• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Anyone using hot knives?

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
I haven't done hot knives in ~30 years - don't have a coil top stove anymore. But I do have a propane torch and was wondering if anyone has used sheet metal or duckbill pliers like these

ijsmC4h.jpg

to do knife hits. Is there any use to doing/trying this at all? I've read that its an efficient albeit dangerous method of toking (and yeah I've burnt my lips when trying this). Flat bladed pliers like this would enable one to take the hit one handed (less klutzy than using a blade in each hand I think). Rigging up a bottle funnel on a stand would allow me to take a one handed knife hit. For some reason I think this would work well for pressed hash.

Opinions?

thx

Tom

They're probably coated with oil or some sort of lubrication. I'd imagine once that burns off it's no worse than using butter knives.

Just be careful the heat doesn't conduct up those handles and start melting the rubber off too.

Mafioso; I thought about possibly the rubber melting, but hadn't thought about them being coated with an industrial/manufacturing lubricant. Thanks. This is more a curiosity than anything else. I'm fairly happy with bongs (can't roll a joint to save my life unless I use a roller, and I still haven't found a good vaporizer).

Egzoset; I've tried and can't really understand the principals of your Vapor Genie (it is that one, right?) modifications. There used to be a store in Winnipeg that carried them; but they went wholesale/online orders only. Hopefully they will be carried when the recreational stores open up in October and I can find a salesperson who is familiar with them.

Tom

Hi again Thomas Davie,

...still haven't found a good vaporizer...

It does help to have a clue why, at least that's how i became so enthousiast about customizing VG's pre-existing line of ready-made & patented products: their Materials Selection combined to the presence of Inlet Water in the path proved most appropriate/informative in the end, too bad this manufacturer seems happy with an unfinished design requiring skilled operation and pink lungs.

For the most part this clue revolves around the notion of a "Release/Transport Agent" and that's "Hot Dry Air" alone in most of the popular devices, even the venerable Volcano. Besides that i also found i much prefer pulse-mode scenarios with minimal "baking", a potentially unwanted nuisance which is the natural consequence of slow "Ovenizers" IMO. Hence my advice to avoid "Hot Dry Air Ovenizers"...

Egzoset; I've tried and can't really understand the principals of your VaporGenie (it is that one, right?) modifications.

The one real difficulty resides in finding this critical component:

f9kw2t.jpg

It's 1 mm thick in diameter and fits in between the SiC Pucks after cutting them to size, as recommended here:

Perform it twice (on 2 genuine VG pipes) for a full treat as this greatly improves your chances of a better fit, or even complementary sphere configurations allowing to launch sessions with Aroma/Taste appreciation then conclude with a CBD-friendly cfg.

cool.gif

So... Each of the 17 holes is #53, hence i once evaluated metal weight near ~0.75 g - which in turn determines temporary heat storage:

2psg31j.jpg

The idea is to generate a brief/dense energy burst capable of targetting noble contact-surfaces only (it gets depleted before penetrating deep inside the substrate). To do so i exploit mass/size differences between shreaded vegetal mass and trichome glands while matching a "Heat Charge" to such "WorkLoad", via approximative "Packetization".

In any case none of these details are necessary to begin replicating my LAVA experiments, all dimensions have been shared in public.

There used to be a store in Winnipeg that carried them; but they went wholesale/online orders only. Hopefully they will be carried when the recreational stores open up in October and I can find a salesperson who is familiar with them.

In absence of a 17-Holes Metal Disc as described above i'd point out the DynaVap CCD Screen is probably your best next option:

fv8n4k.jpg

Peripheral cuts would be necessary to prevent thermo-mechanical stress in the core and i don't know how this would impact on weight but it may still be OK in adapted configurations. YMMV but i gathered "Health Stones" suitable for my type of hybrid core ain't that hard to find in Vancouver...

Good day, have fun!!
biggrin.gif

Last edited: