• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Fluoxetine and opioids

Adrianm12

Bluelighter
Hey guys any help would be much appreciated a friend of mine was on 40mg fluoxetine and at the time found no opiate besides tapentadol to have any effect recreationally or medically. He has since weaned down to 20mg a day and eventually 20 every second day, with help of a doctor he is Now off it completely and has been for 7 days. Question is would opiates work again at this given stage? Or would he have to wait the full 5 weeks approx that it takes for fluexetine to be eliminated? Also weird he asked the local pharmacist and was told the elimination period was 2 weeks but everywhere on the internet it says 5 weeks, thanks guys any help would be appreciated

Hi Adrian Welcome to BL.

If I'm understanding this right, are you asking if another opioid will work while the AD-fluoxetine is still clearing? The two don't really interact so,, Yes, any opioid should work now. I find it strange that Tapentadol, which is an outlier as far as the usual's go, but still not an overly strong one and a bit odd that it's the only one that's effective. With Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibiting qualities it's actually not a good idea to combine with Anti Depressants, though not as bad as Tramadol.

Your friend should reevaluate whether or not it's the opioid qualities or the NRI buzz that accompanies Tapentadol that's most attracting about it. But again Opioids (which includes opiates) will work almost identically regardless of whether or not an AD drug is also in the mix.

Adrianm12, i personaly hate antidepressants. i will research and see what pops up, but lMO, I would let that stuff clear. interaction or not, you would be better off not having the anti d in your system.

If your friend is looking into switching to something besides Tapentadol , it would be of note that fluoxetine can effect Cytochrome CYP-2D6 which is responsible for metabolizing Codeine to Morphine through demethylation. This will also have some effect on the O/H-codones and a few others but to a lesser extent than codeine. After 7 days of clearance and forward this should be far less of a problem.

Thankyou very much for your response aswell as on an older thread of mine your responses have been very helpful and appreciated, have a great day!

Thanks for your response, I hate them too to be honest definitely steering away after this!