Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Health Canada moving to schedule tramadol as controlled substance

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Health Canada moving to schedule tramadol as controlled substance
Kyle Duggan
iPolitics
June 18th, 2018

Health Canada says it's planning to list the opioid painkiller drug tramadol as a controlled substance to prevent diversion and illicit drug use - a decision critics say the department should have made a decade ago.

The department has been under fire for leaving the drug unscheduled for years.

Dr. David Juurlink, a drug safety researcher at University of Toronto, said currently the opioid is classified similarly to blood pressure and cholesterol pills, which is "not even remotely justifiable based on how this drug works."

And that misleads doctors about the drug's safety.

"I've had patients myself who have been put on tramadol because their doctors didn't realize it was an opioid," he said.

Read the full story here.

Currently tramadol is completely uncontrolled here. I suppose there was no way that situation was going to last.

This is going to lead to more Heroin addicts. I realize that's a bigass leap, but chronic pain patients who happen to be on Tramadol are increasingly likely to find themselves without a prescribing physician and you can no longer buy Tylenol 1 with Codeine OTC in Canada IIRC, and, I wouldn't be surprised if they soon go after Kratom (if they haven't already).

One step in the right direction (weed legalization) - two steps in the wrong direction (Tramadol + Tylenol 1 with Codeine). Or so it seems.

...you can no longer buy Tylenol 1 with Codeine OTC in Canada IIRC...

I don't believe this has been implemented by Health Canada yet, but the proposal and call for input were quite a while ago so it surely won't be long.

I don't believe this has been implemented by Health Canada yet, but the proposal and call for input were quite a while ago so it surely won't be long.

soon canada will have vending machines whith hparmaceutical grade heroin for addicts. but people in pain can't have medicine. Seems like the US policy. of massive methadone for addicts but tylenol for innocent pain patients

Y'all reckon Trudeau retaining his position as Canada's PM next election? I was betting on a minority Lib government, but now I'm not so sure anymore.

i used to buy tramadol powder from a canadian rc vendor, and i'd never really given much thought to how that was possible/legal.

so it's available OTC?
canada has some pretty uniquely liberal drug laws, it would seem. various RCs have been legal and apparently ignored in canada for years - and now with the legalisation of cannabis...it seems to have become one of the more progressive nations.

but as always, one step forward, and two steps back, right? :\

i used to buy tramadol powder from a canadian rc vendor, and i'd never really given much thought to how that was possible/legal.

so it's available OTC?

Nah, it's prescription-only if sold as a drug, but if sold as a laboratory chemical there are no controls.

Y'all reckon Trudeau retaining his position as Canada's PM next election? I was betting on a minority Lib government, but now I'm not so sure anymore.

I'd say it's too early to guess. I hope so, though, because the only realistic alternative is back to the Conservatives.