• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Levaquin and xanax

Sertürner

Bluelight Crew
So I have been prescribed levofloxacin for pneumonia. I also take 1mg Xanax 3 times daily. I was doing some research and found out that the levofloxacin inhibits gaba binding? Is taking my Xanax a waste? Or am I putting myself in danger of having benzos withdrawal due to the interaction between the levofloxacin and gaba? I'm pretty concerned.

I know a few people that had many problems mixing the two. I personally would ask for a different class of antibiotics and take the xanax to avoid problems of withdrawals and complications of the levaquin. In fact I would avoid that class of antibiotics even of I was not taking benzos.

I'm a little nervous check this link out. Do can you describe how they felt when combining these together?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...NBqUQFggoMAE&usg=AOvVaw1uxIDBvLYQnY7wWNaRJDvF

Maybe you can print out this article for your docs and ask for a temporary increase in your xanax dose?

I seriously doubt the fluoroquinolones are going to completely nullify the effects of benzos, and IMO you might be setting yourself up for a nocebo effect if you start worrying too much about it.

At any rate, fluoroquinolones are highly effective antibiotics, and as with all drugs, you have to weigh the risks against the benefits. They've probably been overused until recently (heck, they probably still are), but there are plenty of cases where their effectiveness justifies - or even mandates - their use. Remember, pneumonia kills (pre-antibiotics, the death rate was 30% ), so your doc probably had a good reason for bringing out the big guns, so to speak.

I am still taking the LF. I have 4 days left of my regimine. WD symptoms definitely noticeable. I can't seem to find any data on the Ki values of levofloxacin on gaba receptors, specifically gaba-a. Does anyone here have any data on this?