Bluelight

1. Collapse Details
    Memantine for anxiety disorders? 
    Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Life Advice & Visual Arts
    Other Drugs
    Drugs in the Media
    Anyone know anything about using Memantine for GAD/social phobia?

Need to get back on some kind of meds for anxiety. After trying god knows everything and then some, I'm left with feeling like lorazepam is my best shot at this point. That said, I'm very wary of using gabaergics to control anxiety, as their use is fairly limited in my case (regular use isn't so wonderful for clarity of mind ime). Probably will have to bite the bullet and see about lorazepam, but not exactly very excited about using this as my frontline pharmacological approach to anxiety disorder.

I've been interested in trying Memantine for some time now, but never had the chance for lack of access. I've benefited tremendously from NMDAr antagonists, albeit with the costs that come with using drug illegally or via preparations that are not exactly safe to use at therapeutic dosages for psychiatric disorders. Probably the only class of drugs/substances I've ever used that seem to have truly made a sustainable, long term difference with symptoms of GAD, social phobia or PTSD.

Saw a trial is going on for Memantine+Lexapro at the university a couple weeks ago. Didn't realize they were now being using for psychiatric stuff like GAD. While I didn't spend too much time looking, I was only able to find one study that's now six years old: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3420624/

Thing is, I'd really prefer not having to get back on SSRIs or similar drugs just to get access to Memantine. Did not have very positive experiences with the five or six SSRIs and similar meds I've tried when it comes to anxiety disorders or PTSD. Wellbutrin came close to making a noticeable difference, but that was only when I used it in conjunction with methadone (and I'd prefer to avoid using opioids for psychiatric stuff).

All thoughts appriciated.

2. Collapse Details

Greenlighter
    Hi,

So, I'm hoping you're still around. Am interested to hear, based on what's in your posting, your story, and mental disposition. I imagine that, after taking drug after drug and not benefiting much, you've begun looking elsewhere. That's my case, anyhow. What I am curious to know about is your current mental state, your diagnoses, and how're you're currently doing. Namely however, I am wanting to know how PTSD and anxiety manifest for you, and to which extent they affect your ability to work, play, socialize and manage all aspects of your life, or the ability to enjoy your life. If you respond, and are interested, I'd tell more of my story and "issues", but for now, I'll keep that very short --->

In 2005, while in Afghanistan, I was badly injured. Sustained a TBI and have since been diagnosed with PTSD and a slough of other ridiculousness. What I mainly wanted to relay is that, due to what I can only describe as cognitive decline and an increasingly depressing inability to deal with stress and 'life', my life has, over the past few years become nearly completely unpleasant, mostly unmanageable, and things only seem to be worsening (life really just does not seem worthwhile, AT ALL, most days, and is a sort of a trans-literal 'hell'). Most days I'm so f'ed out of my mind that I cannot think straight, process information well or at all, comprehend even the most basic concepts, and I have to go through life essentially faking everything, as to seem the most normal version of my'self' as possible and to not seem odd, obtuse, rude or just straight up crazy. And then, every once in a while, with no warning of onset, for who knows why or how, I'll experience brief moments of mental clarity, where I feel relatively normal, and like I CAN take on the world's challenges, and I look FORWARD to social engagements, and I DO see the beauty in things, and I DO feel rather connected to those within my presence and I DO feel connected with reality, and I DO HAVE A SENSE OF SELF. These occurrences happen once of twice a month and last for 10 minutes, up to as long as 1 hour.

Of course, there are many other things to discuss, like, the impacts these issues have on my life, other health ailments, such as insomnia (its affects), and so on.

Anyway -- I said I'd keep it short. That's short. If you're still available on this forum, and are willing and wishing to discuss these things further, that would be great. Hope to hear from you.

P.S. I've recently applied to MAPS to be involved in their MDMA studies, and may be going to the Nee Haven Vet Center in Connecticut next month for an intensive Ketamine trial study. I'm looking into other things as well, such as psilocybin, LSD, and other things, but for now, given the legality of those things, and my uneasiness about trying them (as to not fuck myself up beyond all repair), I'm easing into this stuff slowly.

3. Collapse Details

My situation relates to yours, glovedeath. Military finishes with us an then toss us aside. With my clearance, I can't even tell the doctors the shit that has me fucked up and not sleeping. It's ridiculous.

4. Collapse Details

Greenlighter
    Hey buddy,

Skip to the 3rd paragraph for the meat'n taters.

First off, I like the profile name. Exactly how I feel. This one, namely. As for your clearance, I wonder what you mean about that. I'm not wishing to know about it, but, if you're out of the military, what's holding to you the tenants of your "sworn secrecy." Fuck all that BS. Of course, perhaps I'm just misinterpreting your conveyed messages. What I'm TRYIN'ta say is, you should be able to tell whoever, whatever. All keeping secrets really does is muddle up the mind (subjectively speaking, of course), IF, said secrets aren't of righteous make-up. If what you know, but aren't willing or think you're unable to share, is just some bullshit that you're not about, fuck it, don't keep it. Not to say that you should find a CNN rep and spill the beans, but, I think you'd be alright in tellin' a doc. If you don't wanna tell ur doc cuz u can't trust him/her (probably true), then PM me. I've got a possible solution for that.

Indeed they do toss us aside, don't they. When you can no longer or are no longer willing to support their f-ed agenda, or when you die doing so, they'll just send their recruiters to the nearest highschools again, and get more sorry, unwitting, indoctrinated and conditioned young kids to fill those boots, and pick up where you may have left off.

Man, onto the real shit. I'd like to hear about what you're struggling with. Expressly, the 'issues' you have, and why you're on this forum. If you can't do that on here, I'd be on board with chatting via VPN (which I could help you set up if you don't know how). I'm curious to know of what ails you, and, not that I think I can be of much or any help, I would like to hear what's on your mind, and how these things that bother you, disrupt your life. I'd expound on my own shit if you're up 4 a dialogue.

Be well buddy -- MC

P.S. Have you ever heard of psychedelic assisted psychotherapy? Also, which state/country are you in?