• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - The growing case against IV Tylenol

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
The growing case against IV Tylenol, once seen as a solution to the opioid crisis
Carolyn Y. Johnson
The Washington Post
June 19th, 2018

In the midst of the opioid crisis, Boston Medical Center added an intravenous version of Tylenol to its arsenal of drugs for pain management. But IV Tylenol was expensive, and after drugmaker Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals increased the price, the hospital projected it was on track to spend $750,000 in 2015 on acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol) in injectable form.

"It was going to cost us, without the intervention that happened, more than any other drug on our formulary. Think of the most expensive cancer drug," said David Twitchell, Boston Medical Center's chief pharmacy officer. "To me, that didn't seem justified."

A typical dose of acetaminophen in tablet form costs pennies, but the IV version, called Ofirmev, is $40 for a 1,000-milligram dose.

Hospitals throughout the country are working to shift away from opioids, whose addictive properties have spawned a public health crisis.

Recent IV formulations of old drugs such as acetaminophen may present new options in managing pain while fighting the opioid crisis, but a growing body of evidence - including a new study - suggests that IV acetaminophen appears to offer little or no benefit over taking the same drug in pill form for many conditions. There are also studies that suggest a modest benefit, but many hospitals have limited access to the drug to patients who are incapable of taking oral medications due to its high cost and the inconsistent evidence of a clear advantage.

Read the full story here.

thank god and baby jesus for heroin and the cartels. the real good guys, bless their souls.

I've had it forced on me before opioids were allowed (despite my being a chronic pain patient physically dependent on them)

I have NO analgesic effect from it at maximum dose orally, told the hospital staff as much, they still insisted on it, and what a surprise, no effect, might as well have injected saline only.

Great idea guys, let's take the more toxic option and push it hardcore... what wonderful HR policies, this'll solve that "epidemic".

I just worry how long it might take for their stupidity to crash and burn around them incontrovertibly; to the point they have no choice but to accept that they fucked things up royally; and are way past looking for the fire extinguisher, but are stuck with having to call the insurance company and to sleep in their cars or with a friend, or, well, just in the car, given they are politicunts after all, and what example of that breed of slime is going to have a friend?