View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Old acid - is it any good?

Figuratively

Greenlighter
I have some cid mixed with water that's been sitting on my shelf for about 6-7 months. It's been in and out of the fridge.

Is it safe to take or could it have gone bad?
And did it lose of it's potency during that time?

It certainly won't be toxic. If anything it might have lost some potency - maybe all. But there's only one way to find out. Old acid can be quite surprising sometimes, so don't assume it will be weak. Make all the preparations you would normally do for good trip, but don't be disappointed if it's died :)

My guess is still likely strong, especially if it chilled in the fridge at points. But lots of variables could cause me to be wrong. No risk of toxicity, just bunk dose.

-GC

I bet ya its still good. Obviously its good practice to store LSD properly, but I wouldn't underestimate it. I think culturally/on the internet its made to seem that LSD is much more delicate than it really is. I've taken acid thats been years old thats been sitting in foil around my house and its been just as strong as before.

The climate where you live might play a role too. I'd imagine its going to last longer in say Northern Europe than somewhere very hot and humid, for example.

Interested to hear if OP tried it :D

So I did try it out yesterday.

What should have been a 300-350 mcg dose felt like half of it.
But I still had fun regardless and it was an interesting experience. Took it alone in nature while listening to Solar Fields' and The Orb's new albums (Ourdom and No Sounds Are Out Of Bounds, respectively). Felt like heaven! =)

Thanks for the update Figuratively. :) I wish more people who ask questions would come back and update us.

Till this day I will never understand why some acid (blotter only as gels always lasted) stored well stays well and sometimes some fizzle out. I have had blotter stored in a jar and taken it 6 years later and it was fine. The same storage set up sometimes made some lose potency and just about nothing happened. I find less and less dimensions opened up with the kind that lose potency. I have noticed that with morning glory seeds also. Old seeds don't take you there. The topic always interested me. All the topics do. I like reading the posts here about different types of acid. :) Some say it is all the same, others say no way dude. I still don't know. I do know different batches were always a little different. Almost the same way different cannabis strains are.

Glad you had a good time.

I recently got some discolored lsd.
From what i understood the xtals had turned black from sun exposure.
It had lost about 30% potency but was still good to trip on.

Any idea what the lsd degrades to when this happen?

@JackARoe- This likely has to do with the purity of the LSD from the manufacturer. Certain impurities can degrade the molecule but it seems more pure LSD stays stable longer.

To be fair, water is the worst solvent of choice for storing any drug. All LSD liquid I've gotten has been minty ethanol solutions, this likely stores a lot longer. Also if tap water was stupidly used, that'll destroy the LSD too.

-GC

I thought i'd share my experience trying super old 1p-lsd. I bought it 3 years ago and basically left it in my drawer in quite non-optimal storing condition.

I took one 100ug blotter 2 days ago and because i suspected a lot of potency degradation I already prepared to take a second blotter but got pretty surprised when the blotter hit as strong as one wouuld expect it to normally.
In the end, i decided not to take the second tab which in retrospect was probably a good idea because i had a really great solo trip after a huge break from psychedelics.
I'm really positively surprised that this stuff can last for so long with no noticable degradation in potency.

5 days ago I took a 120ug blotter what had been in a small metal tin floating around in my backpack for well over a year, its been exposed to -2 degrees C and all the way up to 30 degrees C and it was still as strong as the day I got it, I seriously couldn't have mistreated it any more than I did and I was still a beautiful experience, No more quadruple wrapping this guy

Yep, most of the time that blotter that is years old still kicks. And storing it in less than optimum places still doesn't effect a lot of it. But I know we have all had some that fizzled after time. Even what seemed good quality hits.

G Chem, interesting on the impurities. Something could be making it iso as it sits. So far that is the only logical explanation, but it still leaves me with a lot of questions. :) I think I have read every thread in bluelight about it and every question has been asked and has gotten some answers.

It's all about proper storage; protect for O2, moisture, heat and UV light. Purge your airtight container with an inert gas (argon, for example) every time you open it. Kepp it in a temp controlled, dark place, and behold the wonder of blotter that is years old. It can and does happen if you go out of your way to preserve it. It is not nearly as fragile as many think. Vacuum sealing does wonders for sheets and larger amounts as well, as it sucks any remaining air when you seal it. When things are hit or miss, or you just want to have it for special occasions, it is a beautiful thing.

Oh, this is great. There's hope for me yet. I've been sitting on two tabs in tinfoil for the last two years. Not sure what I was waiting for, but now I feel like I did not wait in vain.
It's been in my wooden drugs box at room temperature the whole time so I'm guessing it'll be alright, based on what I'm reading here.

Wikkid.