• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Chronic Dipenhydramine Use Yielding Strange effects

Lobsterbutch

Bluelighter
So I have been using dipenhydramine at night for sleep for awhile. As is common, my tolerance to the sedative effects of the medication grew very quickly, I started at 25-50mg nightly, and over time my nightly use grew to pretty extreme doses, ranging in the 25-30 pill range, which is from 625-750mg range (which is outrageous, I know) although it took me more than a year to reach these doses.

The thing I am experiencing is this: After dosing, a feeling of sedation and well being starts to increase, until it peaks in a feeling I can only describe as sleepy wellbeing. Its a positive feeling and very much desirable. But, after 2-3 hours of this feeling, it quickly turns, and I have swings where my emotional feelings instantly change to dysphoria and then builds back up to wellbeing again. Over the course of the night this happens several times, and each time the dysphoria appears, it lingers for onger, takes more time to build back to a feeling of wellbeing, and I remain in a feeling of wellbeing for shorter lengths of time before the dysphoria returns. The first time dysphoria remains for a few seconds, but at the end of the night the dysphoria can linger for 10-20 minutes sometimes more, and before I fall asleep I experience 15minutes of dysphoria for every 2-5minutes of well being.

even though these are huge dose ranges, I have yet to experience any of the well known "delerium" effects of dipenhydramine (hallucinations both visual and auditory), but I do experience a sharp decline in short-term memory. I write a lot, and the memory loss can be so severe that I will lose my train of thought mid sentance and need to re-read the entire page to pick my thought process back up. The worst is when I re-read the entire page, and by the time I read the last sentance, I've forgotten the first one. Sometimes I loose train of thought while writing but dont notice, to the point that when I finally read what I wrote later, It makes no sense and is literal word salad, where the topics and subjects change very quickly with no real subject or cohesive subject/idea.

I only experience these things after dosing and never have them happen otherwise, but the mood swings after the peak is odd to me, does anyone know how or why this happens?

Diphenhydramine is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, and its anticholinergic effects might not be all that healthy either, even at sub-deliriant doses.

Basically, this is not something you want to continue taking in extreme amounts.

This isnt strange this is the predictable result of overdosing on muscarinic acetylcholine antagonists.

I used it similarly and had terrible urine retention. I only use it now for extreme insomnia of three days.

Your experience would concern me, too.

I had a huge problem with DPH. I would eat 40 to 50 pills then shoot H. Or mix DPH gel caps in with my dope and IV it. My tolerance went through the roof. It started with me trying to potential opiates and then I got weirdly addicted to the delirium. Talking to people who weren't there, not knowing where I was or who I was with. It was terrifying but oddly humorous when I was on it. I ruined my veins backloading those damn unisom gel caps with my dope. And it took years for the DPH to work correctly again. I don't have long term psychological consequences from my time doing this, just physical. My tolerance rose VERY fast as well. I think within a month I went from popping a couple benadryl with my H to taking 50 with my unsiom/opiate IV cocktail. I hope this can help you.

muscarinic acetylcholine antagonists? This is the reason I come here and love this site; I had no idea that existed until right now, I'm glad I know more.

I know, its really dumb that I'm taking so much. I justify it as reasonable in my head, but It sounds so f'n crazy when I hear other people say it

Are you not concerned by the potential link between DPH and alzheimer's at those kind of doses?

muscarinic acetylcholine antagonists? This is the reason I come here and love this site; I had no idea that existed until right now, I'm glad I know more.

I know, its really dumb that I'm taking so much. I justify it as reasonable in my head, but It sounds so f'n crazy when I hear other people say it

Besides the direct neurological effects of DPH itself, there is also the issue that diphenhydramine is metabolized by an enzyme called CYP2D6. Since this enzyme also metabolizes a large variety of common OTC & prescription drugs, taking massive doses of DPH may have a significant influence on the pharmacokinetics of these substances.

Are you not concerned by the potential link between DPH and alzheimer's at those kind of doses?

Recently very concerned, earlier I just sort of figured it'd work out ok, but since I've had difficulty rolling back I've looked into it more. the long term effects of large doses are pretty fucked up. Of course, I never thought I'd have been able to justify it to myself for so long. So far I cant really say anyhting about side effects because I really havent taken that long of a break.

When I dont take it I get headaches, nausea, and motion sickness from any movement. I also get pretty extreme sleep paralysis, which is distressing by itself.

Hey look at the bright side I bet you aren't allergic to anything!�� but in all serious this drug is no joke. Your loser must be fried and you're doing serious damage to your central nervous system. Iv taken that amount once because I didn't realize they were 100mg pills and I had all kinds of weird auditory hallucinations and no memory recall at all! Plus taking all those pills talk about making you feel sick to your stomach thinking about it now makes me wanna vomit

I've been taking diph every night since I was about 18 - sixteen years ago. I've never had to increase my dose, and still get a very powerful sedative effect from it. How? Take it in the form of Dimenhydrinate (Gravol or Dramamine in the US). The drug is a mixture of diph and a weak, mild stimulant. The latter is completely dominated by the former and the net effect is strong sedation just like pure diph. Like I said, despite taking it every night and sometimes even every few hours when I can't sleep, there is ZERO sign of tolerance. I have no idea how, but there it is. If I do the same with pure diph, the bulk of the sedative effect is lost after a few days.

EDIT: the amount of Gravol (dimenhydrinate) I take is 150 mg and rarely 200 mg. This is enough for strong sedation and very noticeable effects, though of course nowhere near delirium levels.

My biggest concern with high dose diphenhydramine is lengthening of your heart's Q-t interval...
I didn't know this, I've only ever used 25-50mg of DPH for two weeks with insomnia and had no idea it could affect the Q-t levels or even potentially cause long QT syndrome.

My biggest concern with high dose diphenhydramine is lengthening of your heart's Q-t interval...

What kind of high doses are we talking about affecting the qt interval?

Like 25-100mg/day (which is in the therapeutic range) or more like 200-300mg+/day?

I assume the thereputic range would be fine as they're only ever recommended for less than 2 weeks. Providing you took them as directed.

I don't think there's too much risk in sticking within the recommended dose range. I wouldn't push it too high.