Terrified mom- hoping for advice

G.R.S.H.

Bluelighter
my 17 yr old son refuses to live with me. He?s running with some sketchy people and dealing drugs. ?We don?t fuck with the hard stuff, just coke, Molly, weed, lsd, and something new (at least to this ancient mom) related to lsd. They recently found out that one of their group was shorting them so they robbed him out in the middle of nowhere. Talking to my son (he is always really vague) it sounds like he is doing all the coke he is supposed to be dealing while the guy who usually handles this ?soft drug? is away having his health fixed. They stole everything the guy had on him, including a gun. I?m so terrified- and while he is still under age and I could force him into rehab- I?m not sure how much good that would do. He never sees the problems in his life as a result of his own choices- he blames everything on someone else- no matter what. How do I get him to see his habit is a choice he made, and that choice will kill him? Last time I saw him, he said he just wanted a bullet to the brain.

Why is coke better than meth?!? It will kill you all the same!

My prayers are desperate, my heart is dying- overcome with fear. What do I do? Do I force him into rehab? Do I hope he gets his shit together?

Coke isn't better than meth, it's just more accepted. Others will disagree with me, but in my experience, coke had me doing alot worse shit than meth ever did.

Forcing him into rehab is probably the worst move you could make, have you told him your concerns?

I have told him my concerns, he brushes me off like I could have no idea what he is going on. I did my stint where he is, and know more than enough to know he is in a bad place- with bad people who recently got ahold of a gun that is registered to someone they don?t give a fuck about. This doesn?t add up to rainbows and unicorns, and I know it!

I also think forcing him into rehab would do no good. It won?t work if he doesn?t want it to, and he?ll never trust me again. But what do I do? Cross my fingers and hope for the best?

He told me that I just see a drugie when I look at him, but that couldn?t be further from the truth. I see my little boy with a giant heart being sucked into a black vortex of ugliness.

I wish I had advice for you, I definitely feel for you. I was in his position up until September, I hope he comes to his senses sooner than I did. All the advice I can give is to make it known that you truly love and care for him, so he comes to you when he's ready.

It's a terrible thing to experience and I hope things get better for you and your son.

Like bptubbs said, being available and accepting is important. I think most people will come to a point where they are tired of the life drugs bring and want out, but they have nowhere to go for help and so they continue their cycle. I have heard other users mention on this site how important it was for them that when they finally came to their senses they knew there parents would welcome them back and help them.

I'm sure you feel a range of emotions and I can imagine it would be hard to be the "loving mom" all the time, especially when you see someone you love walking down a scary path.
I hope your son finds his way back to you. Perhaps your son would benefit from reading some stories on Bluelight and seeing where others have gone if they weren't careful.

Hasnt he seen the movie scarface? It doesnt end well. I say this with all seriousness im 22 and when they showed me some bullsh*t videos on the dangers of drug use in IOP and inpatient and whatever i laughed.

Cocaine is definitely a hard drug

You can fatally OD on it

Very addictive to people who like it.

No matter the drug if it causes problems it causes problems.

There is social, psychological and physiological aspects of addiction and social and psychological aspects are more hard to overcome than physiological aspects in my opinion.

When I considered myself to be in middle of hard addiction I wasn't hanging out with thugs but instead isolated myself to only hang out with my fiancee and seeing my daughter once a week but both of these situations are an example of a strong social addiction although they are from opposite ends.

Coke is also known to have strong psychological addiction potentiality although it doesn't have a lot of physiological addiction tendencies unlike for example opioids do have.

There are two strong aspects of addiction present in your son's life and it must be hard to see that as a mother.

I wish I had answers for you but I don't but still I don't just want to say to you that you should just wait until he is ready to accept some help.

Motivational interviewing is a good way to get people more accepting and by googleing it you can find some info what it is and how you could use it.

Also you could try contacting drug counselors and work with them to get a way to help your son to accept help.

All I can say is that the best way to help is to be available and offer help in a healthy way so that you won't be an automat that provides for his drug use.

I wish all the best for you both.

Literally the only thing that won't cause damage to him and your relationship with him will be to stay available day and night. So that when he calls, and he will, that your ready to pick him up wherever and take him to a place that can help him. Thats all you can do. You can't force an addict to do something and not expect them to go off. I've been on both sides of this so I know what I'm talking about. Anything else will just alienate him even worse. But that's very hard for mother's to accept. They just want to fix it and help their son. But this is the best and only thing to do.

That's a difficult spot to be, and I'm not sure there is a clear answer one way or another.

Sometimes people are determined to figure things out on their own, whether that means good or bad. You can't learn things for other people.

I don't think sending him to rehab and having him hate you for it will be the worst thing ever. And honestly, I don't know if you need to be there, ready and waiting 24/7. I'm not saying that you should disown him, but enabling him is not going to help at all either. Don't protect your or his feelings. Tell him exactly how you really feel, just what you wrote here- that you don't look down on him but instead fear for his health and well-being as you watch it decline. Tell him about your experience, there is no point in hiding your past. You made mistakes and so will he, but hopefully you both can learn from your past mistakes.

Don't be afraid if he hates you for the next year or two for sending him to rehab. At least he will have had the opportunity to go to rehab. There is no guarantee either way. He could end up resenting you for watching him destroy his life and not intervening earlier... there is no controlling his emotions if he is going to choose to unnecessarily blame.. DO what is right, not what you think will make you more liked.

Sometimes consequence is the only thing that will lead to change. It was for me. Ultimately it is his life and his decisions and there is limitations to what you can do to help.

Have you spoken to anyone about your situation(not your son's)? There are people out there going through exactly what you are going through. I know I put my mom through something very similar. Knowing how much worry I caused her was a pretty big motivator to change my way of life. It was more of a motivation than my own well-being, but even then it still wasn't enough. I didn't make a change until after jail and rehab. Even then it's been shaky at times. I wanted to change for a long time before I actually did, just had convinced myself there was no other option and that for someone like me selling drugs was the only hope.

I think most people want to change deep down. At least once things get bad. The truth is that things like this won't last forever. It sounds like things are already starting to unravel. Is there anyone he looks up to that can speak directly and honestly to him?

What would happen if he was arrested? Would he be safer?

Our friend needed jail to change his life. At least at 17, it may not follow him.

I have four sons. My heart aches for you.

Thank you all for your replies, there is so much to think about it them.

I was a 12 stepper in my 20s (don't hate me if that is not your thing, it worked when I needed it), and his step dad is still actively in recovery. He has heard the truth of our addictions for years, mine all of our lives. I never hid from him the disaster my life was, I have always been honest. In many ways that was to avoid the situation as it stands today. Knowing that he inherited plenty of addictive tendencies I tried so hard to make sure that he knew...

Gods do I wish there really were a miracle cure; for me in my head which is an uglier place then it has ever been. For him in his hurt, his pain, his suffering and as a result, his own addiction. I wish sometimes that I still believed in the miracle drug... maybe at least searching for it I would be able to find minutes of 'relief'. Someone once told me that to go into your head alone is a little like going into East LA alone, a bad, bad idea. I never was smart enough to run, and now my head is an endless loop of horrible things.

Terrified... I have never felt so helpless and hopeless.

First reinforce the idea that suicide is a cowards way out and has no glory by our standards.
Your son is either real nieve or he's BSing you. All the drugs you mentioned ARE HARD DRUGS.
Sounds like he's not hearing himself when he speaks about the bad negative situations that are up to his eyeballs.

Coke is as bad as it gets for addiction. He can't avoid using meth running in the circles he's in.
I was slinging drugs in San Fran in my younger years but quite because I got tired of having to carry a large gun.
tired of the human carnage drugs leave behind. Blaming everyone else is just a form of denial.
If he lives long enough he'll start taking responsibility for himself.
Gotta separate him from that environment he's in.
The negative people in it just reinforce more negative habits and situations.

His father committed suicide, so he knows that I think that it is a permanent solution to temp problems. He knows just how shitty it makes those left behind feel, he knows that I don't agree with it.

I honestly think that he (like many other people I know/knew) is bullshitting himself, not me. He truly believes that coke is better than meth, while I know it is just 'slower'. I even know people that say 'at least coke is natural', these people are fooling themselves. Coke might have started out, way way back, as something natural, but by the time it gets to the end user it has been doctored and changed and added to so much that there is nothing natural left. Even in its natural state it destroys the users. Of course, since weed doesn't hurt you...

I'm feeling pretty powerless and even more I feel like I'm useless. I waiver between a complete break down, and being so angry that I snap at the slightest thing. My husband is losing all patience with me, and I can't stand the thoughts running through my head. I have never been so negative in my life. I have never been so angry, depressed, exhausted (I can't remember the last time I slept), and restless. I feel like I have already lost him, and I keep desperately trying to call him back to me. I have to decide if it will be better to send him to rehab and deal with his anger (and most likely him leaving rehab), or if I just let him know that he can come home, that I will help if he decides that he wants real help.

It is tearing me into pieces with huge rips and holes in soul.

Have you spoken to any substance use disorder counselors in your area? Maybe you can convince him to meet once a month or every other week starting out. Depending on the counselor, he may not even need to be committed to the idea of sobriety, or even open to it. Considering that most places are voluntary, it may not do much to force him to go to a rehab if he is just going to leave. But maybe you can work out some sort of trade off that will convince him to start seeing a counselor.

If a private counselor is not a viable option, you could try speaking to social workers in your area that is more familiar with available resources and laws.

If nothing else, take care of yourself. You'll need to stay strong if you are going to be there for him to help him pick up the pieces. Addictions can impact the whole family.. it might be smart to go to co-dependent meetings and even see a counselor or therapist to help deal with your own emotions before it destroys your relationship with your husband. You have to do something with those thoughts.. they aren't just going to stop coming unfortunately.

Grsh I’m sorry to hear you’re going through all this, I can’t imagine how hard it must be.
Forcing him to rehab I agree won’t work, though deep down I wish my parents had done anything for me in regards to actual parenting growing up. Knowing you’re there at least will go a long way, even if he doesn’t turn it around soon. Counseling is a great idea if you can get him there. Hugs.

There are generally 3 steps to take:

1) create healthy boundaries for yourself. Keep an appropriate emotional distance or you will turn into a mess of anxiety and insomnia. You are the priority to take care of here. You know how in airplanes, they tell you if the cabin loses oxygen, get your own oxygen mask set up before you help the person next to you, otherwise you might pass out while helping them and both die. And while that is a slight hyperbole, this is truly life and death, just not as soon

2) tell him what he is doing is not okay and you do not support it. Tell him the only thing you will support is getting him help, don't give him money, rides, your time, unless it involves getting him help

3) figure your shit out. While this is his problem, you may have contributed to the environment which spawned it. I'm very confused by your drug use. Though I will admit I am somewhat a hypocrite in this, once you've been an addict, you can't use as many different drugs as you are. Coke, Molly, and some unknown psychedelic particularly worry me. Coke is absolutely not a soft drug, MDMA can absolutely ruin lives if abused, and you should always know exactly what you are taking, especially with psychedelics. All those drugs used may not have been the best message to send a kid. I don't mean to make blame or guilt a big part of this, they never should be. But accepting your faults, mistakes, and weaknesses is the crux of this whole process.

Last edited:
You need to aproach him on a level playing field, or on an equal level of respect. Pretend putting yourself in his shoes when he tells stories or tries to justify what he's doing (this doesn't mean that you need to think what he is doing is right)

This might sound kinda lame, but here are my suggestions, I've been studying to be a substance abuse counselor, but have had a hard time addressing my own substance use issues, but these methods aren't from me, they're "text book"

Try using "Reflective Listening" and responses. Basically, the idea is when we listen to people, we are thinking and planning our responses while listening at the same time, so we tend to miss things or mis-understand. Reflective listening is while you are listening to your son speak, when he pauses, nod your head, reflect his body language, and briefly repeat what he said. Briefly, quickly, and don't interrupt him to do it. Reflective responses is, after he finishes speaking, you rephrase what he said to you in your own words. This is to make sure he 1) knows you heard what he said, and 2) you understand what he said. This will help with the whole "YOU JUST DONT UNDERSTAND MOM, YOU DONT KNOW ME, YOU DONT GET IT" because you will always be sure to be fully listening and understanding what he said AND making sure he knows you understood what he said.

Another thing you can try are called "3 Part Assertion Messages". It sounds lame but bear with me. Basically, you have: 1)Their action, 2) The effect of that action, and 3) How that effect makes you feel.

An example: When you run around and stop talking to me while doing things that put your life in danger, It really scares me and I can't sleep because I feel like you stopped valuing yourself and your life and I just want you to be healthy and happy.

These work because you tell him what he did, why and how it bothers you, but it does so in a non accusational, non aggressive way that will not likely get a violent response from him.

And quickly, just for the hell of it, these are basic, text book "Communication Barriers" that will make it difficult to have effective conversations with your son:
-Criticising
-Name Calling
-Diagnosing
-Praising Evaluativley
-Ordering
-Threatening
-Moralizing
-Excessive/Innapropriate Questioning
-Advising
-Diverting
-Logical Argument
-Reassuring

There is more to these, but just know this: trying to "hold hostage" him or stuff he likes, manipulation attempts (through threats to buying him stuff/being nice/flattery) to get a desired reaction, using moral or logical arguments to negate or disprove the things he is doing, or avoiding his concern ("i don't see you as a drug addict, don't think that because I dont"), and similar things will probably make him put up higher and thicker walls rather than helping.

With reassuring, you said your son said that you "only see him as a drug addict" to which you would naturally reply "no I dont!!" but, to quote the book I referenced to write this reply, "A persons ingrained opinion of themselves resists direct attempts at alteration", and being "reassuring" can often make them go harder in the other direction. A teacher told me that reassuring is what someone does when they like the idea of helping someone but does not want to actually do anything. Not saying that that is you, just offering some advice.

Instead of saying that you don't believe he is "just a druggie", ask him why he thinks you think that. Why he thinks you see him that way and what you do that makes him believe that. This will get him talking about how he really feels and will get him away from the vague answers.

Vague is poison for communication. Dont ask "Closed questions" (questions easily answered only with brief, yes or no style responses), and avoid being aggressive or submissive, aim for assertive

I hope this helps and I hope you and your son can work this out and he stays safe (and yourself)

Last edited: