• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Anyone have any experience with buspar

powerpunk5000

Greenlighter
Been taking it for about a month 10mg 2x a day. Have noticed a slight improvement with alot less side effects then SSRI Iv tried. But I still suffer from agoraphobia from past panic attacks. But using only when traveling to places further then 15mins or so away. Usually if im with family not as bad but still dread not feeling well do to my anxiety and not being able to escape. But some of my physical symptoms actually have seemed to drop like HR and BP. And I feel like I'm starting to get a lil motivation back. But curious to see what others think of buspar. Also what people think of its chemical makeup since its kinda of in its own class

I was once prescribed it for anxiety like 16 years ago and it did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

No good effects, no negative side effects, may as well have been sugar pills.

That doesn't mean it couldn't have a possible good usage, but based on my little bit of experience I think it's useless.

Have you since tried other meds, how do you know when there truly affective? I feel like it's helped some but still have issues with agoraphobia and traveling epically long distances and places I feel uncomfortable

Your doctor will have the most data and knowledge to determine what medication will be most likely to work best given your symptoms and what you present.

An effective medication is a medication that helps you build non-medication, healthy aspects of your life.

None of these medications are perfect.

Uncomfortable is something many people learn to live with. That said, it is most powerful in the initial stages of recovery: before a large amount of time dedicated to recovery has yielded benefits. Medication, again, allows people to build positive habits and coping skills that will lead to greater comfort. But it is by no means going to do it by itself.

15yrs on Xanax/klonopin, switched psychiatrists. New doc is anti benzo so offerred buspar as an alternative. 15mg 2x daily, has proved to be extremely effective. I miss the tiny high of benzodiazepines, but my anxiety is well under control

Heard some really good stuff about Buspar as well. The literature surrounding benzos is definitely a but obscure. That said, some people are clear that a constant dose has helped them for years or longer. These people don't try to catch a high from them, though, and probably never have from their medication.

it does give slight anxiety releif, but my experience with this is mostly a jail drug.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried it once about 2 years ago, somewhat effective. I had a medium tolerance to benzos at the time too, as well as being naturally tolerant to them. Don't take too much or else you'll get a terrible dizzy feeling.

Talk to your doctor.

SO glad to find this today!!
So I'm a 23 yr old male and I was just prescribed this about a week ago(5mg twice a day for anxiety) I have abused Benzo's for years and i have a tendency to come in and out of short/long binges on various drugs(Coke/crack/meth/ketamine/LSD) so my doc is taking a "non-narcotic" approach:). I can honestly say i have felt better overall and have made better life choices since starting buspar but i am not convinced it is the driving force behind this. I will also say that i have had to lower my doses to 2.5mg due to major dizziness (made drastically worse by THC) Im going back to my DR this week for another check on my blood pressure and i'm going to discuss this with him! I have also had one seizure since starting this medication but have a feeling that it is unrelated ( i have a history of seizures and had smoked some speed ) I hope this thread continues..i look forward to finding out more about this stuff!!!
Much love to you all!!