• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Joining military

Slimpug69

Greenlighter
I very badly want to join the military, it?s the one thing in my bleak existence I think can change my life around for the better except I have things that are automatic dqs. Nothing regarding the law, but I have been prescribed suboxone, Xanax, and also been in 1 inpatient and a couple outpatient programs. Will these come up when applying for the military or can I keep my mouth shut about it and make it thru without any issues? Need help, this is what I was born to do and I hope I won?t be dq?d because my substance abuse.

generally all your medical files are off limits unless you specifically sign for their release. just keep your mouth shut about past medications and past medical stuff, unless you're going for a job that requires having a security clearance, in which case the best thing to do is be absolutely open and honest about everything they will find on the investigation request stuff you have to fill out as the first part of getting a clearance.

a recruiter should tell you the same thing, dont tell them anything they dont need to know. medications you're currently on, you will probably have to mention. its been a few years since i've read the regs so they're probably updated; as of 2012 bupe maintenance wasnt specifically prohibited but methadone was. some positions with the federal government will reject candidates for being on bupe, so its probably the same for the military (and they will test for it as part of the drug screening, so dont try to lie).

typically the best thing you can do is ask the recruiter for advice, but as long as you dont get rejected at MEPS (where they do the medical processing, physical, drug screening, etc) you should simply be able to fix up whatever might reject you and, at worst, go through a different recruiter.

Okay thanks a lot, yeah i haven?t been on anything for a while, my last Xanax script was a few months ago but subs were over a year ago. I have kept my mouth shut so far just don?t want to get a dishonorable discharge if I say nothing now and it comes up later on in my military career. I?m going for special ops CCT I think is what I?m going to try for. I don?t know the security clearances for that.

generally all your medical files are off limits unless you specifically sign for their release. just keep your mouth shut about past medications and past medical stuff, unless you're going for a job that requires having a security clearance, in which case the best thing to do is be absolutely open and honest about everything they will find on the investigation request stuff you have to fill out as the first part of getting a clearance.

a recruiter should tell you the same thing, dont tell them anything they dont need to know. medications you're currently on, you will probably have to mention. its been a few years since i've read the regs so they're probably updated; as of 2012 bupe maintenance wasnt specifically prohibited but methadone was. some positions with the federal government will reject candidates for being on bupe, so its probably the same for the military (and they will test for it as part of the drug screening, so dont try to lie).

typically the best thing you can do is ask the recruiter for advice, but as long as you dont get rejected at MEPS (where they do the medical processing, physical, drug screening, etc) you should simply be able to fix up whatever might reject you and, at worst, go through a different recruiter.
We?re you in the Airforce ?

You wont get a dishonorable discharge for that. Trust me I'm a 20 year vet and I lied about a few things (confidential)!! Lol yea just dont say a few things that might hurt you from getting into the military. Good luck!

Ethically, telling a lie about yourself to get into the military may unwittingly put others, in the military, at risk.