• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Safely disposing of needles

bookina

Bluelighter
Hi there,

Not sure whether it fits here, but I am not to sure where else to learn. So... I don't do drugs, and I have never done any. What I do is animal photography. So... why am I here? There is a park with small trails (which are not official trails) where I go often to see animals and take pictures of beavers and birds. What I often find beside the beavers, is lots of used needles (I mean, syringes and needles).

Given I spend quite some time there, I thought "oh, I could sure pick them up and dispose of them, it would be nice for me and anyone else using the park". BUT... I would love to know how to do that safely? I dropped by the nearby community centre and they gave me a lovely yellow container. But beside that... not much. Should I wear gloves? What kind of gloves? What if... I do get stabbed once? Where do I keep them at my place (before I can bring them to the disposal site)? Any advice? (is it a stupid idea?)

Thank you!

Take the needles and place them in the yellow plastic container. Once you're finished, take the used needles to your locale Fire Station. Regular gloves is fine. If you get poked, go to your primary care physician and tell them what when on and ask for some blood work. Try to pick the needle up by the end. Watch for capless needles as well. You can just keep them in your trunk, if you'd like.

Thank you for making your environment better!

I think it would be a great thing to do as long as you can reduce the risk to yourself and I hope others are inspired by your actions.

As for gloves, there are puncture resistant gloves and it looks like they can be bought at Lowe's/Home Depot.

If you do get stabbed there is a risk of infection and I would seek medical assistance. I wonder if you could avoid touching the needles by using like a shovel or other tool?

If you must bring them back to your place I would keep them somewhere people aren't going to be around. Maybe a high place in the garage, a safe or locked cabinet, etc.

If you do decide to do this I hope you can come back and let us know how it goes. It would be cool to see more initiative like this.

How bad is the litter? I'm sure it's quite disgusting, but I feel the juxtaposition of the grime with nature would make for an interesting photo and maybe bring attention to a disturbing reality.

Thanks for the advice! I will keep you posted on how it goes :)

And it is... not too bad, just bad enough for it to be a bit afraid to be stabbed while taking pictures, but not enough to actually stop me from going. =D Though I find it interesting that clearly, spots to do drugs and to watch birds have more in common that I would have expected =D

I would look at 'tattoo gloves' to use for picking these needles up. They are much thicker than regular medical gloves, and yet still allow the dexterity needed to grab fine objects.

You can always double (or triple) up on glove layers as well. Oh, and be sure to grab the needles by the hub (the non pointy end).

I am so glad that you are being a good citizen :)

Gloves for frisking are the best ones available for handing needles safely. Best have X11 innercoating and some kind of plastic outside coating and reinforced grips for fingertips.

Not a single needle pierced through while frisking people when I was in a security related job.

Thanks! I'll go to home depot in the afternoon and see what I find. Thanks a lot :)