• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Tegretol vs Depakote, and Vraylar?

DeFyYing

Greenlighter
Hey guys, new here. I have schizoaffective disorder bipolar type, and all of my meds have to be changed. I'm currently on Lithium and Zyprexa, but the Lithium is giving my thyroid a beating and the Zyprexa is messing up my prolactin and cholesterol (as well as potentially inducing anhedonia). Im scared because outside of the anhedonia I've been feeling relatively normal, so I don't know what to expect. My pdoc wants to replace my Lithium with either Tegretol or Depakote. Any experience with either of these? I was briefly on Depakote but it's been so long I forget what it was like. How are the cognitive side effects on these?

The other replacement is for the Zyprexa, and I want to ask my pdoc about Vraylar. I'm hoping that it can address my negative symptoms (anhedonia and avolition), and I like how it's activating (a little bit worried it might make my social anxiety worse though). Mad expensive however. Any thoughts on Vraylar?

Do you have blood work for your lithium level and or showing thyroid damage?

I went off zyprexa due to weightgain and sedation. But i take lithium and depakote without issue.

Yeah I got blood work done, my TSH levels have steadily been elevating for some time now. It's a shame because the Lithium really does help my highs and lows, the only side effects I get are thirst and acne. How's the Depakote?

I get no side effects. Then again i also don't get side effects from lithium.

Is your lithium level high maybe if they bring it down your thyroid wont get messed up. You can get a lithium level with blood work as well as a depakote level.