S.divinorum, then the actives may well not be alkaloidal at all, they might well be terpenoids, so would keep the sample in a closed container, freeze-drying or drying under mild conditions such as with a chemical dessicant, standing over P2O5, conc. sulfuric acid, KOH, or CaCl2 in a dessicator. For the terpenoids are likely to be volatile, and aged samples may lose potency as such, if terpenes they be.

The Delospermum plant you mentioned, what do you know of it?

As for using scotch broom-DON'T! it contains an alkaloid, called sparteine, and this is toxic, affecting the heart. affects voltage-gated Na channels, and can cause cardiac arrhythmia.