Bluelight

Thread: How to store Medical Cannabis

1. Collapse Details
    How to store Medical Cannabis 
    Weed
    I just bought a couple ounces of cannabis from a local dispensary, and dumped it into a few mason jars stored in my closet. Ive never stored this much before so I was wondering if there was anything else I should do to keep it preserved. Do I need to burp the jars to prevent mold? Does medical cannabis come already cured? And if so does that mean it wont mold?

Thanks, i appreciate any Info

2. Collapse Details

Sounds like you're doing a pretty good job. The cannabis is cured, but a burp every couple days won't hurt just to make sure all the moisture is out.
    Another product you might look into is a Boveda pack. They control the humidity inside the jars so it won't get dry or moldy. Since you're in a medical state they shouldn't be too hard to find at a dispensary or head shop, but if not you can buy them online. They are pretty nice to have around.

3. Collapse Details

Oh if you have a vacuum sealer put the glass jars in a bag and vacuum seal them! Though idk how common they are.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SheWasLvL18 View Post
    Sounds like you're doing a pretty good job. The cannabis is cured, but a burp every couple days won't hurt just to make sure all the moisture is out.
    Another product you might look into is a Boveda pack. They control the humidity inside the jars so it won't get dry or moldy. Since you're in a medical state they shouldn't be too hard to find at a dispensary or head shop, but if not you can buy them online. They are pretty nice to have around.
    You definitely don't want "all the moisture out" lol. Well-cured weed still has some water content and if it didn't it would burn/vaporize like complete shit and be harsh as fuck. Also every time you open the jar you're losing probably dozens of micrograms of terpenes, open it up say 20 times and there's not a lot left.

Quote Originally Posted by SheWasLvL18 View Post
    Oh if you have a vacuum sealer put the glass jars in a bag and vacuum seal them! Though idk how common they are.
    Thing #1 not to do with weed is vacuum seal it. You just turned micrograms of terpene loss into instant 100% volatile compound loss.

5. Collapse Details

The curing process only takes a couple weeks and is done prior to sales. The mason jars in your closet should be sufficient for storage, just try to keep it out of light and never open unless necessary.

Boveda packs and other humidifying products is an easy way to make mold. Stay away from them unless your weed is garbage. And by garbage, I mean brown seedy flat brick weed from Mexico. Bottom shelf weed from stores should still be good enough stuff that you want to take care of properly.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Network View Post
    You definitely don't want "all the moisture out" lol. Well-cured weed still has some water content and if it didn't it would burn/vaporize like complete shit and be harsh as fuck. Also every time you open the jar you're losing probably dozens of micrograms of terpenes, open it up say 20 times and there's not a lot left.

Thing #1 not to do with weed is vacuum seal it. You just turned micrograms of terpene loss into instant 100% volatile compound loss.
    You want to maybe offer some advice then? If you have some information that could help this person IDK why you wouldn't share it.

7. Collapse Details

Bluelight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by The Network View Post
    False. Just false.

I have jars of herb that are vacuum sealed from December 2017 that are still loud and dank when I pop the jar.

We also vacuum sealed all the pounds on the farm last year. It's an excellent way to preserve terpenes.

Sure, there's way you can do it that damage the herb, but just don't vacuum it into a brick... Consumer vacuum sealers are not strong enough to vacuum terpenes off cannabis.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Felonious Monk View Post
    False. Just false.

I have jars of herb that are vacuum sealed from December 2017 that are still loud and dank when I pop the jar.

We also vacuum sealed all the pounds on the farm last year. It's an excellent way to preserve terpenes.

Sure, there's way you can do it that damage the herb, but just don't vacuum it into a brick... Consumer vacuum sealers are not strong enough to vacuum terpenes off cannabis.
    Lol sorry, you're just completely wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volatility_(chemistry)

9. Collapse Details

After all that fuss, a basic wiki link is really disappointing.

I was hoping you had something more substantial to say.