• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Has anyone heard of the ?Bernese method? for Suboxone induction?

Rabidrabbit

Bluelighter
I?ve been hearing about something called the Bernese method for induction from a full agonist opioid to Buprenorphine. Does anyone know more about this method? From what I?ve read it?s supposedly letting you skip the phase where you have to abstain from full agonists and are using both a full agonist and buprenorphine at the same time?? Honestly it sounds risky and kind of stupid to me but I am curious about it. It?s not something I would want to try myself as it just sounds like a way to go through precipitated withdrawals over and over. But I?d like to be informed from a harm reduction standpoint.

Has anyone here successfully use this method? Has anyone heard of it? Can anyone explain the pros/cons?

I used the search and only one post mentions it but it?s not relevant To my question.

Thanks for your time.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4959756/

This is an article about the method but it only has 2 successful cases.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, if done properly, over a long enough period of time, you'd either have to go slow, or calibrate the doses just right and be very strict in your regimen.

I actually tried doing something like this like over a decade ago before I had ever heard of suboxone, with naltrexone, I couldn't ever get it to work right though, it wasn't that I got precipated WD, it was the naltrexone was dampening my high and I was too much of an addict and would stop taking it, even though the plan was to quit taking oxy(hadn't moved on to heroin full time yet). But it was the exact same idea.

But a summary is you take micro-doses, starting well behold the threshold for PWD or any effects whatsoever, and very gradually raise the dose, re-dosing just often enough that the bupe never fully leaves your system. I read the beginning of your link but not the whole thing. It seems they started at 0.2mg of bupe, and re-dosed every 12-24 hours, while continuing to use heroin. With naltrexone I did it a whole lot different, I started something like 1mcg, every 12h, increasing by x2 every 24h, until I reached 20mcg, then started increasing by 10mcg every 24h, and I kept either plateauing or changing it from there, I can't really remember anymore or how far I got, weeks, maybe months, but at some point I decided it was interfering with my high when honestly I don't know if it was, but I ended up re-dosing my DOC more often than I otherwise would of and it become counter-productive so I stopped.

I see in the first case they go 0.2mg per day for 2 days before increasing to 0.8 and then a 2mg dose on the third day. that seems too quick to me. Maybe something like 0.2 d1, 0.3 d3, 0.4 d4 0.5 d5 would be better.

I think this is a REALLY great idea, I tried to do something very similar before but on a quickened timeline, and it was always when I was running out of dope and eventually I would start feeling WDs, probably more from not taking enough dope than from the bupe, but I eventually felt like I just had to suffer through PWD to hurry the whole thing up so I would be ready for work the next week.