• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Are PAWS really temporary ?

no_id

Bluelighter
From opiates. Seriously. I just deal with ppl who say that for them, 2, 3, 4 years after, it change nothing, PAWS stay with them.

Yes. Should be out and free within a year esp if you treat yourself. I'm five years gone off a huge longtime opiate and benzo run and was clear and out in under a year.

What are you doing or plan to do to treat yourself?

1-2 years for heavy drug use typically. It's possible that some "side effects" may linger for longer, but at that point they would no longer be considered withdrawal syndrome and instead a mental disorder.

For example, depression may be considered a post-acute withdrawal symptom but if it persists for longer than 1-2 years I do not believe it would be considered a PAW symptom. At that point I believe it would be a mental disorder, possibly with onset caused by drug use, but drug use would not be responsible for its persistence. Other factors would need to be considered and addressed.

Yes they are temporary . I was just doing some whippets and I was remembering how they helped me after I quit my long term addiction . I mean instead of other drugs I just did a ton of whippets . Lol. Glad they were around .
But don't worry . It's temporary and that's a guarantee.

They're temporary. You can greatly reduce their length by eating well, being active and pursuing things that make you happy, and exercise. Getting in shape and working out some every day helps SO MUCH. I think part of PAWS (not all of it) is more mental than it is physical. You have to progress your life beyond your addiction. Figure out what you were using drugs to hide from or cover up or deal with, and fix those things in your life. Fill your time with new activities that interest you and make you feel happiness. There is definitely a physical element to PAWS, it's your body returning to normal after relying on drugs to be normal for a long time. But that fixes itself. However, if you never improve your life situation, you may continue to feel bad. Stress, anxiety and depression cause physical issues in people by themselves.