• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How do bladder problems from ketamine use start?

I will say that I have been pain free for a week finally after months of pain. I switched to a better urologist and he diagnosed me and put me on amitriptyline (usual med for this)...after 4 weeks on this drug and ramping the dose up it finally takes effect...and I believe it worked.

Why is amitriptyline prescribed in this case? It is not used as an antidepressant?
Curiosity.

DocLad

It's prescribed for a variety of neuropathic pains. It seems to work with this type of pain even though it isn't neuropathic pain in the purest sense.

My urologist who is a scientific researcher in this field also said that it relaxes the (detrusor) muscle surrounding the bladder by one of it's pharmacological mechanisms (forgot which one)

Wow, I would have thought that NDRI would put tension on the muscles instead of eliminating them.

DocLad

Wow, I would have thought that NDRI would put tension on the muscles instead of eliminating them.

DocLad

It has quite a bit of various activities besides ndri..a "dirty" drug

It doesn't feel stimulating in the slightest

Ironically it is weak NMDA antagonist...and a listed side effect is "cystitis"

But it's a standard treatment for interstitial cystitis pain and patients all seem to say it works

Last edited:
My cat actually got put on amitriptyline for the bladder relaxing/anti-inflammatory properties, after he had multiple urinary blockages.

I'm also having the same issue. Mine happens to be from a non water soluble MA cut. At first I thought it was crystal stuck in the bladder lining because they are sharp. Its been 6 weeks now and I'm in a great deal of pain. It could still be a solid in the bladder causing the problem. I'm beginning to think that was the initial problem. Now the bladder is in full cystitis. The body creating inflammation from the foreign substance. Does this sound logical at all. I've been in and out of the ER, Ive seen 2 doctors and 2 urologists. They have all been clueless, very frustrating. I'm also very worried about my kidneys. The urologist can't even do a cystoscope till October. Please any info would be helpful, ty.

Thanks for looking out for Bluelight Family...I needed some. For better or worse-The music posting has Started. If you look hard enough you'll find it. My of killed my bladder or kidneys jyst to write it. It's in honor of Harm Reduction. Without Bluelight - Communities wouldn't Function-Doesnt matter American or Russian - Stayed Disco'D the best.
Love to Everyone. Peace to FALLEN Soldiers of Life-Time and Tyranny. Peace - Love - Unify.

It's been almost 3 weeks now since last using K, before that I took K 3 weekends in a row (single night, 125-150 mg, in small "partyproof" bumps). Most of the time, I //think// my bladder function has improved since a week or so. But it's variable. Emphasis on "think".

I still can't tell to save my own life (no pun intended), if I really suffer from ketamine damage, or if I'm just drinking a lot and mindfucking myself, being so aware of ketamine risks and all. Yesterday I took what I thought was a small piss, yet my colleague took way shorter. Just an observation. Wouldn't be the first time I prove to be a hypochondriac.

So, Saturday I'll be at a festival... will I take K? That's the question.

Last edited:
It had better be a Damn good festival. I've never been to one before. Use would depend on quality of life i' d imagine. I found out 2 weeks later my shoulder is Fractured. Lidocaine patches don't work on it at all. It's nerve pain-CONSTANT. OPCE + trees and booze - the only pain meds I can take. Opiates will fuck me up FAR worse. I at least bought my mind back. I'm battling this out for Honor. And Liberty. And Justice. To fight mental slavery and ALL Slavery. Hate me or say Fuck You-but feel SOMETHING. Lacking is not ever enough...But sometimes it NEEDS to be.

It's been almost 3 weeks now since last using K, before that I took K 3 weekends in a row (single night, 125-150 mg, in small "partyproof" bumps). Most of the time, I //think// my bladder function has improved since a week or so. But it's variable. Emphasis on "think".

I still can't tell to save my own life (no pun intended), if I really suffer from ketamine damage, or if I'm just drinking a lot and mindfucking myself, being so aware of ketamine risks and all. Yesterday I took what I thought was a small piss, yet my colleague took way shorter. Just an observation. Wouldn't be the first time I proof to be a hypochondriac.

So, Saturday I'll be at a festival... will I take K? That's the question.

take other drugs not k...your bladder is damaged wheter it hurts now or not.

hi there,
before you notice those symptoms, do you feel the need to piss more often after K?
I tried 2fdck at 30mg a few times, and I feel the need to go to toilet a bit more often the following few days. No other discomfort yet for me. I do not know if this is normal or a early warning.
By the way, as part of Janssen's phase 3 trials for esketamine nasal spray, patients received 28-84mg and up to one year. No mentioning of bladder issues. However they use the word 'intermittent', I am not sure that means it's dosed weekly or not.
https://www.janssen.com/long-term-p...plus-oral-antidepressant-delayed-time-relapse

Guess I owe you guys an update.

I did take K a few times recently, partly because I like it so much, and partly because I wanted to get to the bottom of this instead of wondering forever what's the deal with K and my bladder. I did take K less often, though, and in lower doses than usual. Basically 1 bump on a given night, instead of multiple. There were, however, a few occasions since it's summer and festival season and what not. :)

Current impression is I have reduced bladder capacity the day after or so. Sometimes I get a very sudden and distinct urge to piss, like when getting groceries, that I recall was more common back when I started this thread and was dosing higher and more often.

But overall, my bladder capacity seems solid right now. Like, normal. Less visits to the toilet than before, definitely.

So I guess for me, moderation is key. When I go raving like 3 or 4 weekends in a row, which I shouldn't be doing anyway, and this includes multiple bumps of K each time, well then that's bad for my bladder health. But I recover when reducing K use to normal, "year-round" levels, which is like once a month at most.

My saving grace is my current batch of K isn't that good anyway, either that or K is losing its magic for me. Like all drugs eventually do...

Will keep you posted.

I was using dissociatives only few times a year (12 or so) and not binge style, when this problem finally blew up...so moderating.

...granted there had been years early on wheny use was much heavier and I never felt problems.

..my point is that moderation isn't guaranteed to save you if you have a sensitive or inflamed bladder already. Just because it doesn't hurt any given day doesn't mean there is not damage.

I can preach this over and over, but I understand that for most of us drug addicts we only learn through first hand suffering.

Shit I've been feeling better for a month and stimulants are starting to cross my mind again. I can say that with the pain I experienced I am never tempted to touch dissociatives again even though they were my favorite drug class overall. Simply isn't worth risking that kind of pain that lasts for months on end again.